The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anyone making them? I posted this some time ago but forget the responses.
    I used to get 13-54 standard from D'Aquisto back in the day. Ideally I like a 13/17 that tapers to a 52 or even a 54. The 13-56 I normally use are a bit heavy in the low strings than I prefer. I always liked top heavy/slightly lighter bass sets and was talking to Pete Bernstein about 20s yrs ago, he said John Pearse made him a custom set close to a 13-52, he may have even have used a 14/18 on top, I can't remember.
    I could buy 12-52 sets and swap the E and B for 13 and 17's but I like the aforementioned taper, just trying to see what's out there. Pure nickel a plus.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thomastik makes 13-53 strings.

13-53 Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Beware they're lighter in tension than other strings, so they might feel like a 12-52 set.

There's also these ones, but never tried them

Rotosound Handmade Nickel Electric Guitar Strings R13 Heavy 13-54

Pyramid Gold Chrome Pure Nickel Flat Wound Round Core Electric Guitar Strings R412 Heavy 13-52

Usually I get a 12-52 set and change the first strings to 014 and 019.

User Info Menu

If you want round wound nickel strings, the Pearse standard Jazz Medium nickel set (ref 2700) is .012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .052 and the Jazz Heavy set (2900) is .013, .017, .026, .036, .046, .056 . If you sub a 13 & a 17 in the 2700 (or a 42 & a 52 in the heavy set at slightly higher cost), you'll be right where you want to be. Breezy Ridge is a great source, and they'll probably still make up custom sets of JP strings for you if you call. They're a few $ more per set than the online discounters, but I've gotten great service from them since JP was in his prime. If they'll still sub the two strings you want to change for the same price as the standard set, they're about the same price as buying a full set plus 2 and tossing the top 2 from the standard set

I prefer flats, so I sub a 13 & a 17 in TI JS113s. But after all the raves here, I'm going to try a set of Bensons and a set of Pyramid Gold Chrome nickel flats (13 17 24w 33 42 52, which seems to be what you want) when I get back on the stand at the end of the month. I love my TIs, but ya never know....

User Info Menu

I had the same convo with Pete Bernstein 4 years ago and I think he says he buys the regular 12s from John pearse and upgrades the trebles.

I order custom sets from Newtone. 13 17 24 32 42 52 for electric. I’ve been getting round core nickel plated steel (they don’t have pure nickel unfortunately).

Curt magnan also has custom sets and you can get pure nickel with round or hex core. I have yet to try them since you can only get their custom sets in packs of four. Pure Nickel Electric Custom Guitar Strings

Honestly though the John Pearse nickel jazz strings are phenomenal and cheap. Might just be easiest to buy those and upgrade the trebles.

User Info Menu

Try these Thomastik BB114 – Thomann UK. My personal favourite set.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    If you want round wound nickel strings, the Pearse standard Jazz Medium nickel set (ref 2700) is .012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .052 and the Jazz Heavy set (2900) is .013, .017, .026, .036, .046, .056 . If you sub a 13 & a 17 in the 2700 (or a 42 & a 52 in the heavy set at slightly higher cost), you'll be right where you want to be. Breezy Ridge is a great source, and they'll probably still make up custom sets of JP strings for you if you call. They're a few $ more per set than the online discounters, but I've gotten great service from them since JP was in his prime. If they'll still sub the two strings you want to change for the same price as the standard set, they're about the same price as buying a full set plus 2 and tossing the top 2 from the standard set

I prefer flats, so I sub a 13 & a 17 in TI JS113s. But after all the raves here, I'm going to try a set of Bensons and a set of Pyramid Gold Chrome nickel flats (13 17 24w 33 42 52, which seems to be what you want) when I get back on the stand at the end of the month. I love my TIs, but ya never know....

thanks Dave, the 2700's are $12.70 @ Breezy but $6.97 @ just strings, that's a pretty significant difference
    I still have some sets from when Sadowsky stopped selling them so I'll decide what to do when I'm closer to running out.

User Info Menu

D'Addario NYXL Round's around $12.
    Really like this model of strings.

13-52/54 round wounds?-20221004_084030-jpg13-52/54 round wounds?-20221004_084110-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    thanks Dave, the 2700's are $12.70 @ Breezy but $6.97 @ just strings, that's a pretty significant difference
    I still have some sets from when Sadowsky stopped selling them so I'll decide what to do when I'm closer to running out.
    Wow - 50% more is significant for sure! Even with the need to toss & replace the top 2, it still adds up over a year. Since I switched to TI flats, I’m getting many months from a set on my archtops. I posted an audio comparison months ago of 16 month old and brand new JS113s on my AF207, and there was no clear difference. Some here even thought the old ones were the new ones. So I no longer go through 20+ sets a year. Even on my solid bodies used for blues gigs, I get a minimum of 6 months. My Raines / Forshage Tele with Hipshot bridge and Tusq nut hasn’t broken a string since I set it up (2 years or so), even with aggressive bending.