The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 121

User Info Menu

mini review - Henriksen Bud 6

some background:

For my main amp, i'm using an aguilar TH-500 amplifier through one or two Aguilar SL112 cabs. For guitar, I use a helix modeler. It sounds great through the aguilar rig. Both bass and guitar sound steller. I can also run the TH-500 into one or two mojotone 1x12 cabs (DVMark Pearl neo speaker) and it sounds even better for guitar. I also use this rig for bass and it's really an incredible setup.

This rig works at any volume level and I can get a wild array of tones from rock to fusion to metheny/benson/martino jazz.

However, it's somewhat cumbersome to haul around and there's an array of chords to plug in. For a jam session, I find this setup inconvenient. I'm retired from using tube amps so I didn't want to mess around with that. I also have tried some of the new fender mastertone series amps. They are modeling amps made specifically to emulate the deluxe reverb and the twin reverb. They may have another one or two out by now. They sound pretty good and are very light but without a tweeter, don't work all that well for acoustic guitar and of course are not suitable for bass.

I considered getting a quilter aviator or toneblock 202 but the last time I had a 202, it reminded me of an amp with the bright switch on all the time and I always had to turn my guitar's tone control down to get a sound I liked. It's a great amp though and aside from the brightness issue, is one of my favorite amps ever. Alas, taking a head out still meant additional setup time and messing around with a bunch of cables.

So for a year or so, I've been listening to clips of the Henriksen Bud 6. It's 13lb, 120w 9"x9"x9" amp with a 6" ported cab and a tweeter. It has 2 channels, reverb and is idealized for archtop guitar. Its tone controls are idealized for guitar. 3.5k on the treble and a 7.5k presence control for bass or acoustic guitar.

The henriksen seems to be an ideal amplifier for:

1) Small coffee shop gig
    2) Acoustic / archtop Guitar
    3) Working with a modeler
    4) Grab and go / portability

I received it yesterday. It's an incredibly well put together package and exudes quality. The weight is golden for me. It's so light that it feels like a toy. But it certainly doesn't sound like one.

First of all, it's VERY LOUD. A lot of SS amps are using the ICEPower class D modules. They make a huge variety of power packages and the most common are the 175w and 200w modules. These are used by many commercial manufacturers including seymour duncan, milkman, raezer's edge and others.

I have found that the 200w ice module is not super loud. I'm not sure how they measure the power but using 175w and 200w ice module amps, I have always felt them to be on the verge of not being quite loud enough in a 4 piece band with electric bass and a horn.

I haven't had a chance to use the henriksen live yet but in my tests, it seems a lot louder than the 200w ICEPower based amps. I'm curious what henriksen is using for power modules. Maybe they can comment. Or perhaps, it's the efficiency of the 6" speaker and the sealed cab?

At any rate, I can't imagine this amp not being loud enough for any gig. One question is whether the 6" speaker would be enough to fill a room on a large gig. I think common sense would tell you that it probably wouldn't in a large hall with a large band. However, my gut feeling is that for most 4-5 piece gigs you could easily use this amp and the 6" speaker would sound good. Obviously, it's going to sound more full and room-filling with an additional speaker. I sat the amp on top of my mojotone 1x12 lite with a dvmark pearl neo speaker in it and it's glorious used in that way. Super loud and very full sounding. That cab weighs only about 20lb so it'd be easy to leave in the trunk and go grab it if needed for a super loud gig.

I tried the henriksen briefly with my acoustic guitar and with a modeler. It sounds good for both uses though I miss the booming bottom end I can get out of a larger speaker with the acoustic guitar.

This amp is really an engineering marvel. More updates later.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the 6, 10, and 12. Henriksen IMO is the best amp for jazz on the market. The 6 really is a absolute marvel for its size.
    Huge tone in a small package.

The 6 really shines when you have it on a small stool off the floor.

Congrats Jack !

User Info Menu

I'd have written the exact same review about my Blu 6, Jack. These are becoming the gold standard for jazz guitar amplification for gigging players. What I like most about my Blu 6 is that the low A 7th string on all of my guitars (archtop, solid, and flattop) has the same character as the rest of the set. There's no booming 2nd harmonic peak and there's no flab. And the size makes them fabulous geezer gear!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review, Jack! Been thinking of one of these myself to generally downsize since any gigging besides assisted living venues is pretty much in the rearview mirror at this point in life. Will be hard to part with my Evans RE200, though.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I have the 6, 10, and 12. Henriksen IMO is the best amp for jazz on the market. The 6 really is a absolute marvel for its size.
    Huge tone in a small package.

The 6 really shines when you have it on a small stool off the floor.

Congrats Jack !
    i forgot to mention that someone told me not to put it on the carpet because of the bottom facing port. I tried it both on the carpet as well as a wood floor. What I found was that this amp has a surprising amount of bottom end, particularly when you get it loud enough to play with a drummer. At quiet volumes it sounds a little more full on a wood floor but as you turn it up, the bottom end feels better on carpet or up on a stool as @vinnyv1k mentions.

User Info Menu

I just bought earlier this week. I was able to use a discount code to get 5% off (send me a PM if you are interested in the code).

My main use will be with a gypsy jazz guitar and a DPA4099. Although, I have a couple archtops I can also test it with. Looking forward to checking it out when I receive it.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the club JZ.

A few years back, when Henriksen came out with the Blu 6 (the first Class D amp they made), I heard that my old pal Bruce Forman was using one. Back when Bruce and I were doing some gigs together, he told me that he never found a solid state amp that he liked for jazz guitar, I figured that if Bruce liked the new Henriksen, I had to try one.

Sure enough, I loved it. 11 pounds and loud enough to play any gig, though I do like to use an extension cabinet when I want to push more air.

I have since acquired a Blu 10 (nice with a solid body for the extra bass response and pretty easy to carry at 20 pounds) and a Bud 6 (Sometimes it is nice to have the second channel). Perhaps I need a Bud 10 to complete the collection ?

These amps are indeed a marvel of engineering and are the gold standard in jazz guitar amplification today. Polytone and Acoustic Image are now part of my past.

I do have a vintage Fender Tube amp (Sometimes, only a tube amp will do) and two Raezer's Edge cabinets (made by Rich himself) for gigs where I want to move more air. I think my amplification needs are now met for the rest of my days.

If I could only have one amp. it would be the Bud 6.

User Info Menu

I'm not surprised if we see a wave of Henriksen reviews coming up on the forum, since there have been a lot of them for sale here lately at very reasonable prices (thank you sellers!).

Jack, thanks for writing this review. I've been recently going through a similar path and have been experimenting with SS amps lately. I've recently played the Fender Tonemaster Deluxe, the Quilter Aviator Cub Combo, The Quilter Superblock, the Henriksen Blu, and (as of just today, the Henriksen Bud 10"). I've fortunately gotten to try almost all of these in a 7 piece group with a drummer. The only ones I haven't checked out with a drummer yet are the 10" Bud and the Quilter Superblock (awaiting a raezers edge open back cab).

Of the bunch, the Blu 6" has been the most surprising. Last night I took it to rehearsal and it was a thoroughly positive experience. I had my guitar in a gig bag on my back and the blu in its on gig bag hanging comfortably like a messenger bag. Both arms completely free and comfortable enough I could have walked miles with this gear.

I will share some thoughts on the sound from my comparisons in case anyone's interested. I've been taking these amps to practice for the last few weeks and forming an impression.The guitar I'm playing through them is a 1950 Gibson L7 with a Dearmond Guitar Mike. It is a tricky guitar to get sounding right at high volumes but once it's dialed in, it's probably my favorite archtop sound.

Quilter Aviator Cub. I got this for <$500 shipped. Man what a value. The amp in this thing is really incredible. For $500 there just isn't a better amp. Unlike the ToneMaster which is a digital computer with a neodymium speaker, the Quilter is all analog with a large ceramic speaker. It sounded much more natural to my ears than the ToneMaster I've gotten to pluf into lately. It is on the bright side, as people have said, but that hasn't bugged me because I play archtops that sometimes need the extra treble and because I had a darker speaker that I plugged into it to smooth it out just a bit. However, I've never been a fan of 12" speakers for archtops. At louder volumes with the band, I just had so much trouble finding the sweet spot between too much and too little bass. This motivated me to try another approach.

Quilter SuperBlock US. This is the head version of the Aviator combo. Again, I spotted a good enough deal that I could break even selling it used and decided to try this out. I plugged it into a Fender Princeton (actually a headstrong) cabinet with a 10" Celestion Gold. Depending on the amp, the 10" Celestion gold is the best speaker out there in my opinion. It's hard to describe but it distributes sound in such a perfect way with so smooth detail. It pairs perfectly with the superblock head. The sound of this rig is much better than the standard aviator combo due to the smaller, better speaker and superior cabinet design/construction. I have a Raezer's Edge Cabinet on the way to complete this rig and make it more portable. This setup captures my idealized version of the Fender Blackface sound so well, with a great tactile feel and saturation you can dial. The only downside to this rig is that you need to carry a separate head and cabinet. However, the head is 2 lbs and as big as a guitar pedal, so it fits in the gig bag.

Henriksen Blu 6. Already described above. Really impressed with the sound of this one. Worked perfectly with a 7 piece ensemble playing hardbop.

Henriksen Bud 10. I ordered this one after hearing tim lerch get some really nice comping and lead tones out of it. [By the way, save 5% on any Henriksen amps with the promo code "TIMLERCH"]

The preamp of the Bud is a bit different from the Blu. I don't know if they are differences that affect the sound much but I can just say I am liking this bud a lot, and I didn't care as much for the Blu 10 that I had and sold a couple years ago. It's kind of interesting: I much prefer the Blu 6 over the Bud 6, but I think I like the Bud 10 more than the Blu 10 (at least my recollection of the Blu 10). For others who are curious about the sound of the 10" vs 6", I feel this is accurate (at least with respect to the Bud 10).

I started this journey very much with a preference of quilter amps over Henriksen, at least in terms of the tonal footprint: quilter being more tube-like and henriksen more transparent. I did find that with the Bud 10" I was able to approximate the Fender sound a bit more by turning on bright mode and reducing the high mids. To get some of the tube saturation, I've been using this pedal, which is an "always on" version of my favorite overdrive. (No, I'm not into distortion, I just use it to provide some subtle saturation and harmonic complexity.)

I'm going to continue alternating amps at rehearsals and concerts to find which one suits me better long term, but I am definitely convinced of the quality and tone of the Henriksens. I'm happy to see others sharing their thoughts too.

User Info Menu

Oomph,

I do not think the different preamp of the Bud v. The Blu has much effect on tone. My Bud 6 and Blu 6 sound pretty much alike. I would bet we would have a hard time hearing much difference between the Bud 10 and Blu 10. I will have to bring your old Blu 10 over the next time we meet and we can put that to the test.

User Info Menu

I don’t doubt that. I think it’s more likely that I’ve come to appreciate this amps quite a bit more than I did before.

the only part of the Bud preamp that directly differentiates it from the Blu is the “bright” switch, which I like to use for some guitars.

User Info Menu

I haven’t tried the Bud to compare and they certainly come highly rated.

I’d be remiss not to point out that a Toob Metro with a Quilter Superblock US makes an even more portable and nonetheless very capable jazz guitar amp with plenty of bottom end and a decent sounding reverb (at around 2.5kg). It’s also rather a lot cheaper.

tbh my AER has been collecting dust since I got it. Maybe I’m just a spoiled brat for balking at hauling 6kg, but it’s amazing how much of a difference it makes to have a super light set up. The best thing is being a head/speaker solution you can mix and match speaker solutions and stash the head in your gig bag which makes the schlep a lot easier. I’m off the combos tbh.

Now, if they made a Henricksen micro head…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    i forgot to mention that someone told me not to put it on the carpet because of the bottom facing port. I tried it both on the carpet as well as a wood floor. What I found was that this amp has a surprising amount of bottom end, particularly when you get it loud enough to play with a drummer. At quiet volumes it sounds a little more full on a wood floor but as you turn it up, the bottom end feels better on carpet or up on a stool as @vinnyv1k mentions.
    I made a little flat solid "platform" to use when on a carpet for reflection/dispersion. Fits right in the case with the amp. I also made a bigger one that fits in my gear bag for even more dispersion.

Henriksen Bud 6 mini review-budstand-jpg

User Info Menu

The first time I brought mine to my loud big band and set it up, the leader said "What the heck are you gonna do with *that*? Everyone thought I was crazy, until they heard it.

I *really* wish they would come out with a Bud 8. Just a little more bottom and less midrange.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 11-12-2022 at 07:36 PM.

User Info Menu

i have a Bud 6, 10 and FOrte...great amps...i usually grab the bud 6 for grab and go but lately been bringing the 10 to change things up...man i forgot how nice this thing sounds.

User Info Menu

I've had a JazzAmp 112 for over 10 years and a Bud 6 for about 5 years. They cover absolutely all my needs. That said, I agree with Woody: I'd love to see Henriksen come out with a Bud 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I haven’t tried the Bud to compare and they certainly come highly rated.

I’d be remiss not to point out that a Toob Metro with a Quilter Superblock US makes an even more portable and nonetheless very capable jazz guitar amp with plenty of bottom end and a decent sounding reverb (at around 2.5kg). It’s also rather a lot cheaper.

tbh my AER has been collecting dust since I got it. Maybe I’m just a spoiled brat for balking at hauling 6kg, but it’s amazing how much of a difference it makes to have a super light set up. The best thing is being a head/speaker solution you can mix and match speaker solutions and stash the head in your gig bag which makes the schlep a lot easier. I’m off the combos tbh.

Now, if they made a Henricksen micro head…
    Superblock doesn't have enough power for a loud group. The bud 6 can compete with a VERY LOUD group. Also, there's something to be said for a self contained combo that doesn't require hooking up speaker cables. I also like having a standard power connector on the bud...

User Info Menu

Superblock doesn't have enough power for a loud group. The bud 6 can compete with a VERY LOUD group. Also, there's something to be said for a self contained combo that doesn't require hooking up speaker cables. I also like having a standard power connector on the bud...
    The SBUS isn't up to playing with Tower of Power, for sure (at least not without sound reinforcement). But it's amazingly loud through an efficient speaker. It stands up to electric blues bands very well through my 10" Toob, and it does fine against a Hammond through a Leslie 3000, triamped 2000W bass rig (a ridiculous bass amp for a small club), a large racked Bucks County drum set, tenor, and vocalists. The club has a few tousand watts of house sound with multiple mics on the drums and Leslie - it's actually too loud for my taste and I wear IEMs to protect myself. But when I tried out my SBUS there, it was surprisingly up to the task without sound einforcement (as is the Blu 6, BTW).

Yes, mu Blu 6 is louder. But the SBUS does a lot more than its size and power rating suggest it should.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    The SBUS isn't up to playing with Tower of Power, for sure (at least not without sound reinforcement). But it's amazingly loud through an efficient speaker. It stands up to electric blues bands very well through my 10" Toob, and it does fine against a Hammond through a Leslie 3000, triamped 2000W bass rig (a ridiculous bass amp for a small club), a large racked Bucks County drum set, tenor, and vocalists. The club has a few tousand watts of house sound with multiple mics on the drums and Leslie - it's actually too loud for my taste and I wear IEMs to protect myself. But when I tried out my SBUS there, it was surprisingly up to the task without sound einforcement (as is the Blu 6, BTW).

Yes, mu Blu 6 is louder. But the SBUS does a lot more than its size and power rating suggest it should.
    do you know what module is in the SBUS? I have used the slightly smaller version of the ICEPower300 that is in the henriksen (ICEPower200) in several configurations including raezer's edge luna, seymour duncan powerstage 200 and milkman "The Amp" (all 3 use the same ICEPower 200w module) and all 3 are underpowered with a large group. Not unusable but unpleasantly mushy. In my case it was a jazz trio but with a loud drummer.

I also unsuccessfully used a dvmark 50w 1x12 amp with the same group. Same issue, slightly worse.

I haven't used the henriksen with the same group but it's noticably louder than any of those 4 amps. Of course, a single 6 is probably going to get swamped in that configuration but when I run the henriksen with my mojotone 1x12 (DVMark Pearl speaker), it's ridiculously loud. Louder than a twin reverb...

User Info Menu

do you know what module is in the SBUS?
    I haven't been able to find out. I also have a MicroBlock that's rated at 45W, but it's not as loud as the "25W" SBUS through the same speakers.

I bought a DVM Little Jazz when they first went on sale at MF about 2 years ago, and it did pretty well with my usual groups. But I love your description, Jack! It was definitely a bit mushy at higher volumes. Still, I even used it without reinforcement or an extension cab on a few outdoor gigs during Covid, and it acquitted itself very well with my Raines/Forshage Tele7 with Lace Alumibuckers. I only sold it because I finally got the SBUS a year after ordering it and my Blu 6 about 9 months after first inquiring about getting one. I just didn't need so many amps.

I also bought a DVM Raw Dawg 250 head with a "tube front end" when they went on holiday sale 2 years ago this December. It's a serious amp that will do anything through my RE 10 that my Twin would have done on a gig. It's not quite up to the original Boogie Mk 1 I had for decades, but it's mighty close unmic'ed and the equal of the Boogie mic'ed through house sound. I also sold my EVM Thiele Boogie cab, so I couldn't try it through that. But I suspect it'd be powerful enough for any gig.

Meanwhile, I'm thrilled with my SBUS through my Toobs and I love my Blu 6. I've only used the Blu on a few gigs, but it's on my recording desk and gets daily use for practice and recording. The Raw Dawg is for loud blues gigs and whenever I use my Roland guitar synth.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I haven't been able to find out. I also have a MicroBlock that's rated at 45W, but it's not as loud as the "25W" SBUS through the same speakers.

I bought a DVM Little Jazz when they first went on sale at MF about 2 years ago, and it did pretty well with my usual groups. But I love your description, Jack! It was definitely a bit mushy at higher volumes. Still, I even used it without reinforcement or an extension cab on a few outdoor gigs during Covid, and it acquitted itself very well with my Raines/Forshage Tele7 with Lace Alumibuckers. I only sold it because I finally got the SBUS a year after ordering it and my Blu 6 about 9 months after first inquiring about getting one. I just didn't need so many amps.

I also bought a DVM Raw Dawg 250 head with a "tube front end" when they went on holiday sale 2 years ago this December. It's a serious amp that will do anything through my RE 10 that my Twin would have done on a gig. It's not quite up to the original Boogie Mk 1 I had for decades, but it's mighty close unmic'ed and the equal of the Boogie mic'ed through house sound. I also sold my EVM Thiele Boogie cab, so I couldn't try it through that. But I suspect it'd be powerful enough for any gig.

Meanwhile, I'm thrilled with my SBUS through my Toobs and I love my Blu 6. I've only used the Blu on a few gigs, but it's on my recording desk and gets daily use for practice and recording. The Raw Dawg is for loud blues gigs and whenever I use my Roland guitar synth.
    I'll have to give the quilter a try again. One thing that caused me to drift away from them is that they are eq'd in a way that sounds like the bright switch is always on. Apparently there is a pretty simple mod that involves a capacitor going between hot and ground that quilter has been telling people about but I don't have a quilter anymore to try it.

I was a big fan of dvmark/markbass but soured on them when i had reliability issues with my 2 markbass heads and after 2 raw dawg 250 amps failed. Fortunately, both failed within the return period so I eventually returned them for a refund. I replaced my markbass amps with aguilar and couldn't be happier. On the bass side of things, the center freq of the markbass amps is way above the range of a typical guitar speaker or bass speaker. It's at 10k. Interesting that when they came out with the marcus miller version, they moved the treble control down to 3.8k. But they since discontinued that and I notice their new line is back to the original 10k treble control...

Not sure about the guitar amps because they don't list the specs but the treble control seemed to work as expected.

However, i've moved on from their stuff at this point. YMMV...

User Info Menu

The Blu 6 is supposed to be in in 3-4 weeks. Peter suggested I go ahead and and wait till then and save the $300. I don't need a 2 channel amp, is there any sound difference really and not sure exactly what 2 channels even means as such. I know much about guitars but little about amps. Does it mean you can plug 2 guitars into one amp?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    The Blu 6 is supposed to be in in 3-4 weeks. Peter suggested I go ahead and and wait till then and save the $300. I don't need a 2 channel amp, is there any sound difference really and not sure exactly what 2 channels even means as such. I know much about guitars but little about amps. Does it mean you can plug 2 guitars into one amp?
    Yes. They are two Identical channels, like two Bud 6s in one. I use the feature mainly for pit work, for example, electric in one channel, nylon though the other. Or my banjo or flattop, etc. With the addition of two of those little wireless sets, I have no cords to contend with when switching insruments, often quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    This is going to depend on the user, but I have actually gotten value out of the Bud Preamp in 2 ways:
    (1) I like the fender tone, and the "bright" switch on the bud helps me get closer to that. I know people have a bias about anything labeled a "bright" switch, like the bright caps on BF fender amps, but this isn't like that. The Henriksen amp without the bright switch is very warm and polytone-like, so I am into the eq rebalancing.
    (2) Bud has preamp gain and master volume. The preamp gain comes before the fx loop and the volume comes after. On the Blu, the preamp gain is fixed. In case you have anything in the fx loop and want to attenuate or boost the signal a bit, the Bud gives you more flexibility.

For the reasons above, I'm actually likely to get a Bud 6. If anyone's interested in my Blu 6, send me a DM. I got it used on the forum at a good rate, and I'm happy to sell it for the same price I paid.

Other than that, they're essentially the same amp. You might not care about the things I shared above.

I'll have to give the quilter a try again. One thing that caused me to drift away from them is that they are eq'd in a way that sounds like the bright switch is always on. Apparently there is a pretty simple mod that involves a capacitor going between hot and ground that quilter has been telling people about but I don't have a quilter anymore to try it.
    There have been different generations of Quilter tone stacks and EQ tuning. I previously had a 101 mini reverb and I definitely agree, I could not get it right. The Superblock US is much more intuitive. I do wish the "mids" parameter were set at a lower Hz. It sounds to me like it's somewhere near 1khz. The other thing that makes a difference is the speaker you plug into. Into a typical american voiced speaker, I think the superblock can sound thin. However, into an open back with a celestion gold 10" it sounds much more full and balanced. I can get it to sound exactly like my 1964 Princeton Reverb but it sounds much tighter at a higher volume.

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    This is going to depend on the user, but I have actually gotten value out of the Bud Preamp in 2 ways:
    (1) I like the fender tone, and the "bright" switch on the bud helps me get closer to that. I know people have a bias about anything labeled a "bright" switch, like the bright caps on BF fender amps, but this isn't like that. The Henriksen amp without the bright switch is very warm and polytone-like, so I am into the eq rebalancing.
    (2) Bud has preamp gain and master volume. The preamp gain comes before the fx loop and the volume comes after. On the Blu, the preamp gain is fixed. In case you have anything in the fx loop and want to attenuate or boost the signal a bit, the Bud gives you more flexibility.

For the reasons above, I'm actually likely to get a Bud 6. If anyone's interested in my Blu 6, send me a DM. I got it used on the forum at a good rate, and I'm happy to sell it for the same price I paid.

Other than that, they're essentially the same amp. You might not care about the things I shared above.

There have been different generations of Quilter tone stacks and EQ tuning. I previously had a 101 mini reverb and I definitely agree, I could not get it right. The Superblock US is much more intuitive. I do with the "mids" parameter were set at a lower Hz. It sounds to me like it's somewhere near 1khz. The other thing that makes a difference is the speaker you plug into. Into a typical american voiced speaker, I think the superblock can sound thin. However, into an open back with a celestion gold 10" it sounds much more full and balanced. I can get it to sound exactly like my 1964 Princeton Reverb but it sounds much tighter at a higher volume.
    I have tried the quilter 202 into celestion BN300, copperback, celestion G12H-75, 90Alnico and dvmark pearl. I felt like it had the bright switch thing going on through every cab/speaker option. I noticed after a while that the tone control on all my guitars was down below 1/2 which kind of annoyed me. However, when I listen back to recordings I did with it, I really like the sound I was getting back then. It might be time for a 2nd try. OTOH, my current guitar cabs are mojotone with dvmark pearl speakers and while the pearl is the only neo speaker that I like for guitar, they are bright. They give me a bensony type of sound which is probably a bad combination for an amp with a bright switch always on...Still, it's a great sounding amp and perhaps the only SS amp on the market that really has a tube amp vibe to it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzgtrl4
    i have a Bud 6, 10 and FOrte...great amps...i usually grab the bud 6 for grab and go but lately been bringing the 10 to change things up...man i forgot how nice this thing sounds.
    Understanding the size differences in the speakers, how does the Bud 6 compare to the Forte?