The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

A few months ago I needed to get some custom pickguards for a few guitars. I had talked to a lot of pickguard makers and while there are many competent makers, nobody offered a pickguard made of thick single ply celluloid, like Epiphone, D'Angelico, and Gibson used back in the day. I was convinced that everyone (even the high end stuff) today is using double ply tortoiseshell acrylic, until I talked to TK Smith, who mentioned he knew of a supplier of the high quality thicker single ply stuff. He ordered some materials and made me some new pickguards, which are honestly the most beautiful pickguards I've ever seen. They are dark red translucent tortoiseshell, which looks great as the light passes through them. Perfect on any guitar finish (blonde, black, sunburst).

Anyway, I wanted to share since this weekend I finally got my Trenier and Epiphone back. They look phenomenal. The Trenier one was traced from an original Bryant Trenier pickguard which was notched and drilled for a pickup (which I decided not to mount), so it's as good as original except made of even better materials.

New Pickguards from TK Smith-img_5418-jpgNew Pickguards from TK Smith-img_5410-jpgNew Pickguards from TK Smith-img_5415-jpgNew Pickguards from TK Smith-img_5421-jpg
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 10-02-2022 at 09:53 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

thanks for sharing the pics, the pickguards look just perfect.

as everything, that Mr. TK Smith does.

User Info Menu

Beautiful. TK does fantastic stuff!

This morning while I was practicing the sun came out and illuminated the top of the guitar. I couldn't not take a picture.

New Pickguards from TK Smith-img_5443-jpg

User Info Menu

So the pick guard is acrylic and not celluloid, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by skittles
    So the pick guard is acrylic and not celluloid, correct?

They are made of genuine celluloid nitrate.

User Info Menu

Any risk of future off-gassing? (Just trying to get educated here: thanks!)

Yes there’s a slight risk, but not all celluloid pickguards deteriorate over time at the same rate. I have guitars that are nearly 100 years old and the original pickguards are perfectly in tact.
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 10-05-2022 at 11:13 AM.

User Info Menu

My 37 New Yorker has the original pickguard and it is completely fine no changes. BTW, I also make D'angelico and other pickguards however I am pretty expensive but fast. I got one on Reverb now for sale for a New Yorker. It depends on the material and they vary to say the least.

D'Angelico New YorkerPickguard | Reverb

User Info Menu

TK Smith is an arcane wizard. Looks great!