The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey everyone, Im new here

I have a gibson ES-165 (floating pu model) and the tailpiece broke. I want to buy a replacement but they are nowhere to be found. I am looking for an alternative and want to know the dimensions of the tailpiece.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Check this out. They have what you need. They only had black for awhile, but recently restocked the nickel and gold ones.
    WD Replacement Tailpiece For Vintage Gibson ES-175

User Info Menu

Often, shops that do horn repairs as their core business. can repair guitar tailpieces. Not sure if that goes for your tailpiece as no pictures were included in your post. But, you can try and if succesfull, your 165 will have only original parts.
    If looking for an alternative, I have a L5CT tailpiece lying around...

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    Check this out. They have what you need. They only had black for awhile, but recently restocked the nickel and gold ones.
    WD Replacement Tailpiece For Vintage Gibson ES-175
    haha I was just looking at this before. My main concern was if this tailpiece is the same dimensions as the 165 one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nadude95
    haha I was just looking at this before. My main concern was if this tailpiece is the same dimensions as the 165 one
    Pretty sure they are the same dimensions. I think the zig zag shape is slightly different than the original but not by much.

User Info Menu

The bottom plate screw holes are the same as an ES-175 so it should work okay. It is plated brass so it should be a good replacement. It has the more spread apart zigzag than the ones tha came out in the '50's, but should look right on your guitar because the Gibson ES-165's was a wide spread. Also they have a friendly return policy unless you ordered a custom pick guard.