The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

In another thread I compared some portable amps. One of the amps didn't sound as great as it should, due to the speaker that was in it, so I recorded it with a different speaker. Then I got curious and had 30 min on my hands so I went ahead and made this comparison video, thought it might be useful to people here.

eminence 1028k
    celestion g10 gold
    jensen p10rf (modern)
    eminence ga sc 59 10
    jensen p10r (vintage)
    jupiter 10 sa-p

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice work! 6 speaker swaps and 6 takes in a half hour is impressive. May I ask what guitar, pickup and amp please?

I've been thinking of a 10" swap. You may have saved me from a rabbit hole. There's so many choices, and while the differences are clear who knows which one I'm gonna like with my instrument and my amp. And this is just alnico options!

Having said that, for you instrument, your amp and my ears, I like the Celestion. On my laptop at least...

Thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Nice comparison! I liked the Celestion the best (listening on my iphone) but I am perfectly happy with the modern Jensen P10R in my 5F1 Champ clone (that amp is pretty dark sounding, the Celestion would probably be too dark in that amp, since it has no tone control). The Jensen gives that amp a nice singing tone, rich which mids that makes the amp sound remarkably loud.

User Info Menu

The new Jensen P10/40 BB (Blackbird 40 AlNiCo) would score high in this or any 10" comparison. It's what Mesa/Boogie now use in their new California Tweed 6V6 2:20 combo.

User Info Menu

Celestion Gold adds a lot of body to the notes. It'd make a 15 inch archtop sound like an L5

Ccroft, the guitar is a 2015 L5 CESN with Gibson 57 Classics (on the neck pickup). I recorded the clip into a loop, so that made the multiple takes very easy to do.

Little Jay, I agree a Gold would not sound so great in a champ. The p10r is absolutely the perfect speaker for that amp.

Tal, what does it make this L5 sound like?

I think we have similar tastes here. The gold is an amazing speaker. It has tons of body without giving up clarity and detail. My only hesitation about putting one in this amp is the weight; trying to keep things very light. My second favorite speaker for this amp was the Jupiter 10 SA. I have owned some vintage jensens and during covid went down a rabbit hole of trying to find the closest modern manufactured speaker to that sound. I think Jupiter is on target with their speakers. The reissue jenses are also great. Eminence speakers tend to sound darker to me, oriented for rock distortion. I have liked some weber speakers but many of them have an unpleasant nasal quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    The new Jensen P10/40 BB (Blackbird 40 AlNiCo) would score high in this or any 10" comparison. It's what Mesa/Boogie now use in their new California Tweed 6V6 2:20 combo.
    I've been wanting to try that speaker but they're impossible to find in the US outside of that mesa combo. I have considered ordering one from Thomman in Germany.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Tal, what does it make this L5 sound like?
    Oh I didn't know that you used an L5 for the recording. I guess then I should say that in the context of the comparison, Celestion brought out the smooth highs and fat mids of L5 the most.

User Info Menu

I've been wanting to try that speaker but they're impossible to find in the US outside of that mesa combo. I have considered ordering one from Thomman in Germany.

Definitely worth the effort. A serious contender to Celestion Gold, according to people in the know. I have no personal experience with the latter. While the 12" BB 40 required some getting used to, kinda brimming over with everything, the 10" version was love at first chord. My son's preciously good ears like immensely. Got hold of three, one sent to the US with a TOOB 10S but so recently that there's no feedback yet.

User Info Menu

I just grabbed one from TAD in Germany -- easy purchase, great price, and made it to the States in about three days! Sounds great in my Toob 10S (as recommended by "Gitterbug")!

@Omph -- I love these "comparison/demo" vids you're doing -- thanks for putting the time/energy into them, lots of fun!

I liked the first Jensen the least, and enjoyed all the rest. Your playing is great, too!

I have a Fat Jimmy alnico 10" in my Raezer's Edge open back cab -- you should consider that one! [too bad most of these alnicos are so expensive!]

User Info Menu

Again a nice comparison! For my taste, the Celestion adds too much low end, it sounds a bit hyped in the lows to me.

I love Jensens, but not for jazz. I like four in a bassman though if I want to play some loud blues! They tend to be edgy until overdriven.

I liked the Eminence GA and Jupiter the best, nice clarity and balance of highs and low. The Eminence has the reputation of being a bit dark, and it sounds a bit darker than the Jupiter, but in a nice way. It's a common recommendation for a BF Deluxe, especially when you want to tame the highs a bit.

Jupiter's and Fat Jimmy's are made by WGS, IIRC, and are pretty close to each other. The companies probably tweak a standard model a bit. I have two Fat Jimmy ceramic12/60's, one in a Fat Jimmy amp (naturally), and I liked that one so much I put one in a vintage BF Deluxe Reverb. I think they are a very nice jazz speaker, but they are "American" style speakers, whatever that means, and not just natural flat sounding speakers that some prefer. And not overly dark either, but I don't like very dark speakers, mainly because I don't think they record well.

User Info Menu

Not to hijack but the now out of production Eminence Delta Demon is a great 10" for jazz.

User Info Menu

Great demo, Juan! My favorites were the Celestion and the vintage P10r. Nice playing, too!

User Info Menu

Eminence GA and the Jupiter, esp for the L5. Not too thin on the top end, and those circa 4th string jabs did not sound out of balance there (something I disliked immensely on my L5)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Great demo, Juan! My favorites were the Celestion and the vintage P10r. Nice playing, too!
    Same here, those two were the standouts for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk