The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

The 'extra noises' might be caused by fret slap. Try raising the bridge just a little. The G slot might be just a hair too deep. Or it could be something else, archtops are notorious for having buzzes and rattles, with myriad causes.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    The 'extra noises' might be caused by fret slap. Try raising the bridge just a little. The G slot might be just a hair too deep. Or it could be something else, archtops are notorious for having buzzes and rattles, with myriad causes.
    It's something else, the noise comes from the bridge.
    I put a sponge between the bridge and the tailpiece when it's too disturbing but it kills a bit the acoustic sound.

User Info Menu

"extra noises" almost always seem to come from the bridge!

Your sponge solution is one that dampens the strings between tailpiece and saddle? I know that a certain amount of people do that because they don't like the slight sounds that those parts of the string produce (and that will usually not have any relationship to the notes you're playing). Try some felt zig-zagged between the strings, that shouldn't affect the acoustic sound beyond dampening those additional high notes (does your sponge touch the saddle?!).
    Also check how the strings touch the tailpiece: if you're only hearing it on the G string it may be that this string "rattles" against the tailpiece. My Loar has one of those traditional style Gibson wire tailpieces where the low E *almost* touches one of the 2 nuts holding the thing together. I put a piece of leather between that nut and the string, mostly for piece of mind.

User Info Menu

I have one guitar that needs damping of the strings between the bridge and tailpiece. I use rubber grommets, placed between the strings. It only takes 3 to damp all 6 strings, but some people prefer one between each string pair. It stops the ringing and other noises, but doesn't interfere with the top vibration. That might or might not help on this guitar, but it's a cheap and easy thing to try. I've also threaded a piece of flat rubber through the strings there, but I prefer the grommets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    "extra noises" almost always seem to come from the bridge!

Your sponge solution is one that dampens the strings between tailpiece and saddle? I know that a certain amount of people do that because they don't like the slight sounds that those parts of the string produce (and that will usually not have any relationship to the notes you're playing). Try some felt zig-zagged between the strings, that shouldn't affect the acoustic sound beyond dampening those additional high notes (does your sponge touch the saddle?!).
    Also check how the strings touch the tailpiece: if you're only hearing it on the G string it may be that this string "rattles" against the tailpiece. My Loar has one of those traditional style Gibson wire tailpieces where the low E *almost* touches one of the 2 nuts holding the thing together. I put a piece of leather between that nut and the string, mostly for piece of mind.
    The sponge doesn't touch the saddles, it's between the tailpiece and the bridge.
    Acoustically it sounds good but there is a kind of overdrived sound.
    When I play it I will inspect this tailpiece, the piece of leather seems a good idea.
    If it's come from the tailpiece, I might put some cork.
    I really suspect the bridge.

User Info Menu

Hi !

I received the wooden bridge, the buzz has gone.
    Thanks !

User Info Menu

Over the years I've come to the (possibly mistaken) conclusion that constantly tightening the strings causes the hole in the wood base to become elliptical, the fix? a set of roller saddles and a new bridge / base. You may find that intonation is off but will have adjustment where now you most likely do not.