The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

doug's plugs is no longer making them I hear...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jack, I thought you said you didn't like them because they changed the tone and preferred plastic wrap.
    I've used them for 20 yrs and don't notice any significant change, especially at gig volume.
    no one is making them afak, but you can make yourself a pair w/some high density foam and a bandsaw.
    I'm 1/2 tempted to start making them myself, could be a good little side gig.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Jack, I thought you said you didn't like them because they changed the tone and preferred plastic wrap.
    I've used them for 20 yrs and don't notice any significant change, especially at gig volume.
    no one is making them afak, but you can make yourself a pair w/some high density foam and a bandsaw.
    I'm 1/2 tempted to start making them myself, could be a good little side gig.
    i don't care if they change the tone anymore...I'm already doing so many things that have changed the tone that at this point it doesn't matter. (playing with bare fingers, using a modeling amp, playing through a bass amp/cab, etc).

I recently borrowed an ibanez gb10 that has plugs in it and it sounds great. Muffled compared to without the plugs but I'll take the reduced feedback over the esoteria at this point...

User Info Menu

Stuff your ES-175 with carded sheep's wool until it feels rock-hard as you said the sadly departed Pat Martino did with his L-5CES?

User Info Menu

Some art student could probably make it for you for the price of a pair of Doug's Plugs. Send him or her a tracing of the f-holes and EVA foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Stuff your ES-175 with carded sheep's wool until it feels rock-hard as you said the sadly departed Pat Martino did with his L-5CES?
    it was upholstery cotton but no, i'm not gonna do that. Not looking for martino's sound anyway...

User Info Menu

I bought an ES-159D 20 years ago. Best guitar I have owned. Feed back issues. Removed back pick up. Inserted bass wood strips and pine blocks. Feed back resolved. Added significant weight. I have been playing the Gibson only sparingly recently because it was so heavy it has been bothering my shoulder. So I removed the back pick up. Pulled all the wood blocks and strips back out. Quite a chore. Then played it unblocked. Too much feedback. Took it apart again. Stuffed foam behind the f holes and covered it with black vinyl sheet cut to fit the hole. Much much better. Lighter and easier on the shoulder. Looks good too.
    Attached Images Attached Images Where can I get 175 F hole plugs?-20231205_125701-jpg 

User Info Menu

Carpenter Guitars Custom F-Hole Anti Feedback Plugs black Carpenter Guitars Custom F-Hole Anti Feedback Plugs black | Reverb