The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For the first time, I managed to inadvertently press that speaker selection button. It did take a few minutes to figure out what was going on at an inappropriate time. If future I am going to make sure I load my car so that no other gear is leaning against the back of the amp. I think a bag of accessories ended up leaning against the back of the amp.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    For the first time, I managed to inadvertently press that speaker selection button. It did take a few minutes to figure out what was going on at an inappropriate time. If future I am going to make sure I load my car so that no other gear is leaning against the back of the amp. I think a bag of accessories ended up leaning against the back of the amp.
    Stuff happens! Many years ago I was in a quintet with a piano player who was mediocre at best. But he was best friends with the drummer, and this band only played local charity events and such. In those days, there were no affordable and easily carried keyboards, and there were acoustic pianos almost everywhere we played - so he wasn't really audible. Thankfully, he was too cheap to buy a Rhodes (which he couldn't have carried anyway) and he claimed that Wurlitzers were toys.

When practical keyboards came along, he got one, along with a Peavey amp (much to our dismay). But for some odd reason, he believed that if he plugged cables into the amp from both L & R outputs, he got better sound even though it was not a stereo amp and it only had one speaker. We absolutely couldn't get him to understand or believe us. As it really didn't matter, we let him fulfill his fantasy. But one day he connected both ends of the same cable to the keyboard outputs and both ends of his second cable to the amplifier inputs. "Should we tell him?" "Nah!" So we let him struggle unsuccessfully for an entire set to figure out why he wasn't getting any sound before I showed him what he'd done.

He immediately plugged both cables in correctly and continued to do so until the bass player, the sax player, and I told the drummer that either the pianist went or we went. So we got a new piano player. The next thread will be entitled "be careful what you wish for!" - but that's for another day.

User Info Menu

It's not really a speaker selection switch, it's just an on/off switch for the internal speaker. If an external speaker is connected, it's active full time, regardless of the position of the switch. You can turn the internal speaker on or off, nothing else. At least that's the way mine works.

User Info Menu

Mine just turns the internal speaker on or off. Doesn't seem to affect anything else.