The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Have not had a NGD for some time so opted for an Ibanez AMH90 in black - will report back.

Amusing but thorough review:

Serious etude:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

congratulations!

User Info Menu

Congrats! Another super-value-for-the-money from Ibanez. You can't go wrong with these. If only they kept a slower pace when introducing new models! You have to be a real geek to know which is which. My AFJ91 from years back still serves me from gig to gig, unless I want to show off with my ES-175 or Benedetto Bravo. It has the best neck of them all and, as a tool, is up to any challenge a run-of-the-mill player may face.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Congrats! Another super-value-for-the-money from Ibanez. You can't go wrong with these. If only they kept a slower pace when introducing new models! You have to be a real geek to know which is which. My AFJ91 from years back still serves me from gig to gig, unless I want to show off with my ES-175 or Benedetto Bravo. It has the best neck of them all and, as a tool, is up to any challenge a run-of-the-mill player may face.
    Thanks. NGD/GAS on hold until tomorrow afternoon when French shipper Colissimmo now say they will make the drop. Completely agree with your comment. My AFJ95 albeit with a Seth Lover in the neck is still a favourite after 7 years of hard use. I think the neck profile on the AMH90 is almost identical. Miss my Peerless Renaissance Custom (topic diversion) - the one I should never have sold, which is also fully hollow. It now lives with my former teacher here in FRance Alain Bouvelle and it has become his go to model:

User Info Menu

Did not go well - sending it back. Neck angle poor to thte extent that the TOM was at zero adjustment. Bax Sop were excellent and are exchanging it for an AS93. No price increase. Will report back.

Sad day.

User Info Menu

I was gonna say to hold off on the ngd announcement until it's in your hands but didn't want to rain on your parade. Hopefully you'll find something else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat
    Did not go well - sending it back. Neck angle poor to thte extent that the TOM was at zero adjustment. Bax Sop were excellent and are exchanging it for an AS93. No price increase. Will report back.

Sad day.
    That's a bummer. I recall this design issue being raised by others on another thread. Clearly it's not a one-off issue. Has anyone seen the new Ibanez AMH 90 yet? - Page 2 (jazzguitar.be)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LifeOnJazz
    That's a bummer. I recall this design issue being raised by others on another thread. Clearly it's not a one-off issue. Has anyone seen the new Ibanez AMH 90 yet? - Page 2 (jazzguitar.be)
    Wish I'd seen that thread before ordering. Thanks for the link. Not sure the neck break angle thing is entirely about unseasoned Indonesian hardwoods - if at all. To be frank ( as with all cheap to mid-range acoustic flattops ) I think it is a cynical move to get them out of the factory without too much time consuming fine adjustment. Deliberately glue the neck in at a high break angle - 'job done' is a lot faster than checking the angle precisely for a suitable mid-point. Or am I just a cynic?Maybe someone like Jim Soloway would have a view on this?

My understanding was that Ibanez had quality control points in all importing companies that controlled standards before distribution to retailers. Certainly this one has a QC tag hanging off it. Just what are they actually checking?A lot of the time they get away with it clearly because one would imagine that the bulk of models in this price bracket are sold via on-line retailers with 30 day returns policy and not in shops.

Thanks again.

David

User Info Menu

Drat! Better luck next time!