The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I was just watching a really nice video of two guitarists and one of them was playing a Lakewood acoustic. I went to their site to have a look and found some really unusual specs.
    Checkout the numbers on this one: The scale length is 25.6" and the nut width is 1.81". That just seems like the perfect size to me for fingerstyle player.

Lakewood Guitars - Guitar details M-14 CP

And this is the video that got me to look it up. Josco come in about half way through. I don't think I've ever seen him play a Tele before but he plays it really nicely. I thought his electric tone was a perfect complement to her earthier acoustic sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jim I went to look this up just out of curiosity. Yes they have different specs that are unusual. I not a fan of the scale length at 25.6 weird and nothing Martin about it. The wider neck would certainly be good for some players. But now I am going to tell you the truth I really do not like flattop guitars at all. To me they simply are too restrictive in what they can do and how they are set up. I am in the Jimmy D'Acquisto camp that says the Archtop is the ultimate acoustic guitar because of what you can do so easily without any major work, many things to affect the tone and playability. Have you given an archtop a good look? If I cannot change the action on a fly then the guitar is not worth playing to me.

User Info Menu

I have long been an acoustic guitar player, but more recently have moved almost exclusively to archtop. For acoustic sound, my Gibson Citation has the sound I wanted to hear. I also have an Eastman Frank Vignola FV-880CE. It seems a bit louder than my Citation acoustically, but not by much. I think the Eastman sound is more focused and that may contribute to that perception.

However, the Citation has a roundness or warmth and depth to its acoustic sound that the Eastman lacks. The Eastman was designed for a certain type of sound and that is what it does, so I am not faulting it. I would assume that other Gibson archtops that are hand carved would yield a similar sound as my Citation.

I can't really see playing that slapping and tapping stuff on an archtop, but maybe it would work. Fortunately, that is not something that interests me though.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Jim I went to look this up just out of curiosity. Yes they have different specs that are unusual. I not a fan of the scale length at 25.6 weird and nothing Martin about it. The wider neck would certainly be good for some players. But now I am going to tell you the truth I really do not like flattop guitars at all. To me they simply are too restrictive in what they can do and how they are set up. I am in the Jimmy D'Acquisto camp that says the Archtop is the ultimate acoustic guitar because of what you can do so easily without any major work, many things to affect the tone and playability. Have you given an archtop a good look? If I cannot change the action on a fly then the guitar is not worth playing to me.
    Really, I posted this more as an object worthy of discussion (especially given the quality of the recording and performance) more than any real interest in owning one. I've owned several archtops and flat tops over the years but I never seem to keep them all that long. A while ago I realized that I'm really only happy playing smaller thin lines and planks. That being said, I do like listening to flat tops in the right hands. I think they are capable of some remarkable sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I was just watching a really nice video of two guitarists and one of them was playing a Lakewood acoustic. I went to their site to have a look and found some really unusual specs.
    Checkout the numbers on this one: The scale length is 25.6" and the nut width is 1.81". That just seems like the perfect size to me for fingerstyle player.

Lakewood Guitars - Guitar details M-14 CP

And this is the video that got me to look it up. Josco come in about half way through. I don't think I've ever seen him play a Tele before but he plays it really nicely. I thought his electric tone was a perfect complement to her earthier acoustic sound.

Very nice playing by Sophie and Josco ....and a great recording too.. Reminded me a bit of Billy McLaughlin's playing' from a loong time ago:

thanks for posting....

S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SOLR
    Very nice playing by Sophie and Josco ....and a great recording too.. Reminded me a bit of Billy McLaughlin's playing' from a loong time ago:

thanks for posting....

S
    Finger Dance has always been a great piece of music!

User Info Menu

Lakewood is THE german brand when it comes to steelstring guitars. I've owned a model of their short-lived crossover nylonstrings some 10 years ago and also a jumbo steelstring model. The build quality is very high and has been so from the start some 30 years ago, testament to a dedicated staff and competent company leadership by Martin Seeliger. While they all look and feel good I have not kept the guitars for a longer time - their sound is just not what I listen for in such a guitar. Here in this clip it looks as if the guitar is recorded with a single AKG condenser mic plus a built-in pickup. How these two signals were treated in post-production is anyone's guess...
    Likewise I cannot find anything in this performance by an undeniably able guitarist/percussionist . The tone reminds me of a harpsichord (the low tuning doesn't help), the tune is repetitive, circling around the diatonic chords while avoiding any ever so slight dissonance and in general this type of playing had it's magic moments way back in the 80's when Michael Hedges exploded on the scene with his "Aereal Boundaries" album. I've had my fill then and went on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Really, I posted this more as an object worthy of discussion (especially given the quality of the recording and performance) more than any real interest in owning one. I've owned several archtops and flat tops over the years but I never seem to keep them all that long. A while ago I realized that I'm really only happy playing smaller thin lines and planks. That being said, I do like listening to flat tops in the right hands. I think they are capable of some remarkable sounds.
    Jim, you might enjoy THIS :

Jamie Findlay is a true master .....

User Info Menu

As for choosing an archtop acoustic vs a flat top, I think it's glaringly obvious that a good sounding flat top can be had for significantly less money than an archtop. Lower tier archtops tend to sound pretty "Blah"; maybe ok with a pickup but played acoustic they don't respond well at all to cost saving construction and materials. You can find plenty of very affordable 6 strings than punch way above their weight class.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Jim, you might enjoy THIS :

Jamie Findlay is a true master .....
    Yes, Jamie Findlay is a true master.
    I've played that Lakewood and it is a fantastic guitar!

Jamie and Tim Lerch are frequently a duo around these parts and when the 2 of them get together, it's astounding! Mind blowing actually!
    He also plays a Heritage 575 custom that's crazy nice, and some nylon stringed guitars, as well as a nice Hofner Jazzica that he got from someone I know!