The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Does anybody know if Gibson has any plans to make a new run of these? I'm not really interested in vintage anything.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

By vintage, do you mean anything used? There's a new one on Reverb, but it's a bit pricey.

Gibson Custom Shop L-5 Wes Montgomery 2013 Sunburst | Reverb

User Info Menu

Yes, I was referring to used.
    I did see that 2013 NOS one in Australia you referenced but the price is a bit too much compared to what they were selling for when they were still in production.

I was hoping that Gibson would start up the line again on this model and offer it as a regular production guitar thus bringing the price down to a more realistic number.

Thanks for the post.

User Info Menu

I just bought this 2022 from The Music Zoo

Wes Montgomery L-5-6412ed7f-ae1f-4ea6-b6d9-e41499d92ab6-jpgWes Montgomery L-5-9d5b6238-f045-4bb0-8146-d4c80b4b0623-jpgWes Montgomery L-5-17d9c92e-b31f-45f0-bda0-00a7188d66ad-jpgWes Montgomery L-5-0c13915e-2435-4acd-9369-29208222fb1a-jpg

User Info Menu

Hold on.
    That's a new in-production model Wes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2-5Guy
    Hold on.
    That's a new in-production model Wes?
    Yes brand new 2022.

User Info Menu

So I guess that answers my question about it still being produced. Wow.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

BTW - You have a beautiful specimen there. I never thought I'd care for a solid color archtop but I'll certainly make an exception with yours!

User Info Menu

Spectacular guitar. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Ok, this is getting weird...again.
    I contacted my dealer who has a close relationship with the Custom Shop and he said that they haven't heard anything about Gibson making NEW archtops.

User Info Menu

I just wrote The Music Zoo about your particular guitar.
    Here's the screen shot of their reply.

Wes Montgomery L-5-71b6e886-84c2-42aa-8bc4-b5dc9ad0e7b9-png

User Info Menu

Not sure where you're located but - -

Gibson Custom Shop L5 Wes Montgomery 2014 Xlnt Condition - musical...

And that hasn't sold.......

Good luck !

User Info Menu

Wow.
    That's exactly the finish I want.
    Man... I live in Oregon so actually seeing it first is obviously not going to happen. Craig's List is always a gamble. The price is right too. Especially when it's OBO.

Now the question is, do I want to roll the dice. Thanks for the post!

User Info Menu

Wow.
    Man... I live in Oregon so actually seeing it first is obviously not going to happen. Craig's List is always a gamble. The price is right too. Especially when it's OBO.

I wouldn't be too concerned about buying used if the guitar has been well cared for. A ding or two isn't a deal breaker for me, and you usually get a discount! Plus you can usually suss out the seller's vibe when you talk to them, should help figure out if it's a less than reputable situation.

If you are concerned about getting a dud, just make sure you can return it. I have not heard that they have made many dud Crimson series however. And make sure the seller knows how to pack and ship a guitar of this quality! It's tricky.

User Info Menu

I just wrote The Music Zoo about your particular guitar.
    Here's the screen shot of their reply.

Wes Montgomery L-5-71b6e886-84c2-42aa-8bc4-b5dc9ad0e7b9-png
    Actually I ordered it 13 months prior to getting it. TMZ advised me that Gibson is not taking brand new orders till 2023. They have a serious backlog wait.

LOL…..with your quest.
    Last edited by vinnyv1k; 09-17-2022 at 07:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Not sure where you're located but - -

Gibson Custom Shop L5 Wes Montgomery 2014 Xlnt Condition - musical...

And that hasn't sold.......

Good luck !
    Wow.

Looks nice and a pretty reasonable asking price considering the Crimson Custom price hike in 2014. Worth a long drive or a plane ticket just to see it. Mark McGuire was the Custom Shop foreman in 2014 before he retired, replacing the sorely missed James "Hutch" Hutchins. Not that I have seen many but the few Crimson Custom archtops I came across were all finely made and sounded great to my ears. I have a 2012 LeGrand (black COA booklet) which was made just before the Crimson Custom Shop was launched.

An 8- to a 10-year old archtop is going to sound much better than a brandnew one, I aver, and I consider the ageing a bonus. Like a great slab of beef, get it well hung!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Looks nice and a pretty reasonable asking price considering the Crimson Custom price hike in 2014. Worth a long drive or a plane ticket just to see it.
    +1 (plane ticket plus uber) worth it for an $8k guitar. Oregon to LA shouldn't be too much.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-21-2022 at 08:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    By vintage, do you mean anything used? There's a new one on Reverb, but it's a bit pricey.

Gibson Custom Shop L-5 Wes Montgomery 2013 Sunburst | Reverb

The link to this 2013 model now takes me to a 2009 model for sale in the UK. I had a quick noddle on it unplugged last week.
    My experience with L5s is almost zero having only tried a couple many years ago when I was only a rock guitarist and jazz string bass player.
    It was a beautiful guitar to look at, felt really comfortable to play and had a very smooth sound. The strings were surprisingly (to me) light and roundwound.
    The only thing was I struggled to stop the low E string from slipping off the frets. That occasionally happens with my LP on the high E string but never to the extent of this L5. I'm OK with all my other guitars.
    Would you say this is possibly an inherent problem with modern L5s, just this one, the light strings or me?
    Thanks

User Info Menu

I have 4 modern L-5 ‘s and never had a problem with strings rolling off the edge. Maybe the bridge was off center ?

User Info Menu

OP here.
    Thanks for the information but I've already found a beautiful L-5 that I just couldn't pass up. 1994 (Terry Ryan built) '52 Reissue. A+ condition and plays as good as it looks.

Wes Montgomery L-5-img_7746-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    I have 4 modern L-5 ‘s and never had a problem with strings rolling off the edge. Maybe the bridge was off center ?
    I checked that but it was perfect.
    PS meant to say thanks for the info!
    Last edited by garybaldy; 08-20-2023 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

OP here.
    Thanks for the information but I've already found a beautiful L-5 that I just couldn't pass up. 1994 (Terry Ryan built) '52 Reissue. A+ condition and plays as good as it looks.

Wes Montgomery L-5-img_7746-jpeg
    More than worth the wait! Congratulations!