The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I flew to Toronto last week and had the great pleasure of spending Friday afternoon with Glenn and Keith Murch. I hadn't seen Glenn and Keith since the last time they attended the Arlington Guitar Show over 10 years ago. It was wonderful catching up with old friends, admiring Glenn's beautiful instruments and playing tunes all afternoon. Glenn and Keith are such talented musicians. It was a real treat to make music with them. I got to sample Glenn's beautiful D'Aquisto which was originally commissioned by our esteemed member QAman. That D'Aquisto has lead a charmed life going from Steve's gifted hands to Glenn's gifted hands. The two D'Angelicos seen in the attached picture are wonderful instruments as well. We hopped on a couple 50's 175s, Benedettos, and a PAF equipped Byrdland among others. Sorry I don't have more pictures. We were so busy playing tunes I didn't get a chance to snap photos of all the guitars. Although many of those fine instruments can be seen in the Murch Fest II post by Hammertone. Needless to say, it was a great afternoon at Glenn's lovely home. Thank you to Glenn and Keith for picking my son and me up at the train station and hauling us out to Glenn's house. It was also a pleasure to meet Glenn's charming wife. I hope to be back for another visit. Thanks again, gentlemen! From left to right is myself, Keith and Glenn holding some world class instruments!

Murch brothers hospitality-me-keith-glenn-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What a wonderful day it was, spending time with our good friend, D’Aquisto Fan. We have all spent so much of the last few years staying home and not being able to get together with friends. In the last couple of weeks, my brother and I have had two occasions to drag the old guitars out and play them with other members of this forum. Making such good friends, and having the opportunty to play music together, is the best part of this crazy obsession we have.
    Keith

User Info Menu

The guitar can bring us together but it is the people and personalities that make the real deal. I had one of those experiences recently over a guitar with a forum member. The guitar playing was fun but it was the stories and personalities that make it cool. We need more of this in the world today.

User Info Menu

Now THAT is cool.
    Keith has been a friend on this forum for me. DQfan (yeah so he likes ice cream , doesn’t make him a bad person), has been a friend and he was also instrumental in landing me one of the best guitars I’ve ever owned, my beloved L5 Wes. What I see in that group of guys is total class, outstanding talent and a passion for archtops that gives me goosebumps.
    I wish I was there. The greatest instruments ever made, great players and really cool guys. How can it get better? Food! What did you guys eat?
    Joe D

User Info Menu

How would you guys describe those 3 guitars sound?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    How would you guys describe those 3 guitars sound?
    My impression of those three guitars is pretty consistent with what one would expect. The cutaway Excel D'A is a warm, smooth
    electric machine. It was handled the most that afternoon because after initially playing acoustically, we plugged in for the rest of the day. It's a
    lovely, sophisticated sounding D'A and super comfortable to play. The 18" D'A New Yorker is a terrific example of John's acoustic archtop sound. So smooth and resonant while effortlessly cutting through the mix. The voice is big, fat, round and oh so sweet. Nothing nasally or piercing in the tone at all. The D'Q Excel has that more refined, modern Jimmy sound. Especially an example like this from 1991, which was originally built for QAman. I must confess, the D'Q's set up was a bit challenging for me. Although not a problem for Glenn. They are all world class instruments in their own right. Different, but wonderful in their own, unique way. It was a real privilege and pleasure to make music with them.

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    What a wonderful day it was, spending time with our good friend, D’Aquisto Fan. We have all spent so much of the last few years staying home and not being able to get together with friends. In the last couple of weeks, my brother and I have had two occasions to drag the old guitars out and play them with other members of this forum. Making such good friends, and having the opportunty to play music together, is the best part of this crazy obsession we have.
    Keith
    Thanks, again, Keith! You're absolutely right. The guitars are wonderful, but the friendships are priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Now THAT is cool.
    Keith has been a friend on this forum for me. DQfan (yeah so he likes ice cream , doesn’t make him a bad person), has been a friend and he was also instrumental in landing me one of the best guitars I’ve ever owned, my beloved L5 Wes. What I see in that group of guys is total class, outstanding talent and a passion for archtops that gives me goosebumps.
    I wish I was there. The greatest instruments ever made, great players and really cool guys. How can it get better? Food! What did you guys eat?
    Joe D
    Thanks, Joe! Glad you're still loving the L5 Wes. That's an amazing instrument. And finally someone realizes I'm not really a D'Aquisto fan. I'm a Dairy Queen fan! Full disclosure, I'm a bit embarrassed by my name on this forum. But it seems like it's too late to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    The guitar can bring us together but it is the people and personalities that make the real deal. I had one of those experiences recently over a guitar with a forum member. The guitar playing was fun but it was the stories and personalities that make it cool. We need more of this in the world today.
    You're absolutely right, Mark. I've made so many friends via the guitar community. More friends than guitars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    My impression of those three guitars is pretty consistent with what one would expect. The cutaway Excel D'A is a warm, smooth
    electric machine. It was handled the most that afternoon because after initially playing acoustically, we plugged in for the rest of the day. It's a
    lovely, sophisticated sounding D'A and super comfortable to play. The 18" D'A New Yorker is a terrific example of John's acoustic archtop sound. So smooth and resonant while effortlessly cutting through the mix. The voice is big, fat, round and oh so sweet. Nothing nasally or piercing in the tone at all. The D'Q Excel has that more refined, modern Jimmy sound. Especially an example like this from 1991, which was originally built for QAman. I must confess, the D'Q's set up was a bit challenging for me. Although not a problem for Glenn. They are all world class instruments in their own right. Different, but wonderful in their own, unique way. It was a real privilege and pleasure to make music with them.
    That is as great a review of these guitars, as I've ever heard.
    Once you've heard a D'Angelico, "smooth" takes on a whole new meaning.. And you dont even have to play it properly. Trust me, I've been there!
    JD

User Info Menu

Very nice people. I got to know them a bit at the old Long Island jazz guitar show ... that's now more years ago than I care to think about

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    That is as great a review of these guitars, as I've ever heard.
    Once you've heard a D'Angelico, "smooth" takes on a whole new meaning.. And you dont even have to play it properly. Trust me, I've been there!
    JD
    A few weeks earlier, another friend played many of the same guitars. He has studied Johnny Smith’s music and style extensively and he played several of Johnny’s arrangements note-for-note on the D’Angelico Excel, which was plugged in to a vintage Ampeg amp. We all noticed that this guitar had sustain like no other archtop that is equipped with a only a floating pickup. The notes seemed to ring out endlessly. The tone was rich in mids and the notes were perfectly balanced everywhere on the fingerboard. The best way I could describe the sound, is that it seemed to be exactly what I hear when I listen to Johnny Smith’s old Roost recordings (which were made with a very similar guitar and amp).
    Keith