The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

So pretty much I've been looking around on the internet for older/cheaper brands like kay, harmony, silvertone, ect but am having a hardtime finding any information on the products being sold. Ive been specifically looking at Silvertone H623, Kay k30, kay deluxe 6838 and a Kay k37. If anyone has info on where to find information for them I'd appreciate it

For reference I am looking for something with a smaller bout (15-16), preferably a 1 3/4 nut width and a 16" radius. Also I'll settle for something like a 16" radius with and a smaller nut width or a 12" radius with a 1 3/4.
    Also, if you know other guitars that meet this requirement (even if its not the older brands) I'd appreciate it. At the most I'm looking to only spend a grand

Thanks in advance.
    -Raquel

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richay
    So pretty much I've been looking around on the internet for older/cheaper brands like kay, harmony, silvertone, ect but am having a hardtime finding any information on the products being sold. Ive been specifically looking at Silvertone H623, Kay k30, kay deluxe 6838 and a Kay k37. If anyone has info on where to find information for them I'd appreciate it

For reference I am looking for something with a smaller bout (15-16), preferably a 1 3/4 nut width and a 16" radius. Also I'll settle for something like a 16" radius with and a smaller nut width or a 12" radius with a 1 3/4.
    Also, if you know other guitars that meet this requirement (even if its not the older brands) I'd appreciate it. At the most I'm looking to only spend a grand

Thanks in advance.
    -Raquel
    Godin 5th Ave (no pickup) or 5th Ave Kingpin (same guitar with as p90 screwed to the guitar top) has a 16" fretboard radius and 1.72" nut. Either can be found used for well under a grand. They only make the Kingpin version now, which goes for $750-800-ish new. They kind of capture the vibe of old Kays and Harmonys, but are much better made than the cheaper ones (much closer to an ES-125 than a Silvertone). Eastman ar405e has a 1.75" nut and a 12" fretboard radius, and is Eastman's attempt at an ES-125 copy. They don't make them anymore; used ones look to go for $800-ish. I had a Godin Kingpin and think they're great guitars (IMO, probably the best archtop you can get at that price point. The Eastman is nicer than the Godin in terms of overall fanciness and build quality, but doesn't really sound or play better (at least not the one I tried).

I don't know any thing specific about Harmony, Silvertone, or Kay specs, but based on the limited numbers I've tried I think they have smaller nut radii and fretboard radii than what you're looking for.

User Info Menu

Harmony History | ChasingGuitars

Hopefully this helps......

They made a boatload of catalogue guitars - -Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc etc.....Gene Autrey, Roy Rogers, The Hawaii palm tree models, etc etc...

We had a couple around the house and I started on one. But these days we're talking yard sale items.....

And if a Godin or Eastman fits your requirements, I sure wouldn't be looking at these others. But that being said, if a '50's Vega appeared, check it out !

MHO of course but good luck !

User Info Menu

There are certainly some diamonds among the rocks, but Harmony and Kays are a raggedy bunch. Most of them were made cheaply and have not held up well with time—neck bend and so forth.

That said, I have a 1964 Harmony Brilliant Cutaway (pressed top) that I will put up with any non-carved Gibson or Epiphone from the time. It’s just a beautiful guitar, and captures the midcentury design vibe better than any other archtop out there.

So if you can find one, they’re great guitars.

Looking for archtops w/ 16 radius, from older cheap brands (kay, harmony, ect)-8e64848d-e4be-4e22-9e43-7a46f497d621-jpg
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 10-09-2022 at 09:14 AM.

User Info Menu

I think that compared to those old guitars the current Gretsch New Yorker wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Solid spruce top too (though at 650$ it will probably be pressed rather than carved) and you get a (reissue) DeArmond PU:

Hollow Body :: G9555 New Yorker™ Archtop Guitar with Pickup, Semi-gloss, Vintage Sunburst

The specs do mention a 9.45" fingerboard radius but in the photos it looks much more like 16".

User Info Menu

This auction has what you seek...skip ahead to Lots 17549 - 17610
    October 11th: Eclectic Variety Auction on Oct 11, 2022 by William Bunch Auctions & Appraisals in PA

User Info Menu

That’s some incredible stuff—guitar and non-guitar-related!

Is this from a single estate or seller? Any inside info?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That’s some incredible stuff—guitar and non-guitar-related!

Is this from a single estate or seller? Any inside info?
    In my experience, these auction companies accumulate items from a few estates plus the occasional single consignment client and then assemble an auction. I would guess all those cool guitars came from one estate and the family took the quickest method to liquidate the estate assets.

User Info Menu

I have been saying for a long time my goal in life is to have a bang up estate sale. I want the people at the sale to say, what a cool guy, I wish I had known him when he was alive.

To that end, we hit some vintage shops in Iowa City this weekend, and I picked up 3 more Victorian/Deco brass inkwells to add to my collection. Soon I will have to buy another display case for my acquisitions. I also collect duck decoys and not surprisingly display cabinets LOL.

And guitars. But didn’t see any of them worth buying this weekend. I did see a 60’s era Gibson nylon string. It had a lot of issues, including a cracked top, and was not in great shape for $400, so I passed. If anyone says I was crazy to pass it up, I can go back and get it later.

User Info Menu

Back to the OP I have a Kay 37. It is a nice looking and sounding guitar, but due to neck issues it requires a special saddle, and I have it set up for slide guitar now. And added a pickup.

I think you will have a hard time finding a Kay or Harmony or Silvertone in excellent condition unless it is a late-ish model with a truss rod. And even then.

I agree with other posters that the Godin gets that vibe in a modern, well-made and very comfortable guitar like the Kingpin. I have one of those too.

Looking for archtops w/ 16 radius, from older cheap brands (kay, harmony, ect)-f1d3400d-1bba-41a4-b7ae-3987560c8193-jpg