The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Actually, they've listed it at $32,500.
    I was a buyer until I saw that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Actually, they've listed it at $32,500.
    I was a buyer until I saw that.
    <snap!> off by $500. That lets me out. I'd settle for half of Ed Bickert's talent for the same $$ !!!

You can have the guitar Jonathan. :-)

Doug

User Info Menu

Good to see the Allan key is still taped on.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Good to see the Allan key is still taped on.
    Yeah, but how do you know it's the original, vintage wrench?

User Info Menu

Ordinary 1965 Telecasters go for more. It looks like it's discounted because it was used by a jazz guitarist. That's how little respect jazz gets in the gear world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan0996
    Yeah, but how do you know it's the original, vintage wrench?
    True dat. I wants provenance!

User Info Menu

he used the ashtray cover as an ashtray on gigs

User Info Menu

But the humbucker ruins it. ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Classic.

User Info Menu

Would be cool to come from Tonto across the “Creek” to Buffalo. Maybe Hammer is interested in brokering something. At my age, way beyond my means

User Info Menu

That is so cool. Wonder what gauge strings he used. It does say he had a plain G.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    True dat. I wants provenance!
    Which one? BC or PEI?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    But the humbucker ruins it. ?
    Not if it's Ed Bickert's!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Which one? BC or PEI?
    Heh! On a related note, Bickert grew up in Vernon, BC, the town just north of me.

User Info Menu

He used to carry it around in a bag, and then throw it in his car's trunk!

User Info Menu

So unless a rich collector or Rock Star who loved Ed Bickert, good luck with that asking price! Lol! Not to say his playing wasn’t excellent, Jazz players don’t bring that much added collectors value!

User Info Menu

I'll hold out for this one, thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images Ed Bickert’s Blonde Fender Telecaster, 1965-eds2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Owned by a smoker: no wonder it is cheap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    He used to carry it around in a bag, and then throw it in his car's trunk!
    It shows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    So unless a rich collector or Rock Star who loved Ed Bickert, good luck with that asking price! Lol! Not to say his playing wasn’t excellent, Jazz players don’t bring that much added collectors value!
    They'll have no problem getting that. I was even considering it and my wife said yes if I want it. I probably won't do it but I'm close enough to yes that I have no doubt someone will. I consider it to be the most iconic Canadian guitar ever and probably one of the three or four most iconic guitars in the history of jazz. It's also the perfect seller given their history with the guitar.

User Info Menu

Jim
    I can't think of anyone more that would cherish this guitar and it's legacy than you.
    Rich
    Ps. His guitar is a reminder to me that the tone comes not so much from the guitar, but the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    They'll have no problem getting that. I was even considering it and my wife said yes if I want it. I probably won't do it but I'm close enough to yes that I have no doubt someone will. I consider it to be the most iconic Canadian guitar ever and probably one of the three or four most iconic guitars in the history of jazz. It's also the perfect seller given their history with the guitar.

User Info Menu

I have a very early ‘66 in the for sale section at 1/4 of that price

User Info Menu

Jim Soloway again no disrespect to Ed Bickert, what a great player!
    But again most famous Jazz Guitarists don’t add that much to the normal Vintage value of the instrument.
    It seems to be more of a Rock Star Collectors thing in general. I actually hope it goes for less to a great young player who will actually use it to make music instead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Jim Soloway again no disrespect to Ed Bickert, what a great player!
    But again most famous Jazz Guitarists don’t add that much to the normal Vintage value of the instrument.
    It seems to be more of a Rock Star Collectors thing in general. I actually hope it goes for less to a great young player who will actually use it to make music instead.
    Here's my thinking on the guitar.

First Ed was one of the few who was irrevocably associated with a single guitar. This is not just a guitar he owned and played some. As far as I know it is the only guitar he played in public from the mid 60's until the end of his career.

Second, it is the guitar that proved that a solid body was a viable instrument for jazz and it established the Tele as the de facto standard for that purpose.

Third, it has completely transparent history right down to when and why it was modified.

Four, it was used to make some magnificent music.

Five, Ed is a Canadian icon, in many ways it is Ed, not Lenny Breau who is the both the father of Canadian jazz guitar and the carrier of the torch who never moved away Canada. Just that last part makes him a very special hero to Canadians. So it's value is undoubtedly higher in Canada than anywhere else.

And finally six, the seller is not only reputable but also has an association with this guitar going all the way back to the beginning including having done all the mods.

Probably the player I would most like to see with it is Tim Lerch.