The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

I finally bought this beautiful Epiphone Elite Byrdland.
    The guitar of my dreams is the Gibson Byrdland (sunburst with Venetian cutaway) but as we know, this guitar has reached exaggerated prices.
    In addition, in Italy there are very few arched/carved-guitars compared to other European countries and therefore the prices are even higher.
    After reading a lot about Epiphone Elite/Elitist guitars and watching many videos on the web, I thought an Epiphone Byrdland could be a great alternative to the “Made-in-the-USA” Byrdland.… definitely cheaper.

I have to say that the short scale didn't bother me as I have very small hands, plus I had a wonderful memory of the only Gibson Byrdland that I had tried in the mid-nineties: that guitar was very, very worn but it sounded great.

It is likely that this Epiphone Byrdland is the only one in Italy and before me it had 2 other owners.
    However it is in absolutely perfect condition and has a very high level of finish.
    Frets are like new, no scratches and perfect paintwork.
    I think only the original Tune-O-Matic bridge was changed (now is in Rosewood), however, this change is excellent for me.

The serial number indicates that it was made in the Terada factory in Japan in 2003. Note that this is an ELITE model which probably predates the ELITIST series.
    The sound, of course, is not that of an L-5 or other carved-top Full-Hollowbody but it is still very good and engaging.
    The fretboard and neck are extraordinary.
    I hope to make a video in a short time, for now these are the photos.

Bye!

ettore

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

These were fantastic guitars. I think all the hardware was Gibson issue. I had a teacher who scored one of those, I played it and we both were shocked at how great a guitar it was. They were only out there a few years. Play it a lot. It'll bet better, you'll see. Lucky you. Enjoy.

User Info Menu

Wow!

User Info Menu

bellissima

User Info Menu

Gibson pulled the plug on those Elitist models because they were too good and hurt their L5 and Byrdland sales. A big Congrats.
    Wish they would bring them back.
    I had a Elitist Broadway and it was stellar. Very nice.

User Info Menu

I had one exactly like that and I sort of wish I had it back. It was an excellent guitar.

User Info Menu

Home run!

User Info Menu

Wonderful instrument. Congrats!

User Info Menu

what vinnie said and congratulations to you for getting a really tremendous guitar

BigMike

They also made a version of this guitar for the Japan only market that has a Gibson open book headstock shape you see those once in a while

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Gibson pulled the plug on those Elitist models because they were too good and hurt their L5 and Byrdland sales. A big Congrats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    This is an oft repeated old trope, but there doesn't seem to be any truth to it, and frankly, makes no sense. As nice as the Elitist Byrdlands are, they didn't sell very well when they were new. Guitar Center blew them out for pennies on the dollar when they discontinued them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by customxke
    This is an oft repeated old trope, but there doesn't seem to be any truth to it, and frankly, makes no sense. As nice as the Elitist Byrdlands are, they didn't sell very well when they were new. Guitar Center blew them out for pennies on the dollar when they discontinued them.
    Guitar Center considers something a failure if it takes up wall space for a month when they could have sold three $99 Squires in that time. I worked at GC and it's a fast cash mindset that doesn't show mercy on instruments that need an informed buyer's timeline to appreciate, save up for and then acquire. Nothing wrong with their need for survival but gearing an entire market of quality instruments on the speed with which they can be moved off a floor will pretty much assure that there will be no fruit when those slow maturing trees were cut down.

There are guitar companies that want/need to make a fast turnover to satisfy a good bottom line to satisfy the shareholders. Actually this makes sense to move your facilities to a southern location and offload the talent that builds the stuff you can't sell quickly. Maybe they can start their own company doing what do best, and when they can take that market that was once yours, you can sue them for infringement and get your lost profits back that way. Brilliant!

There's a huge market in guitars bought on whim, on impulse, on fantasy and to an unknowledgeable public. They're largely disposable compared with the investment in time, learning curve and quality associated with more serious players and their instruments.

Truth is, there ISN'T a huge income generator in high quality guitars where the rules of profit are longer term. Some brilliant exec must've suggested that Asia make an affordable quality guitar that could court that market. I'm just glad somebody wound up with this little gem that was the baby in the bath water.

I will note that I worked for Hoshino (Ibanez) and in their store house facilities, there were stacks of guitars. Their top of the line guitars that were created as part of their line up had been in the catalogues since the 80's. Those guitars are revered and currently available to anyone who wants to order one. Hoshino is a Gakki and that's a different long term model than a shareholders profit machine. Maybe they should've made their own version of the Byrdland.

User Info Menu

Wonderful instrument, congrats! Wouldn’t mind a sound sample..

User Info Menu

I suspect the main reason Gibson dropped the Elitist series was that they couldn't sell enough, not too many. They don't seem to be common, I've never seen one. If they had been selling more than Gibsons, they should be much more easily found.

User Info Menu

I know the scale is shorter, but is the neck width fairly normal? (1-11/16)

User Info Menu

On my Epiphone Birdland Elite the nut width is 42.79 millimeters, so almost identical to 11 - 11/16 inches (42.86 millimeters).

Space between High-E and Low-E strings is 36.16 mm..

The nut width on my Ibanez GB-10 (1979) is 44 mm..

ettore

www.quenda.it/jazzguitar.html

User Info Menu

There is a blonde Epiphone Byrdland Elitist available for $5000 on Reverb.

User Info Menu

I bought an Epiphone Byrdland Elitist for $ 1,000 about 15 years ago.
    I couldn't get used to this instrument and I sold it.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Byrdland and may she inspire your playing for many years to come!

User Info Menu

I have a blonde that I'm going to be posting in the group before it goes up on Reverb. Should have it up by Sunday if anyone is interested.

User Info Menu

Very nice.

User Info Menu

I have a blonde that I'm going to be posting in the group before it goes up on Reverb. Should have it up by Sunday if anyone is interested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Guess I have to stop reading these threads. I told my wife that my most recent acquisition was it...done.

Tony

User Info Menu

Whether you tell that to your wife or to yourself, it's a lie, either way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I know the scale is shorter, but is the neck width fairly normal? (1-11/16)
    Yes. Other than the scale length the neck was otherwise quite typical in terms of size and shape.

User Info Menu

It might be appropriate to talk a little bit about just WHY the shorter scale. I don't know about what others like or dislike about a shorter scale (Original Byrdland and original ES-350) but they do feel different.
    One thing, the feel of the strings is softer, almost a nylon string feel with some strings. This tends to be less 'snappy' but also an easier feel and an equivalent action tends to fret a bit softer.
    Also the reach of some chords is easier. Tal Farlow, who had enormous hands, had a short scaled Gibson just so he could reach way beyond what normal players could play. I always thought it was funny that people thought of short scale was geared towards players with smaller hands, but obviously it's not the only target player.
    Something to think about and consider in the purchase of these unique guitars.