The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I'm looking at 2 of these, one as a local sale, and wondering if anyone has had experience with them, both 90's era. I think. Thank you for any perspective.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gone through a couple of amps but keep my Peavey Classic 30. Put in an Eminence Cannabis Rex 16 speaker and a 5751 in the V1 tube socket and I’m happy. Mine is from the late ‘90s when they were still made in St. Louis. Current production is China if that matters to you. My reverb went out and it’s probably just the OP amp but that Tri-fold circuit board with connecting jumpers is just too old and fragile looking for me to deal with. I use the effects loop with a pedal.

User Info Menu

My Classic 30 and Classic 50 were early issue, MIA, and still working. The early Delta Blues I found very tempting. A Guitar Player review was the impetus for the Classic 50 order, a decision I never regretted. The Classic 30 just kind of came along. Excellent cleans, footswitchable gain, sweet reverb, tone for days. At 66 lbs, a dolly is required, and worth it.
    As for the offshore versions, I have no experience or opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    At 66 lbs, a dolly is required, and worth it.
    As for the offshore versions, I have no experience or opinion.
    That must be the weight for the 50. A 30 weighs slightly less than 40lbs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    That must be the weight for the 50. A 30 weighs slightly less than 40lbs.
    Quite right, my bad. I should have been more specific. TBH, that 40lbs feels like 66, these days!

User Info Menu

Had an early Delta Blues 1x15 that sounded great for all music styles. I sold it to chase another rig.
    But to this day I still miss that fat bottom girl.

User Info Menu

Really depends on your ears and personal needs. While both are fine amps they never ended having the tone I heard in my head.
    Amps are just tools to achieve your desired comfort zone.

And for me Quilter offers the closest sound I prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    Had an early Delta Blues 1x15 that sounded great for all music styles. I sold it to chase another rig.
    But to this day I still miss that fat bottom girl.
    Good to hear all of this. Thank you.

Delta Blues is on the way, MIA, and I will look at the MIA 30 on Monday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Gone through a couple of amps but keep my Peavey Classic 30. Put in an Eminence Cannabis Rex 16 speaker and a 5751 in the V1 tube socket and I’m happy. Mine is from the late ‘90s when they were still made in St. Louis. Current production is China if that matters to you. My reverb went out and it’s probably just the OP amp but that Tri-fold circuit board with connecting jumpers is just too old and fragile looking for me to deal with. I use the effects loop with a pedal.
    Interesting, was some St. Louis Music making them at some point? I assumed they had been made in Mississippi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Interesting, was some St. Louis Music making them at some point? I assumed they had been made in Mississippi.

Me too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    Good to hear all of this. Thank you.

Delta Blues is on the way, MIA, and I will look at the MIA 30 on Monday.
    Very cool. You'll like the amp's swampy tremolo and reverb as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan

You are probably, most likely, correct. I am laboring under the mistaken assumption that Peavey, St. Louis Music, and Crate all used the same production facility.
    Last edited by TedBPhx; 10-02-2022 at 10:49 AM.

User Info Menu

I also have a MIA Classic 30 and I really like it. Unfortunately I don't get to use it that often, so I added a DV Mark LJ for playing at home. I don't plan on selling the C-30 anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Strbender
    I also have a MIA Classic 30 and I really like it. Unfortunately I don't get to use it that often, so I added a DV Mark LJ for playing at home. I don't plan on selling the C-30 anytime soon.
    I'm wondering if I'm getting into a tech repair repeat scene with the MIA C-30. Has your C-30 been reliable? I'm reading about tubes burning out in rapid succession.

User Info Menu

I've had my Classic 30 for a few years and love it . EL 84's are my favorite tube.

User Info Menu

Cheap way to get classic tone. Sounds like an american tube amp. Had a classic 30 for a long while before I turned to the digital blasphemy to which I'm still devoted.

This was played on a Classic 30 iirc - maybe a strat and OD isn't the sound you'd be going for, but I think it sounds great!

User Info Menu

I have had both amps: Classic 30 & Delta blues 1-15! Both are MIA. These amps share the same 4-EL84 powered amplifier and differ only in speaker/cabinet size. The Delta Blues with it's 15" speaker moves more air & has a fuller bottom end sound. They are both nice amps, and I had no issues with either. I still have the Delta Blues--gave the Classic 30 to my niece years ago. I prefer EI-84's to to other power tubes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomvwash
    I'm wondering if I'm getting into a tech repair repeat scene with the MIA C-30. Has your C-30 been reliable? I'm reading about tubes burning out in rapid succession.
    I've had no issues with the tubes. I purchased it new around 1997 and only pushed it hard for a couple years playing blues. Since then it's been my practice amp. I replaced the original tubes about 4 years ago with matched sets of Eurotubes from JJ's electronics. It's worked fine with the new tubes. The C-30 has recieved good reviews from users wanting a small tube amp for playing clean jazz guitar. Which I agree with.
    I'm looking forward to using it at louder volumes again as I'll have the house to myself a few hours a week.

Classic 30 and the Delta Blues both arrived. The Delta Blues traveled from CA to FL, carefully packed from Mahar's Vintage Guitars in Chico. Reinstalled the tubes this afternoon. Tip top shape, both of them. What tanks. What tone. Gear mania!

Thanks again for the comments.