The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

.... I tried them. Lasted a long time but 'eh..... not my cuppa.

13-52 / 53? Too big, like darn suspension bridge cables, lol......had to widen the hole in the bridge of my Ibanez to push the low E string through it. In my opinion not worth the extra money. I think I paid full retail for them $39.95 USD. I can see how some people would like them, definitely quiet, stay in tune very well. But I'm going back to Thomastik JS-111 / 11-47. YMMV and all that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thick strings have a big sound, but playing them is not easy.
    The Thomastik JS-111 / 11-47 is definitely too thin for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Thick strings have a big sound, but playing them is not easy.
    The Thomastik JS-111 / 11-47 is definitely too thin for me.
    Actually the 11 is too thin for me too..... I prefer a 12 high e, wouldn't seem to be a big deal but it is a real difference, lol. (I also like the 19 or 20 unwound g string). The Thomastik JS-111 is about as close as I can get to an 'off the rack' retail set without getting into mixing and matching gauges to get exactly what I want. Doing that is a big P.I.T.A.

cheers.
    Last edited by ChazFromCali; 09-22-2022 at 04:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChazFromCali
    Actually the 11 is too thin for me too..... I prefer a 12 high e, wouldn't seem to be a big deal but it is a real difference, lol. (I also like the 19 or 20 unwound g string). The Thomastik JS-111 is about as close as I can get to an 'off the rack' retail set without getting into mixing and matching gauges to get exactly what I want. Doing that is a big P.I.T.A.

cheers.
    I prefer 12 and 13 Thomastic swing-great strings.

User Info Menu

I've used the Benson 12 wounds GR112 for years on and off . I dapple with others, but they're still my go-to. I tried the regular brand Thom bebob round 12's, but they felt different.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I've used the Benson 12 wounds GR112 for years on and off . I dapple with others, but they're still my go-to
    I’ve never gotten an explanation of how JS112s differ from a set of Benson flat 12s. Apart from a few thou in diameter of a few of them and different color silk wrap, is there any difference in composition, construction etc (or anything else)?

User Info Menu

I have the 14s on my D'Angelico Vestax NY. They sound and feel thick, but surprisingly I do not think they are too heavy for that guitar. I would not put them on my L5s or on any of my other archtop. I normally use 12s to 50 someting flats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I’ve never gotten an explanation of how JS112s differ from a set of Benson flat 12s. Apart from a few thou in diameter of a few of them and different color silk wrap, is there any difference in composition, construction etc (or anything else)?
    You misread, I use the Benson round wounds.

User Info Menu

Hiw are the Benson rounds different from the Bebops? Are they squeakier?

User Info Menu

Another 0.14 Benson fan here. I play exclusively finger style. Benson 14’s feel the same size as D’Addario 12’s. Nearly identical in circumference. Big fan. I play nothing else. Ever!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I'm a round wound guy. Don't ask me about flats.

User Info Menu

I saw that you use the RWs. My question was basically what the difference is between Benson strings of either type and the same gauge strings in other TI series of the same type. TI makes strings in the same gauge in both types in both series - flat and round, Benson and Bebop or Jazz Swing.

I could just as easily have asked if anuone knows the difference between strings of the same size in the Benson GR112s and the BB112s. The 4th, 5th and 6 th strings are 30, 38 and 53 in both sets. The only difference I've ever been able to identify is the color of the silk wrap. So what is the reason the Bensons cost so much more than the BBs? Are they in fact different at all?

User Info Menu

Hey Never… ive noticed (and this may be entirely in my somewhat strange mind) that the GB flat wounds have a somewhat more brilliant or bright character to them. They do break in pretty quick, but to me still retain a different sound than the TI JS. I used them on everything for years, Ibanez and Gibson, but once i tried the JS I didnt look back. Just like the sound.
    But, again, at our age relying on our ears is pretty chancy!)))
    Although mine are a tad younger, just a tad.

jk

User Info Menu

On the Heritage Owners Club forum in 2010, somebody called Ray said Jazz Swing flat wound and round wound are exactly the same as the George Benson Jazz strings.

Huge if true.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    On the Heritage Owners Club forum in 2010, somebody called Ray said Jazz Swing flat wound and round wound are exactly the same as the George Benson Jazz strings.

Huge if true.
    I don't know about the flats, but the GB rounds definitely feel different than the Jazz BeBop rounds. I've switched back and forth several times. I could pick them out in a blind test.

User Info Menu

I don't know about the flats, but the GB rounds definitely feel different than the Jazz BeBop rounds. I've switched back and forth several times. I could pick them out in a blind test.
    is there any difference you can define or characterize for us?

It’s just a little hard to imagine that it’s worth separate production supplies, methods, materials etc for TI to carry out parallel manufacture of two strings that are identical in cores, dimensions, and windings but are subtly different in some other way(s). I’d think they’d need sales of both in sufficient numbers to support a business case for the practice - but I can’t believe there are enough players using Bensons to justify a separate line. They’re expensive enough to deter most players, but (unless they sell a whole lot more than I think they do) they’re not expensive enough to cover the costs of their own production line.

I’m going to try a set myself, since it’s the only way to know how they perform for me on my guitars. I’m not naïve enough to believe that if I don’t understand or believe something it can’t be right. I’m just a bit skeptical that a JS flat (or round) and a Benson of the same design made of the same materials to the same specs and exactly the same dimensions can be so different as many describe. If they are, something has to be different between them - winding tension, size of the winding wire, core diameter, winding speed, etc.

User Info Menu

Are ones smoother than the other?

User Info Menu

The GBs feel "softer'" to the touch, if that makes any sense.

User Info Menu

The GBs feel "softer'" to the touch, if that makes any sense.
    Gonna give them a try

User Info Menu

Search is our friend....

From this 10 year old thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Vast difference in my opinion. The differences between Swing and Benson:
    Bensons go dull very quickly. Personal taste will determine if that troubles you or not.
    Swing are very bright at first and then mellow a little but never go "thud" like the Benson's eventually will. They stay a little lively.
    Benson's are silky smooth.
    Swing's are ever so slightly rougher...but still very flat wound.
    You can just see the wind on the Swing's whereas you can barely see it on Benson's.

The big difference and game changer for me was the way my L5 responded to the Swing's.
    My guitars sounds 2" deeper. I can now hear a lot more body tone when I play chords and single note playing is alive with a more acoustic sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher
    Just for fun, has anyone contacted T-I and asked them what exactly are the differences (besides the gauge mix) between Swing flats and GB flats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    No, but I did read a description somewhere about the core being different somehow. Mind you that could have been just a blurb for advertising. But they look very different......and I don't mean just the colour of the end wrap. The strings are more of a chrome colour and you can see the winding a bit more. They sure sound different.
    I just sent TI in Vienna a message asking what the differences are. I'll report back if and when I get a response.

User Info Menu

FYI, I've also emailed Thomastik-Infeld with this very question. It was about a month ago, and I still haven't received a reply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by c.mf
    FYI, I've also emailed Thomastik-Infeld with this very question. It was about a month ago, and I still haven't received a reply.
    It’s a common event! I’ve been a loyal Ibanez player for about 50 years, and they have yet to respond to any of my requests for parts, information, or any other assistance with any of the 6 I’ve had. My gigging archtop and my only flattop are both Ibbies that I bought new and registered for warranty purposes - one’s about 22 years old and one’s about 5. I also bought new and registered two of the four that I no longer own.

I have a long list of music industry organizations, manufacturers, dealers, etc from whom no one I know has been able to elicit a useful response. TI is now on it too.