The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Just got this from Japan, after waiting a while for one to become available. It's basically a Gibson ES 140, but improved. Binding, nicer inlays and pickguard, 23 1/2" scale, 1 5/8 nut. I can't believe how well-made this guitar is. Easily equal to the Sadowskys, Gibsons, and Seventy Sevens I've owned. I changed out the tailpiece for a ES 140 type, which fits the guitar better.
    It came perfectly set up with flatwounds. The tone is thick and warm, but defined. Single notes really pop. Some would call it "thunk". Surprisingly, one of the nicest old-school jazz tones I've heard!
    And its SO cute!

Archtop Tribute AT 105J....so cute!-img_2343-jpg

Here it is next to a 16" guitar for comparison:

Archtop Tribute AT 105J....so cute!-img_2341-2-jpg
    Last edited by Gilpy; 04-22-2023 at 03:17 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Now that is an interesting little archtop!

I found the specs and now I'm even more intrigued by it.

And yes, it is very cute.

Specs:

AT105 Jr. / AT105 Jr. Classic / Spec. -
    Body : Plywood (Hard Maple/Spruce)
    Body width : 13 1/5”
    Body depth : 3”
    Scale Length : 23 1/2”
    Neck : South African Mahogany 1-piece
    Fretboard : Indian Rosewood
    Bridge ASSY : Indian Rosewood (Custom Made)
    Pickup : Original Alnico III Humbucker (AT105)
    Pickup : Original Dog-ear style Single Coil Pickup (AT105 Classic)
    Control Pots : CTS
    Output Jack : Switchcraft

User Info Menu

Masaki Nishimura of Archtop Tribute and Westville is a wonderful person to do business with. Glad you're enjoying the new, cute guitar!

Yes, Masaki is a really great guy to buy a guitar from. And I’m so impressed with the quality of this guitar.

User Info Menu

Hey, I have one of those as well! Everything you say about fit and finish, as well as it’s sound, is spot on. I too replaced the tailpiece with the same one as you did. I’m still scratching my head over their decision to use a full size 175 tp. I went a step further and added a bridge pickup. Fantastic guitar.

User Info Menu

nice guitar !

(and the Comins on the second pick is....wahooooo)

User Info Menu

Lovely guitar. Here’s a vid of the 102 Jr. Sounds great!

User Info Menu

Love It? What’s the neck profile like and are they really expensive?

The neck is a full C shape, very '50s Gibson, but not too fat. Nut is a little over 1 5/8". Despite its dimensions, it has the substantial feel of a real guitar.
    Prices have gone up, but considering the quality I was fine with paying $1750 for this. The guitar is flawless and fun to play!

Original ES-140s now seem to be in the $3500+ range. I have played some, and would rather have the Archtop Tribute.

User Info Menu

I looked at their web-site the other day, so many different guitars, it is overwhelming.

I couldn't find the junior though, do you have a link ?

I get the impression that not all their models are always available. They seem to sell what they have on ebay.
    They are very responsive, so it would be best to email them with questions. Masaki communicates very well in English.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    I looked at their web-site the other day, so many different guitars, it is overwhelming.

I couldn't find the junior though, do you have a link ?
    would love to get a blonde junior. lets do a batch order to germany

Does anyone have 1st and 12th fret measurements of these archtop tribute models?
    im interested in the at175..

User Info Menu

Didn't Tal Farlow play something like this painted red. I know his was a Gibson but about this size.

User Info Menu

I would do very bad things for a left handed version of that.

Terrible things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    I would do very bad things for a left handed version of that.

Terrible things.
    Like order one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeko
    Didn't Tal Farlow play something like this painted red. I know his was a Gibson but about this size.
    Tal Farlow's ES140 used in the early 50s in the Red Norvo trio when accompanying singer Mel Torme

Archtop Tribute AT 105J....so cute!-gibson-es-140-51-tal-farlow-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    The neck is a full C shape, very '50s Gibson, but not too fat. Nut is a little over 1 5/8". Despite its dimensions, it has the substantial feel of a real guitar.
    Prices have gone up, but considering the quality I was fine with paying $1750 for this. The guitar is flawless and fun to play!

Original ES-140s now seem to be in the $3500+ range. I have played some, and would rather have the Archtop Tribute.
    I like everything about it except the nut width. My experience with short scale guitars is that they should be as wide as possible so that some of the finger space you give up in length can be regained from added width. That's one of the things I like about the Emerald X7. The scale length is 24" but the nut width is 1.75" coupled with a flat radius.

User Info Menu

the Emerald is ugly as f, I will not touch it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    Like order one?
    I wish, don’t think they make them left handed.

Are AT guitars even around anymore? Couldn’t find a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I like everything about it except the nut width. My experience with short scale guitars is that they should be as wide as possible so that some of the finger space you give up in length can be regained from added width. That's one of the things I like about the Emerald X7. The scale length is 24" but the nut width is 1.75" coupled with a flat radius.
    Yeah, I know what you mean, a wider fingerboard would be great on this guitar. I have large hands and have not been having a problem with the 1-5/8” nut. I think the contour of the neck and, of course, individual playing style are factors.
    When you get down to the 1-9/16 nut on the original Es-140s.....no.
    That Emerald X7 looks really interesting!
    Last edited by Gilpy; 10-15-2022 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    Yeah, I know what you mean, a wider fingerboard would be great on this guitar. I have large hands and have not been having a problem with the 1-5/8” nut. I think the contour of the neck and, of course, individual playing style are factors.
    When you get down to the 1-9/16 nut on the original Es-140s.....no.
    That Emerald X7 looks really interesting!
    I've been playing my Mustang almost exclusively for the last few weeks and chording near the octave can feel really cramped. I'm working on a short scale design with someone that I'm hoping will come to fruition in the next six months or so. It would be a thin mostly hollow body with a 24" scale length, a 1.75" nut width, a fairly flat radius and fairly large frets. The idea is to get the benefit of a short scale length in a less constricting format on a more serious guitar. I'm optimistic that it will happen but I'm definitely not certain.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 10-16-2022 at 09:42 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a quick question for Archtop Tribute AT105 (not Jr). I currently have Epiphone ES-175 premium MIK with Gibson 57 classic humbuckers. I pretty much like my Epi ES-175 premium but I've been reading through all the good stuffs about AT105 tones, quality, etc. Should I place an order from Masaki san? I was in conversation with him in email but couldn't decide if AT105 will be really better than Epi ES-175 premium... Current USD/JPY is great but dollar is getting weaker (a bit) and I need to decide before USD/JPY back to normal... can't miss this bargain I guess.

User Info Menu

Could you please let me know the exact weight and neck depth at 1st and 12th? That's the only thing holding me back from ordering because those specs are so important to me because of physical issues I have. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by branbolio
    Could you please let me know the exact weight and neck depth at 1st and 12th? That's the only thing holding me back from ordering because those specs are so important to me because of physical issues I have. Thanks!
    Good to see you here.