The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Does anybody know if Gibson has any plans to make a new run of these? I'm not really interested in vintage anything.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

By vintage, do you mean anything used? There's a new one on Reverb, but it's a bit pricey.

Gibson Custom Shop L-5 Wes Montgomery 2013 Sunburst | Reverb

User Info Menu

Yes, I was referring to used.
    I did see that 2013 NOS one in Australia you referenced but the price is a bit too much compared to what they were selling for when they were still in production.

I was hoping that Gibson would start up the line again on this model and offer it as a regular production guitar thus bringing the price down to a more realistic number.

Thanks for the post.

User Info Menu

I just bought this 2022 from The Music Zoo

Wes Montgomery L-5-6412ed7f-ae1f-4ea6-b6d9-e41499d92ab6-jpgWes Montgomery L-5-9d5b6238-f045-4bb0-8146-d4c80b4b0623-jpgWes Montgomery L-5-17d9c92e-b31f-45f0-bda0-00a7188d66ad-jpgWes Montgomery L-5-0c13915e-2435-4acd-9369-29208222fb1a-jpg

User Info Menu

Hold on.
    That's a new in-production model Wes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    Hold on.
    That's a new in-production model Wes?
    Yes brand new 2022.

User Info Menu

So I guess that answers my question about it still being produced. Wow.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

BTW - You have a beautiful specimen there. I never thought I'd care for a solid color archtop but I'll certainly make an exception with yours!

User Info Menu

Spectacular guitar. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Ok, this is getting weird...again.
    I contacted my dealer who has a close relationship with the Custom Shop and he said that they haven't heard anything about Gibson making NEW archtops.

User Info Menu

I just wrote The Music Zoo about your particular guitar.
    Here's the screen shot of their reply.

Wes Montgomery L-5-71b6e886-84c2-42aa-8bc4-b5dc9ad0e7b9-png

User Info Menu

Not sure where you're located but - -

Gibson Custom Shop L5 Wes Montgomery 2014 Xlnt Condition - musical...

And that hasn't sold.......

Good luck !

User Info Menu

Wow.
    That's exactly the finish I want.
    Man... I live in Oregon so actually seeing it first is obviously not going to happen. Craig's List is always a gamble. The price is right too. Especially when it's OBO.

Now the question is, do I want to roll the dice. Thanks for the post!

User Info Menu

Wow.
    Man... I live in Oregon so actually seeing it first is obviously not going to happen. Craig's List is always a gamble. The price is right too. Especially when it's OBO.

I wouldn't be too concerned about buying used if the guitar has been well cared for. A ding or two isn't a deal breaker for me, and you usually get a discount! Plus you can usually suss out the seller's vibe when you talk to them, should help figure out if it's a less than reputable situation.

If you are concerned about getting a dud, just make sure you can return it. I have not heard that they have made many dud Crimson series however. And make sure the seller knows how to pack and ship a guitar of this quality! It's tricky.

User Info Menu

I just wrote The Music Zoo about your particular guitar.
    Here's the screen shot of their reply.

Wes Montgomery L-5-71b6e886-84c2-42aa-8bc4-b5dc9ad0e7b9-png
    Actually I ordered it 13 months prior to getting it. TMZ advised me that Gibson is not taking brand new orders till 2023. They have a serious backlog wait.

LOL…..with your quest.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 09-17-2022 at 07:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Not sure where you're located but - -

Gibson Custom Shop L5 Wes Montgomery 2014 Xlnt Condition - musical...

And that hasn't sold.......

Good luck !
    Wow.

Looks nice and a pretty reasonable asking price considering the Crimson Custom price hike in 2014. Worth a long drive or a plane ticket just to see it. Mark McGuire was the Custom Shop foreman in 2014 before he retired, replacing the sorely missed James "Hutch" Hutchins. Not that I have seen many but the few Crimson Custom archtops I came across were all finely made and sounded great to my ears. I have a 2012 LeGrand (black COA booklet) which was made just before the Crimson Custom Shop was launched.

An 8- to a 10-year old archtop is going to sound much better than a brandnew one, I aver, and I consider the ageing a bonus. Like a great slab of beef, get it well hung!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Looks nice and a pretty reasonable asking price considering the Crimson Custom price hike in 2014. Worth a long drive or a plane ticket just to see it.
    +1 (plane ticket plus uber) worth it for an $8k guitar. Oregon to LA shouldn't be too much.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-21-2022 at 08:25 AM.