The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

Arggg...

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time finding a set of TI 12 rounds with a wound third string. Everything I'm pulling up has a plain steel third.

Little help?

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

They don't make them.

FYI Thomastik Swing and Bebop gauges can be misleading. I.e. Their "12s" are what would typically be in a set of "11s" but the e and B strings are 12 and 16. Similarly, their "13s" use 4/6 strings from what you would associate with "12s" but the treble gauges are replaced with 13 and 17.

Therefore, if you want a set of TI Bebop 12s with wound 3rd, do the following:

By a set of Newtone Archtop 11s. Specifically: .011 .015 .022w .030 .040 .050

Then buy plain .012 and .016 steel strings to replace the trebles from the Newtone Archtops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    They don't make them.

FYI Thomastik Swing and Bebop gauges can be misleading. I.e. Their "12s" are what would typically be in a set of "11s" but the e and B strings are 12 and 16. Similarly, their "13s" use 4/6 strings from what you would associate with "12s" but the treble gauges are replaced with 13 and 17.

Then buy plain .012 and .016 steel strings to replace the trebles from the Newtone Archtops.
    Wow. Ok, thanks.

User Info Menu

They don't make them.

Let me ask you this:
    Currently, there's a set of new TI 13 rounds on my guitar. I happen to have a set of TI 12's. Can I use the 1/2 strings from 12 set and replace the 1/2 strings on 13 set?

User Info Menu

Yeah that should work.

Personally I dislike TI Bebops because their gauges make no sense. Strings A-G feel way too thin relative to the rest of the set. But what you proposed above makes sense.

User Info Menu

Yeah that should work.

Personally I dislike TI Bebops because their gauges make no sense. Strings A-G feel way too thin relative to the rest of the set. But what you proposed above makes sense.
    What's your preferred string?
    I'm open for suggestions.

What's your opinion on these?

TI 12's Rounds w/Wound Third-6b71ba51-f11f-476a-aafb-22949416e40c-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images TI 12's Rounds w/Wound Third-9b9a6aed-6ae9-411f-8564-36744c7e6585-jpg 

User Info Menu

The TI George Benson wound 12s have a wound G. And I like the feel of the set better. Unless it's just my imagination. (Runnin' away with me...)

Thomastik-Infeld Electric Guitar Flat Wound Medium Light George Benson Jazz Series, .012 - .053, GB112

User Info Menu

D'Addario Pure Nickels are pretty good. I haven't played them in a long time. Pure nickel strings require raising the poles on the pickup to compensate for the reduced ferromagnetic properties of nickel relative to steel.

I have different strings that I like on different guitars. On my 1953 ES 175 (single p90), which is probably closest to yours I would recommend you check out the following:

(1) Newtone Archtop is my first choice for this kind of guitar. They are similar to Thomastik Bebops but the string gauges make more sense. These are made of nickel-plated steel but they have a very warm sound and relative soft feel due to the round core and double-wrap winding. I love them on an acoustic-electric archtop.

(2) John Pearse Jazz Nickel. I believe these are pure nickel with a hex core. They are also very warm. These are more commonly recommended than the Newtones. Before I discovered the Newtones, I used these exclusively. I still think they're great but round core strings just feel more suited to amplified jazz tone to me.

(3) Newtone Electrics with Nickel Plated Steel on Round Core. I like these on solid bodies and some archtops. My 2014 L5 CESN has them and I really like them with the humbuckers due to their clarity. These are brighter sounding strings than the others listed above. They feel great thanks to the round core.

People also really like Pyramids. I only ever tried one set and my conclusion was that they were good but no better than the John Pearse strings I listed above, and twice as expensive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    The TI George Benson wound 12s have a wound G. And I like the feel of the set better. Unless it's just my imagination. (Runnin' away with me...)

Thomastik-Infeld Electric Guitar Flat Wound Medium Light George Benson Jazz Series, .012 - .053, GB112
    The link you shared is their FLAT wounds, but your point is true: the Benson 12 rounds have a wound G.

Thomastik-Infeld George Benson Jazz Strings | GimmeSomeStrings

$34 for a set of strings...

User Info Menu

You can buy single wound TI G strings and replace the unwound G. That's what I do when I'm using BeBop 12s.

User Info Menu

The link you shared is their FLAT wounds, but your point is true: the Benson 12 rounds have a wound G.

Thanks, I clicked on the rounds link on the internet, then it must have defaulted to the flats page. Sloppy work by me

User Info Menu

Strings sold as "pure nickel" are not actually pure nickel, they're an alloy, containing copper and perhaps other metals. Nickel is ferromagnetic and would be about as loud as steel wound strings if not used as an alloy. D'Addario pure nickel strings are pretty much comparable with monel, although probably not precisely the identical alloy.

User Info Menu

Ridiculous, no set of guitar strings is worth that much imo, but what do I know, they seem to have a strong following somehow.
    I use the DA pure nickels but 13-56
    about 6-7 bucks a set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    You can buy single wound TI G strings and replace the unwound G. That's what I do when I'm using BeBop 12s.
    I do the same. I use 12s TI strings (Bebop) with a 21 wound G from TI on my electric archtops. I love the touch of the strings, also that they last longer than other brands.
    That is my argument for accepting the higher price of one set 12s and the extra wound G string.
    Disadvantage is that you will get a collection of unused plain G strings over the years...

User Info Menu

I take it you've never bought a set of 4 violin, or worse, cello strings...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I take it you've never bought a set of 4 violin, or worse, cello strings...
    I know a guy who had a burr on the tuning post of his upright bass, broke two strings before figuring out the issue. He's applying for a home equity loan.

User Info Menu

Of the 4 main bowed instruments, the cello is probably closest in size to the guitar.

Larsen Original Cello String Set

User Info Menu

Thomastik Swing and Bebop gauges can be misleading. I.e. Their "12s" are what would typically be in a set of "11s" but the e and B strings are 12 and 16.
    Which is why I like them. Fat top, skinny bottom. Easy for endlessly comping chords, yet toneful and warm when soloing. Makes perfect sense to me. I’ve also grown to like the plain G. It totally bridges the tonal gap between the plain and wound strings. But not every guitar’s bridge will accommodate a plain G without intonation issues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    Which is why I like them. Fat top, skinny bottom. Easy for endlessly comping chords, yet toneful and warm when soloing. Makes perfect sense to me. I’ve also grown to like the plain G. It totally bridges the tonal gap between the plain and wound strings. But not every guitar’s bridge will accommodate a plain G without intonation issues.
    My Sadowsky archtops come with two different bridges to compensate for that. Smart man that Roger is.

User Info Menu

The TI strings I've used are balanced tension. The D and G strings are lighter than most other brands, to give close to the same tension as the other strings. In most sets, the D and G have much higher tension than the others, for reasons I don't understand. The balanced tension is just about the only thing I like about TI strings, although I admit I haven't tried all the varieties.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    I like heavy trebles on my sets too. I always buy a set of 12s and increase the gauge of the trebles. My issue with TI strings is that they get most of the wound string gauges wrong and they feel really weird. The A-G strings are always way too thin for any given set. Even their 13 sets feel too thin in the middle, with a .021 wound G? This should be 0.024 at a minimum.

User Info Menu

I like heavy trebles on my sets too. I always buy a set of 12s and increase the gauge of the trebles. My issue with TI strings is that they get most of the wound string gauges wrong and they feel really weird. The A-G strings are always way too thin for any given set. Even their 13 sets feel too thin in the middle, with a .021 wound G? This should be 0.024 at a minimum.
    That is my issue completely with TI strings although the price is high. A set with a 12 or 13 on top needs to have a .24 .32 and .42 G,D , and A string. TI has no clue about that other than the tension they claim is even. Not to my hand. I have always used a .24 for a G. Some sets come with a .22 G which I can use in a pinch but prefer the .24. As far as the 6th string is concerned my acoustic archtops are all built as acoustic and sound very good, they do not need the bigger .54 and up E bass string. Pure nickle work pretty nice from Daddario.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    Arggg...

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time finding a set of TI 12 rounds with a wound third string.
    They don't make them.
    The Spectrum sets are round-wounds and have a wound 3rd. They also sound really nice on an archtop.

User Info Menu

True, but they’re acoustic bronze strings and may not work with a pickup.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    That is my issue completely with TI strings although the price is high. A set with a 12 or 13 on top needs to have a .24 .32 and .42 G,D , and A string. TI has no clue about that other than the tension they claim is even. Not to my hand. I have always used a .24 for a G. Some sets come with a .22 G which I can use in a pinch but prefer the .24. As far as the 6th string is concerned my acoustic archtops are all built as acoustic and sound very good, they do not need the bigger .54 and up E bass string. Pure nickle work pretty nice from Daddario.
    We have similar preferences. My ideal set is: 13 17 24w 32 42 52. Sometimes I prefer a thicker 25w just to get more magnetic signal. On an acoustic I like the same but definitely 25w for G and I like 53 for low E.