The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A little while back someone was asking about guitar knobs that had something on them so you could "feel" their position. I can't find the thread now. How about any these? (There are several styles.) Less in-your-face than chicken-heads. Some might be for amp pots, I don't know if they'd fit guitar pots. One of the styles says "jazz bass." (I don't know much about shaft/knob sizes.)

10x Guitar AMP Effect Pedal Knobs Davies 1510 Style Pointer Knob Set Screw Black | eBay

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They seem to be ok, Barney used chicken heads forever, can't blame him.

User Info Menu

You have to match your knobs to the pot shaft. There are three variables: 1) Shaft diameter - either 1/4” or 6mm. 2) Shaft type : smooth (like a Tele; uses a set screw), or splined (Gibson, Stratocaster). 3) If splined, there are coarse and fine-splined versions. This is true for all pots you are likely to use. Nothing beats chicken heads for tactile feedback. Steven

User Info Menu

You can generally use knobs with set screws on splined shafts. You do need to orient the knob so that the screw hits the shaft at the split, assuming a split shaft. If you tighten the screw so that it hits the shaft so that tightening it closes the split, it will loosen over time as the splits bend together. Putting the screw so that it tightens against the slot, touching both sides of the split, is better. That may require reorienting the entire pot, depending on where you want the knob to point. It's not difficult, but something to consider. All the chicken head knobs I've seen use set screws, but there may be some out there designed for splined shafts. I prefer set screws for all knobs, because they're more versatile, and will fit almost any shaft.

User Info Menu

Splined chicken heads:

Just a moment...

Using set screw knobs on splined shafts works, but eventually they will work loose. So it’s another thing to periodically check. Set screw knobs are more forgiving than push ons, and I also prefer them when possible. If necessary, I’ll flatten the shaft a bit with a file for the set screw. This was required, for example, for a DeLisle Pentatone, which is a Varitone substitute.

There are also sleeves to put on 6mm shafts for 1/4” knobs (smooth shaft, of course). I’ve used these but am not convinced of their usefulness.