The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

I'm just looking for advices, opinions on a gear question. Sorry for my english, I'm french.

My main (and only) archtop is a 78' Guild X-500. For years I've wanted a luthier archtop, acoustic with a floating pickup. I really dig that sound, like Peter Bernstein type and many other modern jazz players. I also dig more and more the acoustic archtop sound for home playing... I don't gig as much as I used to (would like to, but Canada ain't a place for musicians), and with a baby at home, acoustic playing is cool. I also have a trio in which we play all kinds of jazz, standards and pop/rock arrangements, but going for a modern type of sound.

I've now decided to go with a Guillaume Rancourt archtop, who is an awesome (in my opinion) luthier from my region, which is the Eastern Townships in Canada. I'll go with a 17" cedar top archtop with Pete Biltoft single coil pickup.

My question: I'm think of selling my X-500 to finance it, but I'm just not sure. I could keep it, but I would be much tighter financially for a while. Is a laminate top, lesser quality (but still very nice) guitar worth keeping when you have a high end, modern archtop? Any of you guys have both type and use them both?

My only concern is that the X-500 is really an electric guitar with humbuckers, and I might miss that... but I might not. Rancourt lended me a guitar for a week and honestly... it was much better than my Guild on every aspects... but different, it can't really fill (I think) that vintage Wes vibe, which is cool.

Obviously there is no right or wrong answer to this question... I'm just interested in other players opinion on that topic. Arguments on both sides might help me make a decision... or not

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

As you say, no right or wrong answer.
    I'm not a collector, hoarder or one who buys for the sake of it. That's just me.
    I'd buy & keep what my immediate needs are and purge that which is no longer relevant.
    My life has enough clutter as it is in it.
    If I felt I needed the flexibility in the next few years then i might be inclined to keep the other Guitar.
    I would have agonized over the decision and selection of what I have and don't want to repeat the process or go backwards in the sale/repurchase process if it came to that.
    But first above all I would be asking myself (As you probably already have) my purchase a need or a want?

EMike.

User Info Menu

If you're going to get a new guitar I'd keep the Guild until then to be sure you want to sell it.

User Info Menu

Two very different types of tone. If you're like me, you'll find you want or need the flexibility of both at some point. That said, unless you have an emotional attachment to the Guild, it's a much easier guitar to replace with a similar type instrument down the road.

User Info Menu

.........I think you can always use a decent guitar w/ a humbucker. And that new ca-ching guitar w/ the floater may be great for at-home playing, but truthfully - - will you ever want to take it anywhere after spending heavy money on it ?

MHO & good luck !

User Info Menu

Map0Spread,

I remember I had the same problem. My first jazz guitar was Guild x-150, and after time for my fingerstyle solo playing I need refreshment. With Elferink Tonemaster (carved, wide neck, floating KA) I fulfilled all my wishes. At that time I was with two babies and when the kids were not in my arms, Elferink was. Guild was hanging on the wall a long time.
    But, when I started playing with a big band again I realized that for many situations Guild was better option. Now Guild is for band playing and for solo performance/ home playing Elferink is always choice.
    Guilds are standard and great jazz box. You might regret if you sell it.

Bonne chance!

User Info Menu

When in doubt, don’t.

Recently I had to sell two of my beloved PRS guitars to finance another guitar. I miss the PRS’s. Sorely. But I was never in doubt. The guitar I bought, we were just meant to be. It makes me play and sound much better than I am. There was no choice, really. Missing a guitar and regretting selling it are different things. Missing is OK. Regret isn’t.
    Last edited by Oscar67; 09-21-2022 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Typo

User Info Menu

You have to get used to the new guitar - like a girl.
    For me, it usually takes a lot of time.

User Info Menu

These days, I only play three guitars, each for a special purpose. The ones that serve a similar purpose but aren't as good sit there virtually unused. I'd sell them but they are not worth much anyway.

Last week, I was offered an American Professional Stratocaster at an amazing prize. I tried it and realised that it wouldn't replace my Tele, so I let it go. I don't need two solidbodies, I'd only ever play one of them.

I don't even play my archtops much; the Tele plays so much better and does 99% of what they can do.

Just my two cents.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Map0Spread
    I
    My only concern is that the X-500 is really an electric guitar with humbuckers, and I might miss that... but I might not. Rancourt lended me a guitar for a week and honestly... it was much better than my Guild on every aspects... but different, it can't really fill (I think) that vintage Wes vibe, which is cool.
    No one can answer this for you, but personally I would keep the X-500 because after 30 years of playing I learned that I play for so many so very different occasions (recordings, well paid gigs, underpaid gigs, jam sessions, outdoor concerts in the rain, freezing cold, scorching heat, noisy bars, quiet tea rooms, checking in the guitar for flights......) that no one guitar can cover them all and I need different guitars for different situations.

Another possible solution: sell the X-500 and buy a cheap laminated Ibanez double humbucker archtop instead...... (An Ibanez AF55 is a hard to beat guitar for the money that will capture 80% of the X-500). Or a telecaster..... every self respecting guitarist needs a telecaster...

User Info Menu

I just found a 1983 Ibanez FG100 , a simple lam-top /16" archtop with two of their Super-58 pickups and that guitar will be my go-to axe for sessions, Bar jobs, teaching etc. I paid € 1000,- for it and you should be able to find such a guitar in Canada for a similar price. Sell you Guild, spend some of the money on a simpler guitar (there are MANY out there that will give you that basic/classic Wes type sound for relatively little $$$) and keep the rest to invest in diapers, nannies etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar67
    When in doubt, don’t.
    Missing a guitar and regretting selling it are different things. Missing is OK. Regret isn’t.
    Not always things are so clear. You might end up in a mixed feeling of missing and regretting.
    Or you might think you will only miss it but, instead, you will deeply regret.

User Info Menu

If you feel you have a strong connection to your Guild x-500 and you can afford to keep it, I would at least wait a year or two before selling it, and wait untill the newness has worn off a newer guitar.

These days I play a lot a guitar I bought 20 years ago and played a lot for a period of time, but then for several years I barely touched it and played other guitars instead. I somehow knew I had a connection with it and didn't think of selling it.

I once sold off a guitar I had a connection with (similar scenaro, played much for a period of time, followed by a period of playing other guitars) when I purchased a more expensive guitar to justify the purchase to myself (I could have afforded to keep both but it was a bit steep) and I do regret a bit that I sold it, even though it made sense at the time.
    (however I really like the more expensive guitar I purchased on that occasion, and I would without doubt pick that one over the one that I sold, but I could have picked both)

User Info Menu

Sometimes you don't know the strengths of a guitar until you have a chance to compare. If you can afford, why not hold onto it and really commit to playing, practicing and challenging yourself to grow with both of them for a few months. Set yourself a learning goal (a new piece as a chord solo arrangement for instance) and maybe you, as did for me, might find they both add something to your progress and playing that a single approach may not have provided.
    Becoming a more capable player can come from a more diverse toolbox. They're both different enough that you might want to keep both and become a better player through them.
    If after 6 months you the answer hasn't become clear, sell.
    Good luck and I hope you're happy with your decision.

User Info Menu

Dude… your English is fantastic!

User Info Menu

It's always a hard choice. I had a Guild X500 for many years, played daily until the frets wore out.
    So it sat in its case for a long time while I played other guitars.
    Eventually I was offered a good deal in a part exchange for a lovely Gibson L7 and away it went.
    Kind of missed the option of a nice laminate archtop hum-bucker guitar, so I looked at all the cheaper alternatives, but found nothing I really felt worth while.
    I finally wound up with a second hand Benedetto Bravo, which is the most inspiring electric guitar I have ever played on.
    If there is any moral in this story, it is that a Guild X500 is a difficult guitar to replace, and you might find yourself spending quite a bit of cash to do so.
    As always YMMV.

User Info Menu

BTW, I'm no expert with Guild guitars, so I wondered, in which price range can you find a Guild X-500? I looked up Reverb.com and the result is that a used one is very expensive. And also a relatively rare guitar, so I personally would think twice before selling it.

User Info Menu

If you've developed an affinity for it, keep it . It's always nice to have a broader palette to choose from .

The carved tops are more fragile , so laminates are good choice when less than ideal conditions are present.

I have both and they have their place.

User Info Menu

I would keep it for six months. If after that time period you find that the carved top satisfies your playing needs completely, sell it. You need to get past the honeymoon stage, that's when you can really decide. I've been very fortunate to have owned lots of archtops. I find these days I enjoy playing the laminates a bit more. I'm sure that would depend of the guitar though. The player enjoyment comes from how the guitar responds and there are many factors that contribute to that. Good luck with whatever you decide.

User Info Menu

My advice:

Buy everything with a return privilege.

Don't sell anything. That's because most players seem to regret every sale.

All that said, if a person needs the money, I'd suggest buying the new one with a return privilege. Then taking your time selling the old one to get the best price you can.

User Info Menu

Wow, thanks for all your advices. I felt dumb asking this question, but in the end, your answers are so enlightening.

Someone asked for how much do the vintage X-500 go... I paid mine 2500$ 2 years ago. It is a great guitar, and I don't really want to sell it... but the new one will be more than twice this price, which is pretty heavy for me... but still a very good price given the guitar.

rpjazzguitar, no possibility of returning it since it is custom built, but I tried his guitars and they are marvellous...

Given your advices, I think I will keep it for the moment at least. I might regret selling it, that's certainly a possibility. Money will be tight, but money come and goes... in 10 years I probably won't miss it, but the vintage Guild, I might!

Thanks everyone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    My advice:

Buy everything.

Don't sell anything.
    There. That's better! :-)

User Info Menu

If you can afford both, do it. I have an Eastman carved, and a Sadowsky laminate. I love the clear bright tone, and louder volume of the carved at home. But I always gig with the laminate. As long as I keep gigging almost weekly (now mostly broadway shows and big band), I'm keeping both. I'm in my 60s. When there comes a point where I can't physically play out, I'll probably sell both and get a higher end carved top.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-22-2022 at 07:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    If you can afford both, do it. I have an Eastman carved, and a Sadowsky laminate. I love the clear bright tone, and louder volume of the carved at home. But I always gig with the laminate. As long as I keep gigging almost weekly (now mostly broadway shows and big band), I'm keeping both. I'm in my 60s. When there comes a point where I can't physically play out, I'll probably sell both and get a higher end carved top.
    Same for me! I’ve only had 2 archtops for a few years now. I bought a new Ibanez AF207 over 20 years ago and it’s been my only gigging archtop the entire time. But I finally got myself a carved Eastman because I really wanted one before I’d be too feeble to play it

The Ibby is solid as a rock and still looks new after hundreds of gigs. I take great care of my instruments. I keep them clean, humidified, and physically protected (case, safe storage area etc). I even wear my belt buckle to the side while playing. But I can’t imagine that a French polished, carved archtop would have survived anywhere close to what the laminated box takes in stride. The Eastman sounds fantastic and I love playing it at home - but it hasn’t left our apartment since I got it. So there’s good reason to have both, especially if you play out at all.

When I went entirely to 7s, I sold my blond X500, black 165, SB Gretsch Synchromatic, and early ‘50s L50. For over 20 years, the AF was my only archtop among many solid bodies. I definitely missed the sound and feel of a good carved archie, and I hope I never have to choose between carved and laminated. I do not expect to ever sell the AF unless I find another laminated box that’s even better but still affordable for me.

It’s also hard to imagine that a ‘78 X500 will ever lose value from here on. It’s a wonderful guitar!

User Info Menu

You’re going to miss that X-500 if you sell it. You want tonal diversity. If you sell it, you lose that.