The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 64 of 64

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    They seem to be shipping from Japan. Mostly, one from the us…

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    They seem to be shipping from Japan. Mostly, one from the us…
    Thank you Christian, I think I found one. In fact I might be getting two. The way the industry and manufacturing is going is going down the
    toilet better to have a spare while one can.

User Info Menu

i think it sounds great. I don't hear that as thin and plinky. I hear it as a modern extension of george benson's playing. Dan has almost always used a semihollow. He was playing a howard roberts fusion for years. I sold him a tom painter guitar but it fed back too much for him...I don't know for sure but I thought he used thomastiks...
    My comment shouldn’t have come across as all that critical. I really like Dan’s playing. Splitting hairs, really. To me, I still hear more roundness or fatness in Benson’s tone, along with the precision… maybe even more so in Jesse Van Ruller’s tone… I really try to emulate his evenness and precision. It’s all minor variations in preference, all great players. Sometimes people sound to me like they are just pushing too hard, but that might be exactly what they want, certainly doesn’t take away from their talent.

I hear that same evenness in your tone, for instance. Though you play really fast and precise, Jack, I don’t hear the notes choking, they still have a nice bloom.

Everything has its place, but if we are talking about druthers, for me it’s GB, Van Ruller, Kreisberg, Rodney, Cecil Alexander, guys like that. I sometimes wonder if they have the tone I like because they are capable of even MORE speed while maintaining accuracy, so that when they throttle back, they get an even nicer note bloom at higher speed than most.

User Info Menu

Kept looking for these YT of Cliff Lisette. wonderful player in the Benson style , on this I think he uses a samick Greg Bennett .....

S

Progress Update:

Managed to snag a new GB10SE for £1,097 that should be in my hands in about 5 days..

GB10SE | GB | HOLLOW BODIES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

That should keep me quiet until hopefully the Japan version arrives on Dec 28th.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Just got used GB15. Another gem in my collection after GB30. They are extremely good value for money imho. Not necessarily need for chasing Benson's tone but they are simply great guitars.
    Possible alternative to nigh on impossible to get Japanese Ibanez GB10-img_8343-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxx
    Progress Update:

Managed to snag a new GB10SE for £1,097 that should be in my hands in about 5 days..

GB10SE | GB | HOLLOW BODIES | PRODUCTS | Ibanez guitars

That should keep me quiet until hopefully the Japan version arrives on Dec 28th.
    Where did you order that from? It seems like a good price!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat
    Just got used GB15. Another gem in my collection after GB30. They are extremely good value for money imho. Not necessarily need for chasing Benson's tone but they are simply great guitars.
    Possible alternative to nigh on impossible to get Japanese Ibanez GB10-img_8343-jpeg
    I love my GB10, but have always lusted after one of those beautiful GB15’s. Someone had one on Reverb a few months ago and had replaced all the hardware with OEM gold pickups and tailpiece. It was stunning! Definitely not a necessity, but I never use the bridge pickup. I know they don’t make the 15 anymore, but I may still go shopping one day…

Gorgeous guitar!..I don't really call it a Benson tone, I call it a beautiful jazz guitar tone.. and that I chase.

User Info Menu

Max as it happens I have a virtually mint GB-100 I'm going to put up for sale.
    Same guitar as the GB10 but a little deeper and with nicer appointments (personal taste depending) + a lot rarer.
    Comes with case + candy.
    The neck is insanely nice. I bought it with many other guitars for R&D purposes and it's now time to pass it on.
    Last edited by Archie; 11-21-2022 at 12:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    My comment shouldn’t have come across as all that critical. I really like Dan’s playing. Splitting hairs, really. To me, I still hear more roundness or fatness in Benson’s tone, along with the precision… maybe even more so in Jesse Van Ruller’s tone… I really try to emulate his evenness and precision. It’s all minor variations in preference, all great players. Sometimes people sound to me like they are just pushing too hard, but that might be exactly what they want, certainly doesn’t take away from their talent.

I hear that same evenness in your tone, for instance. Though you play really fast and precise, Jack, I don’t hear the notes choking, they still have a nice bloom.

Everything has its place, but if we are talking about druthers, for me it’s GB, Van Ruller, Kreisberg, Rodney, Cecil Alexander, guys like that. I sometimes wonder if they have the tone I like because they are capable of even MORE speed while maintaining accuracy, so that when they throttle back, they get an even nicer note bloom at higher speed than most.
    Thanks, i think in terms of chops and accuracy though dan is up there with GB. I think Cecil, Kreisberg, Van Rullerwould and Rodney would tell you that! I've played with dan a bunch and even at the age of 19, you *DID NOT* want to follow his solo.

User Info Menu

Thanks, i think in terms of chops and accuracy though dan is up there with GB. I think Cecil, Kreisberg, Van Rullerwould and Rodney would tell you that! I've played with dan a bunch and even at the age of 19, you *DID NOT* want to follow his solo.
    Scary, indeed! Capable of some great lines, for sure and certainly one of the top 15 or 20 players today. Must have still been fun to jam with!

How is the string tension if you don't mind me asking? What gauge you using?