The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 111 of 111

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Haha, who said she was even comely?
    Comely can refer to a person's personality. Friendly, sincere, polite, etc. Not just appearance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    2001 Gibson - Custom Shop Wes Montgomery - Ice Tea Burst 2001 Gibson - Custom Shop Wes Montgomery - Ice Tea Burst | Reverb
    Now listed at Wolfe's. Funny coincidence: I was watching this $2,899 listing (Heritage Sweet 16 - Natural - 1991 | Reverb) a month or two ago while shopping for a Heritage. Looks like Wolfe's snagged that one as well—now listed at a cool $4,500.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Now listed at Wolfe's. Funny coincidence: I was watching this $2,899 listing (Heritage Sweet 16 - Natural - 1991 | Reverb) a month or two ago while shopping for a Heritage. Looks like Wolfe's snagged that one as well—now listed at a cool $4,500.
    And there you have it. Bet it sells too...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Comely can refer to a person's personality. Friendly, sincere, polite, etc. Not just appearance.
    ......included in those descriptions of blind dates - " and she's a wonderful dancer. "....

: )

User Info Menu

Looks like Jay Wolfe has it now. It sold through the other listing, so Wolfe Guitars bought it???? I’m not sure I feel comfortable with the way it’s described, “looks factory or better” and “mint”, but there it is.

2001 Gibson - Custom Shop Wes Montgomery - Ice Tea Burst | Reverb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Looks like Jay Wolfe has it now. It sold through the other listing, so Wolfe Guitars bought it???? I’m not sure I feel comfortable with the way it’s described, “looks factory or better” and “mint”, but there it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    lol he’s asking for $1500 for replacing the strings?

User Info Menu

Slightly on topic..

28 seconds of footage of Barry Harris, Butch Warren and BILLY BEAN at the start of this unreleased and incomplete documentary from the 1960s.
    Bean is playing an L7 with a CC pickup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    lol he’s asking for $1500 for replacing the strings?
    Shortly after Heather Red listed that guitar on reverb, I contacted her about the mods and and how they might affect FMV. I recommended she not take my word and take it to Jay. I'm about 45 miles south of Red and 45 miles north of Jay.

I know she told someone else on this thread she got 6K, but I'm extremely skeptical. I've known Jay and bought and sold with him for over 20 years. I like him. But no way he's paying 6K to only mark it up to $7,585. I recently sold him a Heritage GE and he marked it up 55%. That's his MO. I'm betting he paid $4,500 - $5,000.

It should be noted that the idea that the guitar is only worth around $2,500 due to the mods has now been proven false. Jay might not be a great player, but he knows FMV when it comes to archtops as well as anyone in the business. He wouldn't have bought it if he wasn't certain he could get at least 6K or so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan

"Used-Mint. At some point the original owner had a Charlie Christian pickup professionally installed, and it sounds wonderful. The installation is well done and it looks factory, or perhaps even nicer."

User Info Menu

"Used-Mint. At some point the original owner had a Charlie Christian pickup professionally installed, and it sounds wonderful. The installation is well done and it looks factory, or perhaps even nicer."
    that's a lie, isn't it? according to miss red the previous owner did the install himself, right?

User Info Menu

And to refresh the memory for your earlier post, here’s what the first seller told you:

"Hey! Thank you for your interest
    I am selling this guitar for a client . It belonged to his dad who has passed away. He was an engineer who played jazz for his hobby. The best we could ascertain is that the CC was made by Gibson as he had a few others of the same type and that he did the mod himself.”

I don’t know Jay Wolfe and have never knowingly seen a guitar he sold or spoken to anyone who knows or has dealt with him. He seems to have a good reputation and I have not heard anything to the contrary. But somebody in this game of Whispering Down the Lane has (intentionally or not) grossly distorted some facts.

We all know people who fall prey to intense and irrational desire and overpay for things they’ve decided they want without knowing enough about them. Most bad decisions arise out of inexperience, overconfidence, and/or the unfounded belief that they’re getting the bargain of the century. The bargain belief is usually rooted in the unwillingness or inability to spend enough to get a good example of the object of desire, and is compounded by the delusion that reselling it would be easy and yield a profit because “it’s worth more than I paid”.

Used car dealers say that there’s an @ss for every seat. That basic truth combines with the “greater fool theory” to guarantee the eventual resale of almost everything at a profit if the reseller has the time, resources, and marketing savvy to find the greater fool and entice him or her to sit in the seat. If this poor old guitar truly does play well and sound great, it’s worth whatever an adoring suitor will pay for it with all its flaws.

It was no bargain at the estate sale price, and it’s even less so now. Most of us would spend what it takes to buy an intact WesMo instead, if that’s what we wanted. But the current seller knows that there’s someone looking for this one, and there’s a good chance that he or she will find and buy it. I could be wrong, but I do not believe that any knowledgeable and experienced dealer could look at that guitar and believe the pickup was factory installed, or even that a decent luthier installed it. And the line in the current post about trying to get the Custom Shop COA is both inappropriate and misleading. The estate rep and the current seller are less than 100 miles apart. If the engineer’s son has it, it should be with the guitar by now. If he doesn’t and the seller is unwilling to say so (which would not be a sign of high integrity), suggesting that it exists but is unobtainable is disingenuous at best.

I hope the next buyer loves it and is happy with it.