The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Hi all,

Is there a device that will allow you hook headphones into a tube amp and allow you to disconnect the internal speaker?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluznjazz
    Hi all,

Is there a device that will allow you hook headphones into a tube amp and allow you to disconnect the internal speaker?

Thanks
    Yes :

and some other ideas https://www.guitarchalk.com/headphon...tar-amp-guide/

S

User Info Menu

this is not advice.

If you connected 8 ohm headphones instead of an 8 ohm speaker, why wouldn't that work?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    this is not advice.

If you connected 8 ohm headphones instead of an 8 ohm speaker, why wouldn't that work?
    Are there headphones available with 8 ohms?
    As far to my knowledge headphones have a higher impedance in order to reduce the output power into the headphone speaker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    this is not advice.

If the headphones could handle the power they draw from the amp it would work. If not, they would be damaged or destroyed. My sense is that 8 ohm headphones are uncommon, and generally (of any impedance) are rated to draw less than a watt (though some can probably handle transients of more power). If you can find a pair of 8 ohm headphones, give it a shot, but I don’t think I’d want to perform this experiment with something that close to my ears.

User Info Menu

What you need is an attenuator, a device that absorbs the power from the amp in a speaker-like way. It typically has outputs for plugging into a PA, mixer desk or recording interface. Some have headphone out. Some have built in IR processing so you can simulate your favorite speaker. Look up UAD (The Ox), Two Notes, Suhr.

They tend to cost a fair bit but if you got a good tube amp it can definitely be worth it.

User Info Menu

The question is indeed legit.

...because it is a very bad idea to connect a different impedance headphone instead of the speaker... even when the headphone impedance is greater. This would not be an issue with a solid state amp.

However tube amps end are designed to be one intefrated system with the speaker, as an active inductive item. So changing the impedance will alter the behavior of the amp end, and probably not in a good way.

You may want to google: attenuator, and find one with headphone or line out which is available near to you and have an acceptable price tag for you.

User Info Menu

This is the cheapest tube amp attenuator I know:
    Bugera | Product | PS1

It has a cab emulated mic out. You can use it for headphones if you already have an audio interface (or a headphone amp).

User Info Menu

The current from the tube amp to the speaker will almost certainly damage headphones, which cannot handle the wattage the amp puts out. Running a tube amp with no speaker connected will damage the amp. The device linked above will work, and there are others available.

User Info Menu

OP! FWIW all the info is in my first reply. https://www.guitarchalk.com/headphon...tar-amp-guide/ with interview and product detailing by Dr Rivera. Even if you don't get his product you'll get an idea why you should not trust a 50$ gizmo to save your (+$2-$3K and more) tube amp....

The right tool is expensive and so are tube amps.....

S

Disclaimer I have no affiliation with any of the brands or resellers of the products described.