The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 111

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    That's the conclusion I came to. 15" 7, somebody's got to make it for you. The Guitars 'n Jazzers are a bit shallower but still a bit to get your arm around if that's an issue, and they tended to come with a wider than standard string spacing.
    In these days of "If we don't sell a thousand, it's not worth it", the small custom shops are going to be the only options. C'mon Ibanez, listen to the buzz. Can you imagine a 7 string George Benson?
    At 6’2” with a 36” sleeve, reach is not a problem for me. And my hands are long and slim, so I’m fine with nuts well over 2”. My issue with body size is largely how small and crowded stages and performance areas are.

The club in which I play twice a week has a decent sized stage made tiny by the Nord Stage piano, the Hammond and Leslie, the floor-to-ceiling bass rig and equally giant FOH sound reinforcement, 5 amps in the backline, multiple boom stands over the drums, and a frame-mounted drum kit that makes Garibaldi’s look like Mattel’s “My First Drum Set”. I sit on a stool wedged between the keys, the Leslie, and the drum frame and just turning 30 degrees while seated takes great care - I’ve whacked the headstocks of two solid bodies on the mic and drum hardware. It’s all I can do to keep my archtops from being bitten by all that superfluous junk. So a smaller one would be a godsend.

A Benson 7 would be fantastic! My default gigging archtop is the AF207 I bought new and have loved since I first opened the case.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by tbeltrans
    Eastman has one:

FV880CE - Eastman Guitars

Eastman FV880CE-SB AAA Spruce/Flamed Maple Frank Vignola | Reverb

Eastman FV880CE-SB Frank Vignola Signature Archtop - DjangoBooks.com

This is a licensed build, copy of Frank Vignola's custom build from Ryan Thorell. The nut width is 1 3/4", so a bit wider than a typical archtop. Nice acoustic tone and also very nice plugged in. Eastman seems to be building consistently decent quality guitars these days.

Tony
    Forgot about that model. Definitely like the look of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Me too! It's a fantastic guitar. Other than the AJL I'd love to have, the FV is far more reasonably priced, and a killer instrument.

User Info Menu

I have one and it is quite nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't get played much at all. What happened is that I bought it brand new, fresh out of the box, from the local shop Fret Central, and then maybe a month later, I got my 1995 Gibson Citation, again in another local shop where it was on local consignment. I plan to hang on to the Eastman because it has a smaller body, a bit shorter scale, and a bit wider nut that might be slightly more comfortable for that Martin Taylor fingerstyle stuff. The guitar that currently carries his name that he sells has a 1 3/4" nut and he is often seen in videos playing that just fine. Better to keep what I have than to later regret selling the FV-880 and have to buy another.

Tony

I have one and it is quite nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't get played much at all. What happened is that I bought it brand new, fresh out of the box, from the local shop Fret Central, and then maybe a month later, I got my 1995 Gibson Citation, again in another local shop where it was on local consignment. I plan to hang on to the Eastman because it has a smaller body, a bit shorter scale, and a bit wider nut that might be slightly more comfortable for that Martin Taylor fingerstyle stuff. The guitar that currently carries his name that he sells has a 1 3/4" nut and he is often seen in videos playing that just fine. Better to keep what I have than to later regret selling the FV-880 and have to buy another.

Tony
    Congrats on the Citation. Bet it’s a gem. I’m a strictly fingerstyle player so the FV with the wider nut appeals to me quite a bit.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Citation. Bet it’s a gem. I’m a strictly fingerstyle player so the FV with the wider nut appeals to me quite a bit.
    Thanks and yes, the Citation is a real gem. The nut on the Citation is right between 1 11/16" and 1 3/4", at 1 23/32". I measured the string spacing at the nut on both the Citation and the FV-880ce, and the FV's spacing was only .004" wider, hardly noticeable. I never use a pick, but plan on getting used to it at some point. I have always played everything fingerstyle and it was a pleasant surprise that the Citation works for me as well as the Eastman. I am not suggesting buying a Citation, but instead that a nut width just slightly below 1 3/4" might also work fine, which could give you more choices.

Tony

User Info Menu

Several of the custom order luthiers such as Victor Baker, Steve Holst, etc will make you a 15" lower bout guitar.

User Info Menu

Re: Ibanez GB10 7 string. One exists, the neck having been replaced by a luthier- either Barker or Hollenbeck. Used to be some info and photos on the interwebs, but not finding it tonight. Lotsa neck on a little guitar!

EDIT- Ah, couple of photos here. Scroll down a bit.

Barker guitars Toledo Ohio – Jedistar

More photos, and it's for sale (AU$30k)...

Custom Barker/Ibanez 7-string GB-10 1978 Sunburst | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Re: Ibanez GB10 7 string. One exists, the neck having been replaced by a luthier- either Barker or Hollenbeck. Used to be some info and photos on the interwebs, but not finding it tonight. Lotsa neck on a little guitar!

EDIT- Ah, couple of photos here. Scroll down a bit.

Barker guitars Toledo Ohio – Jedistar

More photos, and it's for sale (AU$30k)...

Custom Barker/Ibanez 7-string GB-10 1978 Sunburst | Reverb
    I remember when I came across these. Both had serious causes for concern, but I don't remember why exactly. Love the polyrhthmic theme applied to the pickups 7 over 6 motif. Ha ha. Have fun adjusting your pole pieces.

I wish Fujigen had done it themselves at the factory, but maybe the issues of pickups, tailpieces and re-tooling made it unappealing. When I got my 7 string D'Angelico (Vestex/Terada?), they made an ebony 7 string tailpiece to address that issue. There's a lot to be said for details, especially when you're talking the credibility of Frankenstein work. I wasn't convinced by these...but then again, I never witnessed them singing and dancing to Puttin' on the Ritz.

User Info Menu

If I may hijack this thread: any ideas how Wu/Yungzhi would fare with a request for a nylon stringer (15" or 16")?

User Info Menu

I guess finding a nice 15" 7-string is difficult, unless you're willing to pay for a custom build.

User Info Menu

Maybe Holst would do one? His guitars are incredible.

holst guitars - Google Search

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    If I may hijack this thread: any ideas how Wu/Yungzhi would fare with a request for a nylon stringer (15" or 16")?
    They'll do flat tops, and nylon. They have the chops, and the forms.
    Be mindful to know what bracing to specify because nylon guitars have MANY options to choose from. I will wager, however, that lattice or honeycomb probably won't go over well at the shop end of things.

User Info Menu

Eastman has one:

FV880CE - Eastman Guitars

Eastman FV880CE-SB AAA Spruce/Flamed Maple Frank Vignola | Reverb

Eastman FV880CE-SB Frank Vignola Signature Archtop - DjangoBooks.com

This is a licensed build, copy of Frank Vignola's custom build from Ryan Thorell. The nut width is 1 3/4", so a bit wider than a typical archtop. Nice acoustic tone and also very nice plugged in. Eastman seems to be building consistently decent quality guitars these days.

Tony
    Risking asking something stupid... Is not it a flattop?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Risking asking something stupid... Is not it a flattop?
    Not a stupid question and no, it isn't a flat top. It is an archtop.

Tony

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    They'll do flat tops, and nylon. They have the chops, and the forms.
    OOops, I meant a nylon-strung archtop!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I guess finding a nice 15" 7-string is difficult, unless you're willing to pay for a custom build.
    Ain't that the truth ?!?!

I just inquired about another fine 20 year old 7 string (a fairly thin 16") that recently came up on a very well known dealer's site. This is the 3rd "hot prospect" I've found in the last 6 months and the 5th or 6th in the last year. All are described by the sellers as "like new", "almost unplayed", etc. None of the ads has contained any factual information about the actual condition of the instrument re: fret wear, obvious modifications like lowered bridges, planed fingerboards etc. All of the pictures are indistinct enough to make even seeing the frets impossible.

I sent this message:
    "I need another 16" 7 string archtop for regular gigging. Cosmetics are secondary. I care most about condition, stability, and work likely to be needed now or in the near future. I've driven many miles with the intent to buy a few instruments that were 'over-represented' by people I know as being in great shape when they needed frets, neck / fingerboard work, and/or other repairs. I'm happy to buy an instrument that's sound but needs routine work like frets, as long as it's clearly described and appropriately priced.

As stated on your website, I know that it's 'gleaming' and 'a marvel of performance and comfort'. But your website is devoid of any information on the actual condition of this instrument. Any history you can provide regarding prior ownership, use, care, maintenance, repairs etc would also be great along with pics that clearly show the vulnerable areas (especially the headstock, frets, heel, neck joint, and area around the endpin). Thanks and best regards."

And I received this in reply: "Thanks for your note, and I regret if our description was insufficiently specific. This guitar is in superb 100% original condition, with a fresh setup and no issues, period." My request for pictures was ignored. It went on to suggest that I should check back quickly because it would likely be sold soon.

None of the sellers provided any pictures beyond the gloriously glossy ones in the sale posts. None provided any history at all and none provided any information on apparent flaws or potential problems. When I drove over 2 hours each way with money in hand and the intent to bring one home, I found it to have severe divots in the frets, action that was too high despite a fully lowered bridge and a grossly straight neck (I didn't bring a straightedge to check, as I knew and trusted the seller), and a few other clearly evident issues that were of less importance to me as a player but were both obvious and factors in establishing a fair price.

So I seem to be left with the practical options of ordering a basic instrument from a luthier I trust or buying a 16x2.5" Eastman 7 from Guitars 'n Jazz. As much as I love Dale Unger's guitars, I really don't want to spend over $5k for a new instrument at this stage of my life. Who knows how long or how much I'll even be able to gig in the not too distant future? I truly regret not buying one of the early American Archtops from Dale back in the '90s - but we grow old too soon and smart too late.

User Info Menu

I too prefer a 15 inch lower bout. This was just added to the Conti line and I'm going to order one in the next week or two, but probably the single pickup version, with the tune-o-matic bridge.

User Info Menu

I believe Benedetto makes Seven String versions of their Bambino as well as their Benny models. Not cheap but maybe in the used market if you’re patient.

User Info Menu

Howard Alden often plays a Bambino Deluxe 7-string.

User Info Menu

Isn’t this thread off subject since a number of posts, deviating on 7 string archtops?
    the initial subject was 15 inches archtops, which got me interested, and we are not there anymore..
    why not create a dedicated subject? Just saying…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB
    I too prefer a 15 inch lower bout. This was just added to the Conti line and I'm going to order one in the next week or two, but probably the single pickup version, with the tune-o-matic bridge.

Dang you!

I just spent 45 minutes looking those over. I want one! Probably the sunburst, or blonde, single p/u, ebony bridge and tailpiece. On my wish list.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jx30510
    Isn’t this thread off subject since a number of posts, deviating on 7 string archtops?
    the initial subject was 15 inches archtops, which got me interested, and we are not there anymore..
    why not create a dedicated subject? Just saying…
    I apologize for having joined the 7 string cadre in this thread, but the issues around the search for a 15 are independent of string count. There have been relatively few 15” hollow archtops on the market over the years, and the problems finding a good one at a fair price are identical beyond the greater difficulty of finding a 7 over a 6.

My encounters with what I’ll politely call over-represented instruments seem to be typical of the general market. There are very few true 15” archtops in current production, and most seem to be high end pieces like the Benedetto Bambino (actually a 14.5” lower bout), a very fine instrument and a great choice for a busy gigging pro. But it’s $5600, which is a lot of money for a “beater”. And if you want a new one, the wait is about a year unless you luck into one somewhere.

Most of the few good small archtops on the used market are played to the point of needing normal but significant maintenance and refurb - but they’re never described as such. The cost of a refret plus general evaluation and correction of any other issues found is now pushing $1k, which makes the already aggressive asking prices truly outrageous. Fine 15s like the Foster Basin Street are wonderful instruments. But when a new laminated archtop can be ordered from a good luthier to spec for under $5k, putting a total of $4k+ into buying and preparing a used one with potentially more issues down the road seems like a bad alternative.

I’m grossly disappointed In the “used car salesmen” permeating the preowned guitar market. My encounters with some of the most revered sellers on the web have been universally unrewarding. I can’t get a clear set of pictures, an unbiased and unembellished description of the instruments, or any history beyond “fresh setup - plays like new”. Instead, I’m told to hurry up and buy because there’s been so much interest in it.

So the quest for a decent small archtop (new or used) is difficult no matter how many strings you want on it. They’re uncommon enough to make it highly unlikely that you’ll ever have played or even heard the specific make & model you want or can find. Because of this, whether you’ll like it is a huge unanswered question. And buying from a distance further complicates the evaluation process. As the old blues tune says, you got to get your hands on it. This can prove even more costly and disappointing with a 15 than with the bigger models we all know well.

User Info Menu

Whether you will like the guitar is always uncertain, handmade or not. And what you like today may be less so tomorrow. I have two handmade 15 inch archtops, both high-end, ordered in Asia. I trusted the two luthiers who made them and was not disappointed. There are many great luthiers in Asia.

User Info Menu

Options for 15” archtop-l-5-sig-collection-1-jpg

What I've been playing for the past 20 years. 15.5" x 2&5/8", 25.5" scale.

Danny W.