The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 121

User Info Menu

I think the variance in our EQ preferences exemplifies the versatility of the Henriksen tone stack!

When I first played these amps, I was not crazy about how flat and dark they sound relative to my tube amps (I'm not just talking about BF fenders, I mean tweed fenders and vintage Gibsons as well). It was only after spending some time to dial it in (plugging into the Henriksen and the Fender back to back while dialing in) that I was fully converted.

The above is not a criticism of Henriksen. EQ is a matter preference: The Henriksen EQ, when set to noon on all EQ bands, is actually flat, whereas the Fender EQ is scooped with extra treble and presence. This doesn't mean you can't approximate the Fender EQ with a Henriksen, it just means it requires some exploration. It would be pretty cool if Henriksen had a toggle (similar to Quilter) to switch between default tone stacks (Flat, Fender BF, Fender Tweed).

Here's an example of a Fender Twin Frequency response graph for reference:

This quilter video also shows how the tone stacks of Tweed and Blondes work.

What's interesting is that the Tweed tonestack (minus speaker response) is relatively flat like a Henriksen. HOWEVER, the frequency response of 50s Jensen Alnico speakers provides the presence boost and mid scoop that defines the "american" sound. The Eminence Beta speaker in the Henriksen does not have any of that mid scoop/presence boost, so getting the Henriksen to sound like a tweed requires that EQ tuning.

For further reference, here's the frequency response of the Eminence Beta. There is a very slight scoop in the mids and a treble boost (as you see in ALL guitar speakers). However, the presence (5khz+) rolls off really quickly.

By comparison, the Eminence 1028k (Similar to what would be original to a Fender Harvard). The midrange is significantly more scooped and the frequency response on the high end rolls off much more gradually (plenty of action above 5khz).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    You mean the DO? It has an XLR line out on it. I have not used that yet.
    Sorry, you're right, I meant the XLR out.

I used the XLR out on my AI amp for FOH and monitored from my amp. I thought it had a good tone I am wondering if either of these will be even better (and lighter).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    It’s just a velcro pouch with a carbon zinc 9v battery.

Amazon.com

Amazon.com
    Are carbon Zinc batteries better than the others? They' pretty inexpensive.

User Info Menu

Carbon zinc batteries have a lower current discharge than alkaline batteries so they last longer and are used to power electronics that don’t require a higher current source and need longevity (like fire alarms).

Overdrive pedals don’t require high current discharge so they work here and last longer.

According to OD pedal connoisseurs like the blues guitarist Josh Smith, they sound better in OD pedals too. That’s subjective but at least the first argument is true.

User Info Menu

Carbon zinc was used in flashlight batteries decades ago, the original dry disposable batteries, invented in the 19th century. Technology has advanced considerably over the past 140+ years. Carbon zinc batteries last about 1/10 as long as alkaline or lithium batteries, but they have a couple of minor advantages. The main one is cost, being much cheaper than any other type, and they have a low self-discharge rate, so they have a longer shelf life than many other types. But they aren't enough cheaper to make them worth even the lower cost. They're what you usually get with devices that have batteries included, because they're cheap. I wouldn't consider buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by sm80808
    Sorry, you're right, I meant the XLR out.

I used the XLR out on my AI amp for FOH and monitored from my amp. I thought it had a good tone I am wondering if either of these will be even better (and lighter).
    i'll do a recording with it soon!

User Info Menu

(Sorry jack, we went way off topic)

Carbon zinc batteries typically have a capacity of 400 mAh compared to 550 for alkaline batteries. If your device has a high current draw, a carbon zinc battery will not last long. However, if the current draw is low (which is the case for OD pedals) it will last a decent amount of time.

This OD pedal has a current draw of 5 mA, which gets 8 hours of battery life from the 400 mAh capacity. And alkaline battery (550 mAh) would get me 11 hours of battery life.

The carbon zinc batteries cost $9 for a pack of ten. That translates to $0.11/hr. An 8 pack of Energizer 9v alkaline batteries is $20, which translates to $.20/hr.

So yeah carbon zinc will last a little less (72% as long as alkaline) but they come out to 45% cheaper per hour of use.

User Info Menu

Used the Bud 6 at a small gig last night at a loud cafe with a DPA 4099 on my Selmer style guitar. Amp did excellent and sounded great. The other guitarist said it sounded "just like your guitar just louder" so that's a good thing. I don't have the wedge yet, so I angled it up using the carrying case of the DPA.

The portability was a plus as well since I had to walk a couple blocks in the snow to my car and back.

Is the reverb on these amplifiers implemented with a Belton brick?

Quote Originally Posted by InsufferableRhythm
    probably. There aren't a huge number of options for integrated reverb without huge licensing fees. I know they used belton in the past.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by InsufferableRhythm
    A few years back, it used to be an Accutronics BTDR-2-S. Not sure if they changed.

Nice to see you back!

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    A few years back, it used to be an Accutronics BTDR-2-S. Not sure if they changed.

Nice to see you back!

that's made by belton

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    that's made by belton
    I know, just saying which chip excatly.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984

Nice to see you back!

Nice to see that you're around as well! Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    The 6 really shines when you have it on a small stool off the floor.
    Just curious what raising off the floor does? Seems that with a down-firing bass port, that closer to the ground would give optimal low end?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Campbell_jazz
    Just curious what raising off the floor does? Seems that with a down-firing bass port, that closer to the ground would give optimal low end?
    That.
    It simply sounds more "grown up" when sitting on the floor but in most normal playing situations that doesn't really matter much. I have it raised and pointed at my head most of the time since that way I don't have to play any louder in order to hear myself ... and my bandmates are all for it, too

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    That.
    It simply sounds more "grown up" when sitting on the floor but in most normal playing situations that doesn't really matter much. I have it raised and pointed at my head most of the time since that way I don't have to play any louder in order to hear myself ... and my bandmates are all for it, too
    Thanks for the input. By grown up, do you mean a fuller sound?

I like the size and weight, and although the sound is big and warm like a larger amp, it still only pushes air like a small amp. I guess in the context of an ensemble, it wouldn’t really matter.

User Info Menu

Yesterday I spent a great afternoon at TFoA trying out guitars and tried a Bud for the first time. I was a) expecting to love it and b) prepared to buy it. In the end, I did neither. Couldn’t get a likeable sound out of it with any guitar. It was a Bud 6. Just a matter of taste, I guess. It was obviously well-built and highly convenient.

User Info Menu

Over the last few months I have been quietly enjoying a new Bud 6. Some reflections:

1/ Surprisingly heavy for its physical size. Not heavy to carry as such, but you just expect something that small to weigh a great deal less. Not a Con as such. A reflection on the driver and materials used in construction. A 12" Toob Neo with a Bam200 or a Quilter SB will still be overall lighter. They will also sound different as well.

2/ I Umm and Aah'd about this model, the 10" or the Head format. In the end I figured that for the cost of the Head + Equivalent Ext Cab vs Bud 6 it was a rub. The only perceivable difference functionally to me was that the head can take 2 external speakers at once. This was a use case I did not see myself using. I have used it with the external cab to get a larger 12" sound. You can mute the internal speaker by plugging a 1/4 plug into the Headphone out and run just the external speaker. Or have them all on. I kinda wished though the ext speaker had a volume control independent of the inbuilt speakers. In either case I needed to carry a speaker anyway to use it for my needs so.. I bought a combined unit. If I want bigger sound I'll then worry about finding a bigger speaker.

3/ The Head format took up the same floor space. And it is really big for a 2 Channel Class D amp by today's standards. I suspect that because there is no usage of the front or sides of the head, all IO needs real estate on the back face. This adds a lot to the height. Then the power supply has to live someplace. That said I think Peter H has done a good job with what he has without redesigning the whole internals and driving cost through the roof. I keep reminding myself that it is a very small outfit and what they (He) makes with the scale of his enterprise is particularly impressive.

4/ I did not think I would use the Bluetooth as much as I do. While overkill as purely a practice amp- it excels at this task too. Metronome, Backing tracks, etc I have no probs with it. Some have reported buzzing with bluetooth. I have not. I like how you can run the Bluetooth volume independently to the CH2 volume (I know you can do this via the device too- you get a 16 step volume control on an iPhone ) You will get independent tone control as well.

5/ Some have reported they wished the power switch was more accessible. I kinda get that (and not). I got used to finding it pretty quickly, but I did experience Pops and cracking when switching it on and off. I learnt pretty quick to back off the input gain power off or power on. Kinda wish there was a mini toggle like Quilter used for "Standby" which essentially acts as a power amp Mute.

6/ Have not figured out a way to bypass preamp and go straight into Output stage through the effects loop. I probably can but just haven't fiddled around enough. Sometimes for kicks I take the XLR DI out from a Quilter Superblock and plug into CH2 XLR in, set flat. I use a boss LS2 to then drive both channels Individually or simultaneously. You can find many options with this Amp.

7/ Surprisingly full at volume for its size. I have not tested its limits outside yet, but in a rehearsal space on the carpeted tiled floor, it was not lacking.

8/ It is expensive. It is not mainstream, and not made in huge volume. The hardware is high quality, access to one is limited (where I live) and for a small shop with all the freight & overheads it will probably remain so. I don't regret the price or feel short changed. Yes I could have bought several Boss Katanas with dozens of features and effects for the price of 1 Bud 6. However I like the notion of buying something that excels in the singular one thing it was designed to do rather than buy something that aims to sort of please everyone and be sort of OK. The thought that I was supporting a cottage industry supporting the Jazz Guitar community gave me a fuzzy warm feeling. I can buy many different Guitar amps for rock if i wanted to. I did justify a lot of the expense by selling off a few superfluous things on Gumtree though.

9/ If you want high gain and gritty speaker break up, its not the amp for you. Horses for courses. You can have a bit of fun sending a driven signal through a channel, but be aware the speaker is not tonally voiced like a typical guitar speaker (Jensen, Celestion). Manage your expectations. That said, you do get a 5 band EQ & Bright switch to play around with on the way to the power stage. An El Pescadoro sounds great!

10/ reverb- I don't mind it. I only use it at Max25% though. I think it is a plate reverb. I didn't buy the amp for the reverb and TBH I am glad it is there for the conveniance of some room ambience. If needed.

11/ No power LED on the top. You know it is on by the illuminated logo.

All in all so far a great amp. Great work PeterH and Co!
    If it blew up, got destroyed/stolen/fried and I would still pick this model again. I have yet to hit its limitations. Give me a few years my opinion my change but for now, I'm good!

Cheers all

EMike.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    Yesterday I spent a great afternoon at TFoA trying out guitars and tried a Bud for the first time. I was a) expecting to love it and b) prepared to buy it. In the end, I did neither. Couldn’t get a likeable sound out of it with any guitar. It was a Bud 6. Just a matter of taste, I guess. It was obviously well-built and highly convenient.
    Was it on a carpet, or a hard surface?

User Info Menu

Tried it on the floor (carpeted), off the floor, etc. Tried with solidbodies, semis, archtops. I felt like all I got back from the amp was a sterile laser beam of sound. That was a real head scratcher because clearly others get great results with them.

User Info Menu

I made a couple of hard bases in case I am in a carpeted situation. The bigger one I made to fit in my big gear bag, the smaller one fits right into the Bud's case with the amp.

Henriksen Bud 6 mini review-bud-bases-jpg

User Info Menu

And this brings up an interesting option. Has anyone tried setting the amp on its side so the port is pointing out to the side? I think I'll try that this week when I have the time.

User Info Menu

The bud and blue amps are great for their size and they work with a lot of Instruments.
    Still, I much prefer my Princeton and my Quilter soundwise. But the Henriksen are more convenient.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    Tried it on the floor (carpeted), off the floor, etc. Tried with solidbodies, semis, archtops. I felt like all I got back from the amp was a sterile laser beam of sound. That was a real head scratcher because clearly others get great results with them.
    Tweeter on and off make any difference?