The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

I am looking for comfortable guitars with a smaller scale.
    I play a lot of classic 3/4 scale guitar.
    Are there, for example, smaller-scale Stratocasters?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"... classic 3/4 scale guitar ..."?

Do you mean that you play a guitar with a 19.125" scale? Which guitar is that? Or maybe you mean a so-called 3/4 size classical guitar, with a scale length in the range 22-24 inches per Classical Guitar Sizes: A Buyer's Guide.

Steel-string acoustic and electric guitars are commonly available with 25.5, 25, and 24.75 inch (~648, ~635, ~628mm) scales, e.g., Fender Strat, Gibson L5; PRS; and Gibson Les Pauls.

Smaller scales than that are rather uncommon. You could try using a capo at the appropriate fret.

Did you have a budget in mind?
    Last edited by dconeill; 09-30-2022 at 03:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Squier produces shortscale Strats Search Results - Page 1 – Thomann United States

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    "... classic 3/4 scale guitar ..."?

Do you mean that you play a guitar with a 19.125" scale? Which guitar is that? Or maybe you mean a so-called 3/4 size classical guitar, with a scale length in the range 22-24 inches per Classical Guitar Sizes: A Buyer's Guide.

Steel-string acoustic and electric guitars are commonly available with 25.5, 25, and 24.75 inch (~648, ~635, ~628mm) scales, e.g., Fender Strat, Gibson L5; PRS; and Gibson Les Pauls.

Smaller scales than that are rather uncommon. You could try using a capo at the appropriate fret.

Did you have a budget in mind?
    I mean a so-called 3/4 size classical guitar.I use Antonio Sanchez-3/4 guitar.

User Info Menu

I have a Taylor Koa GS Mini-e that is a sheer joy to play and sounds remarkably good plugged in for the $ .
    I take it everywhere .

Guitars with a smaller scale-koa-gs-mini-e-jpg

Maegan Wells makes exquiste small scale archtops .. well worth a look , she's a fabulous luthier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I am looking for comfortable guitars with a smaller scale.
    I play a lot of classic 3/4 scale guitar.
    Are there, for example, smaller-scale Stratocasters?
    - There are so-called conversion necks that can convert a Fender from 25.25” to 24.75"
    - Fender Jaguars have a 24” scale
    - Vintage Fender mustangs have a 22” scale; modern ones have 24"
    - Gibson Byrdland and ES-350T have a 23" scale (as do some of the Japanese copies)
    Last edited by John A.; 10-01-2022 at 01:56 PM.

User Info Menu

The major problem with most of these small guitars, is they make them with very narrow necks. I get why they think it would be a good idea, but it’s really a terrible one from the perspective of a young persons learning instrument.

I wish we’d see more proper guitars with the byrdland scale length.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    ... - Gibson ... ES-350T have a 23" scale ...
    Only some of them. I had an early 1980s ES-350T that had a 25.5" scale. One or more of the variants made in the 1950s had a 23.5" scale, as did the Birdland.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    Only some of them. I had an early 1980s ES-350T that had a 25.5" scale. One or more of the variants made in the 1950s had a 23.5" scale, as did the Birdland.
    Yes, 23" was a mistake; should've written 23.5. And yes, there are some with the 25.5" scale.

User Info Menu

We're working on a new guitar with a 24" scale length but it's at least several months out.