The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30
    I'm about to pull the trigger on this guitar, anybody on here ever played one? Would be curious to hear your thoughts!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Got one here earlier this year, tried it in their Tokyo shop and really loved it. Opted for the flame maple with the CC type rail pickup. It came with DA Chrome 12 flats, but really came alive in feel and sound after changing to the TI Swing 12s. It’s now my main straight ahead jazz archtop. Keeper!

User Info Menu

Japanese workmanship means top notch quality

User Info Menu

I haven't played one, but I believe they are the Lexus to Archtop Tribute's Toyota. Same company, higher quality.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seventhchord251
    I'm about to pull the trigger on this guitar, anybody on here ever played one? Would be curious to hear your thoughts!

I have noticed that the Yen/USD exchange rate is favorable for a purchase of a MIJ guitar at this time!
    The current price for an Westville Aruba (directly from Westville) is $2980 USD. This excludes shipping and a case which would add roughly $500 to bring the cost total to approximately $3500 USD! This seems very reasonable for a guitar of this quality!

Last edited by helios; 10-22-2022 at 05:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Hmmmm ... the tone is quite bland to my ear, especially in that clip. Jesse van Ruller's tone is fuller, with more warmth and character (but he plays much more with dynamics, too). I'm sure the build quality is top notch and it could be the right tool in your hands but for myself I'd need to spend some quality time with that guitar before committing .....
    Having owned and played many of this type of archtop (derivatives of the original ES175 design/electrified plywood-topped 16") over the past 40 years I've noticed that one needs to put a little more effort into the picking in order to get the top working and thereby coaxing out the full tonal potential of this particular type guitar. My own Trenier Lam-top is VERY responsive due to the rather thin plywood top, as were the various Borys guitars I sampled over the years. These are all quite expensive but that can def. be heard and felt ....

User Info Menu

It appears Mr. Ruller swapped out the Kent Armstrong pickup ( I see a gold cover, not black)!

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    It appears Mr. Ruller swapped out the Kent Armstrong pickup ( I see a gold cover, not black)!
    Good catch! The same with Daan's guitar. Apparently they both didn't like the Kent Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd
    Got one here earlier this year, tried it in their Tokyo shop and really loved it. Opted for the flame maple with the CC type rail pickup. It came with DA Chrome 12 flats, but really came alive in feel and sound after changing to the TI Swing 12s. It’s now my main straight ahead jazz archtop. Keeper!
    How do you like the CC pickup?

User Info Menu

Good deal, less than a Sadowsky lam.

User Info Menu

I believe that JVR has a Gibson Classic 57 in his; I think it replaced the CC not the Kent Armstrong tho

Quote Originally Posted by EvansDrD
    I believe that JVR has a Gibson Classic 57 in his; I think it replaced the CC not the Kent Armstrong tho
    Sorry for the delay in my response, sometimes I the jazzguitar forum emails go to my spam folder so I don't see when someone has responded to a post. But yes I think you are right. On the website I see Jesse with a CC pickup, same with Daan so maybe the CC pickup is not that good / worth the extra money?

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Hmmmm ... the tone is quite bland to my ear, especially in that clip. Jesse van Ruller's tone is fuller, with more warmth and character (but he plays much more with dynamics, too). I'm sure the build quality is top notch and it could be the right tool in your hands but for myself I'd need to spend some quality time with that guitar before committing .....
    Having owned and played many of this type of archtop (derivatives of the original ES175 design/electrified plywood-topped 16") over the past 40 years I've noticed that one needs to put a little more effort into the picking in order to get the top working and thereby coaxing out the full tonal potential of this particular type guitar. My own Trenier Lam-top is VERY responsive due to the rather thin plywood top, as were the various Borys guitars I sampled over the years. These are all quite expensive but that can def. be heard and felt ....
    Yes I'm a bit reluctant to buy without playing but there are not so many options where I live. Trenier is a different level both in price and quality I'm sure!

Ok pulled the trigger, just order and transferred $$$ hope they'll ship fast (and safe..). Had a bad experience last time around with fed-ex, so we'll see.....

User Info Menu

KAs come in gold, silver and black. At least they used to.

User Info Menu

Very exciting-keep us posted on your experience!

User Info Menu

Does anyone actually know what pickup Jesse is using in that clip?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Does anyone actually know what pickup Jesse is using in that clip?
    Yes, it is a Gibson Classic 57

User Info Menu

Ok pulled the trigger, just order and transferred $$$ hope they'll ship fast (and safe..). Had a bad experience last time around with fed-ex, so we'll see.....
    Woohoo! I am so excited. Please do a full NGD report - words and pics/video/sound if poss

Which colour and which pickup?

I bet the stock KA pickup is amazing and works a treat

Quote Originally Posted by EvansDrD
    Woohoo! I am so excited. Please do a full NGD report - words and pics/video/sound if poss

Which colour and which pickup?

I bet the stock KA pickup is amazing and works a treat
    Yes I will definitely give a little review once I have it. Not sure if I'm brave enough to do a video but who knows!! I emailed Daan Kleijn and asked what pickup he uses and he got the Lollar Imperial so I also ordered that since I really like his tone. I listened to one of Daan's youtube living room streams that made me pull the trigger. He played it (in his living room) without a fancy studio, mics or editing and it still sounded amazing.

So I pulled the trigger and bought the westville. The guitar is currently at customs and has been there since Wednesday. Does anybody have any experience importing a guitar? How long can it usually take and what end up being the costs?

User Info Menu

So I pulled the trigger and bought the westville. The guitar is currently at customs and has been there since Wednesday. Does anybody have any experience importing a guitar? How long can it usually take and what end up being the costs?
    I've bought two guitars from Masaki, but they were used American guitars, so I avoided customs since they were returning to the country of origin. The first one got held up in customs for a while via DHL. I can't recall, but it was a few days. Of course, you've also been dealing with the holiday. The second time we used FedEx and it went a bit more smoothly. Waiting really is the hardest part. Good luck with your new guitar.

I have bought several guitars from Masaki and they have taken a week to arrive from Japan to Spain (always without any problem and perfectly packaged). I don't know the costs for the USA but for Spain they are usually 22%, more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    I've bought two guitars from Masaki, but they were used American guitars, so I avoided customs since they were returning to the country of origin. The first one got held up in customs for a while via DHL. I can't recall, but it was a few days. Of course, you've also been dealing with the holiday. The second time we used FedEx and it went a bit more smoothly. Waiting really is the hardest part. Good luck with your new guitar.
    Ok, yes we used FedEx but it's probably super busy at the moment. It is still at customs but the status just turned to 'shipment clearance' so I'm expecting to have it this week! Can't wait!

User Info Menu

Yes I will definitely give a little review once I have it. Not sure if I'm brave enough to do a video but who knows!! I emailed Daan Kleijn and asked what pickup he uses and he got the Lollar Imperial so I also ordered that since I really like his tone. I listened to one of Daan's youtube living room streams that made me pull the trigger. He played it (in his living room) without a fancy studio, mics or editing and it still sounded amazing.
    Should work well, keep in mind that the clip you posted appears to be mixing the amp tone with a mike on the guitar to achieve that sound.