The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Maybe a little bit older than we normally look at here:

Collection/Sale | davidjacques

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

thanks for sharing the link, Rob, that would make for an interesting afternoon, to check some of these out in person.

your videos made and web-site made me aware of gut strings, I am ready to give them a go.

thanks.

User Info Menu

Get good ones: DamianStrings.com or Gamut Strings in the States, Aquila Gut and Silk in Europe.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 10-05-2022 at 08:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Kind of hoping there was a Stradivarius or Guadagnini archtop in the lot.

User Info Menu

Fascinating trip into the past. The older shapes appear strange to my modern eyes, yet must have held beauty for their makers. My loss, I am sure.u

User Info Menu

Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Joe Bonamassa!

User Info Menu

I dig the Panormo. Big fan of his work.

User Info Menu

I can’t tell if the Obbo has 6 single strings or 6 courses.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I can’t tell if the Obbo has 6 single strings or 6 courses.
    Actually 5 courses.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link. There is a picture of a Matsuru Tamura from 1974. I used to have one from that same year, my first serious classical guitar. Sold it many years ago.

User Info Menu

Beautiful Rob. Makes me wish I hadn’t neglected my right hand technique when I picked up the plectrum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Actually 5 courses.
    So maybe MG was involved in the transition from 5 courses to 6 singles.

User Info Menu

Possibly as a youngster. The Italians had a 5-string guitar they called the Guitarre Franchese, which was sometimes single, sometimes double strung. This might be one of the latter.

Here's a video I made of a copy of an early 6c Spanish guitar which I bought from this collection...and sold a few weeks later. It was an interesting project.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitars—thanks for posting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Put THAT in your pipe and smoke it Mr. Joe Bonamassa!
    This does indeed remind one of an acoustic evening in Vienna

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Possibly as a youngster. The Italians had a 5-string guitar they called the Guitarre Franchese, which was sometimes single, sometimes double strung. This might be one of the latter.

Here's a video I made of a copy of an early 6c Spanish guitar which I bought from this collection...and sold a few weeks later. It was an interesting project.
    Excellent informative video (and playing). How do the courses affect the right hand technique?

User Info Menu

The technique of plucking a pair of strings instead of a single string is often very easy for some people, very hard for others. I aim for the space in between the pair. But I’ve played double-course lutes for 30 years, so no longer think about it.