The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I'll ask anyway. Is there anyway to remove a stain from the guitar finish once it's there? I always wear a sleeve on my arm if I have short sleeves on to prevent the arm discoloration I seem to produce in the lacquer. For some reason recently and undetected this sleeve has bled in to the lacquer. Can you see the irony here!! I've had partial luck with compounds but anyone ever got rid of staining once it's there?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If it is poly it will buff out. Nitro the color went through the lacquer.

User Info Menu

It happened to my blonde Campellone and nothing could be done to remove it. It bothered me so much that I sold the guitar and ordered a new one. Now I either use a cloth or wear an Oasis Guitar Sleeve. Oasis(R) OH-8 Guitar Sleeve - Oasis Humidifiers
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    If it is poly it will buff out. Nitro the color went through the lacquer.
    Nitro it is

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    It happened to my blonde Campellone and nothing could be done to remove it. It bothered me so much that I sold the guitar and ordered a new one. Now I either use a cloth or wear an Oasis Guitar Sleeve. Oasis(R) OH-8 Guitar Sleeve - Oasis Humidifiers
    Keith
    The sleeve looks exactly like what I'm using same material too. Been wearing it for a few years with no problem just sort of showed up recently. Happened on at least 3 of my guitars before I noticed. Ugh....

User Info Menu

I simply wear a long sleeve shirt rather than some special article of clothing for playing guitar. I have yet to experience this kind of issue. That doesn't help with the OP's current problem, but might be something to consider moving forward.

Tony

User Info Menu

As a Hail Mary, you could try Virtuoso Cleaner. It is pretty powerful stuff. It may reduce the appearance of stain but not remove it completely.

As for sleeves, I wear these long forearm sleeves for bicyclists that protect against getting too much UV. I have them in white and grey/gray.

User Info Menu

You can't possibly be serious, can you? You sold a guitar, a Campellone at that, because it showed a little evidence that you played it? Dude, you can fight nature but you will always lose. I'm really shocked by this. I appreciate the 2 great guitars I own and take care of them, but I accept the fact that using them makes them look used and sometimes they get banged into a music stand or a belt buckle because there's a music stand nearby and I don't (always) want my pants to fall down. Take it easy on yourself man
    Keith

User Info Menu

I wonder if Fender Custom Shop and Gibson Murphy will release a new class of relicing: "Ironically damaged by over-scrupulous collector".

User Info Menu

Save your money, boys. I have used a white cotton sock with the toe cut out for over 30 years. When I'm gigging, I wear a white tuxedo shirt. No problem.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    As a Hail Mary, you could try Virtuoso Cleaner. It is pretty powerful stuff. It may reduce the appearance of stain but not remove it completely.

As for sleeves, I wear these long forearm sleeves for bicyclists that protect against getting too much UV. I have them in white and grey/gray.
    I did try virtuoso cleaner as you suspected did reduce it and not remove it. That is exactly the sleeve I’ve been wearing. Nu Balance happened to be black. I think it’s gone on over time who would have thought??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    You can't possibly be serious, can you? You sold a guitar, a Campellone at that, because it showed a little evidence that you played it? Dude, you can fight nature but you will always lose. I'm really shocked by this. I appreciate the 2 great guitars I own and take care of them, but I accept the fact that using them makes them look used and sometimes they get banged into a music stand or a belt buckle because there's a music stand nearby and I don't (always) want my pants to fall down. Take it easy on yourself man
    Good excuse to buy a new one. Yeah, the color is all wrong ... LoL

User Info Menu

With the current medication I am taking, I have been losing hair so I just cut it all off. When I go out in the Minnesota winter, I wear a hat that my wife bought me. It is one of those that you pull down over your ears. You see in movies and TV that the guys who break into houses or commercial fishermen wear those. It is a knit cap that is dark blue that is probably similar to warm sock material. I could see something made out of that material leaking onto a guitar eventually.

A normal everyday long sleeve shirt ought to be much safer than something like that.

Tony

User Info Menu

"I could see something made out of that material leaking onto a guitar eventually."

Just don't play the guitar w your head and you'll be fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "I could see something made out of that material leaking onto a guitar eventually."

Just don't play the guitar w your head and you'll be fine.
    Well, how am I supposed to play guitar by ear then?

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I wonder if Fender Custom Shop and Gibson Murphy will release a new class of relicing: "Ironically damaged by over-scrupulous collector".
    It’s just Murphy’s Law.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    I simply wear a long sleeve shirt rather than some special article of clothing for playing guitar. I have yet to experience this kind of issue. That doesn't help with the OP's current problem, but might be something to consider moving forward.

Tony
    It was actually the dye from shirts that damaged my guitar. We were playing several gigs outdoors during a very hot/humid period. At first I didn’t notice it and when I did, it was too late. Some fabrics seem to shed dye (there have been discussions here about dye from guitar cases damaging finish).
    Keith

User Info Menu

Yes, I did. I am a huge fan of Campellones, but the stain really bothered me. After giving it considerable thought, I decided to replace the old one (a Deluxe) with a new Special. I sold the Deluxe to a happy buyer and the net cost to upgrade wasn’t that much. I love my Special and I play it regularly at home, but I seldom take it out on gigs. My regular gigging guitars show some scars and that’s ok, but my Campellone Special is the one guitar that I take extra care of.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Fwiw, so called "selvedge' denim, which is what $225.00 and up jeans are made with is very prone to dye bleeding. I was shopping for jeans a while back and came across a pair on top of the pile and read the little blurb on the tag. Paraphrased, these jeans should not be washed () and will readily bleed color onto any fabric you come in contact with. All that for just $250! Would be wise to assume they'll stain the side of a guitar too.
    It was actually the dye from shirts that damaged my guitar. We were playing several gigs outdoors during a very hot/humid period. At first I didn’t notice it and when I did, it was too late. Some fabrics seem to shed dye (there have been discussions here about dye from guitar cases damaging finish).
    Keith

User Info Menu

Nothing stains a guitar more than a Cedar Creek case.

User Info Menu

I once had a mint '66 Fender Super reverb amp. I brought it to a shop for service, and the guy knocked something over and put a 3 inch rip in the otherwise perfect grill cloth. The guy was apologetic and made good on it with tubes or something like that, but I could never look at that amp the same way again and had to sell it.

User Info Menu

Yes, I did. I am a huge fan of Campellones, but the stain really bothered me. After giving it considerable thought, I decided to replace the old one (a Deluxe) with a new Special. I sold the Deluxe to a happy buyer and the net cost to upgrade wasn’t that much. I love my Special and I play it regularly at home, but I seldom take it out on gigs. My regular gigging guitars show some scars and that’s ok, but my Campellone Special is the one guitar that I take extra care of.
    Keith
    Same here brother! That's because they are practically works of art. But I don't baby it when I'm playing it, I'm just careful not to knock it into anything.

It's funny, I have actually heard of people intentionally putting a scratch in their guitars so any other nicks won't bother them! Seriously!

On another note (Bb), I Have a friend who has a gorgeous '52 D28, with an Adirondack spruce top, very rare. It is in near mint condition-except the previous owner left a brown strap across it for like 20 years, and it had a brown stripe from stem to stern. I borrowed it several times from him for sessions. That guitar was so great, I still tried to buy it from him despite the mark!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Same here brother! That's because they are practically works of art. But I don't baby it when I'm playing it, I'm just careful not to knock it into anything.

It's funny, I have actually heard of people intentionally putting a scratch in their guitars so any other nicks won't bother them! Seriously!

On another note (Bb), I Have a friend who has a gorgeous '52 D28, with an Adirondack spruce top, very rare. It is in near mint condition-except the previous owner left a brown strap across it for like 20 years, and it had a brown stripe from stem to stern. I borrowed it several times from him for sessions. That guitar was so great, I still tried to buy it from him despite the mark!
    Interesting about the strap stripe. There is enough room in my Gibson Citation case for the strap to remain on the guitar. I take a couple of microfiber cloths and lay them on the guitar top and then the strap on that to hopefully prevent that kind of problem.

As for a scratch or nick, mine is (so far) dead mint and I hope it stays that way. I try to be careful not to bump it into anything, but so far it has gotten some very gentle bumps that have not harmed it. It will never leave my condo.

If something happened to it I wouldn't be able to replace it because it is kind of rare and quite expensive, more than I could raise for a guitar purchase at this point.

Tony

User Info Menu

I have a guitar that has case bleed. I remembered that a lot of dyes fade from sunlight. I decided to give it a tan and the stain lightened a lot. Still there though. Just an idea. I like a pumpkin spruce top, and that's how it happens. UV light.