The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Been fiddling around with one. Does anyone have experience with these or JC's in general who also LIKES them? The last time I was plugged into one was in my high school jazz ensemble so it's been awhile.

The question, what are your go-to settings for a balanced warm tone?

Open to any and all feedback regardless of the axe you usually play through it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just adding a touch of clean boost, a bit louder than unity volume adds a lift and warmth to the tone. Without being treblely, note separation is improved. You can do the same thing with a low gain od pedal and add the slightest bit of gain. As with most effects IMHO, if one can " hear" the effect, you've used too much. It should sound good, while not necessarily being identifiable as X or Y effect.

User Info Menu

I do not think of my JC as a warm sounding amp, more of an amp the cuts through with good note definition, a very close to the best version of Rolands chorus, and the ability to run stereo fx in one amp. I used it a lot with a covers band. It also work surprisingly well with a heavy late 60s cover type band.

It has been a long time (3 to 4 years), since I was regularly using my JC 40 and my JC 70. However my memory suggests I was using a HBE detox eq to dial in a little warmth. (The detox eq is a germanium eq). I have also used an ep boost to add warmth. I can not remember if I used that pedal with the JC. I can not remember what dirt pedals worked best. I know I was using a Revival Drive… but I am not sure if that would really warm it up. Sorry it has been too long.

I keep thinking something about PUs… I know I used a Jazzmaster a lot at that time, but it was not about a warm jazz tone… kinda of scares me that I forgot so much, however my whole divorce process was starting about the same time as I was using that amp a lot… I remember a lot about that.

User Info Menu

I've heard some folk suggest turning the bass and treble all the way off, and using the midrange knob as the only tone control. I haven't run across a JC since getting this tip, but seems worth a try...

PK

User Info Menu

I never really got any warmth from my long gone JC40. You might try speaker changes putting in some bass guitar speaker. The stock Roland speakers seemed aimed into treble land.
    Good Luck DC from NoVa
    jk

User Info Menu

I suggest you get your "warm" from a pedal. I like the TC Spark in "fat" mode.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    I never really got any warmth from my long gone JC40. You might try speaker changes putting in some bass guitar speaker. The stock Roland speakers seemed aimed into treble land.
    Good Luck DC from NoVa
    jk
    I did think that my JC 40 could have benefited from a speaker change. If I remember right the JC 40 speakers are 4 ohms, which made it difficult for me to find some speakers I wanted to use.

I am thinking about picking up one of those polytone pedals. I bet that could make a real difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede
    I do not think of my JC as a warm sounding amp, more of an amp the cuts through with good note definition, a very close to the best version of Rolands chorus, and the ability to run stereo fx in one amp.
    Agreed. Its hard to compare to my other amp, a 68 DRRI with a Celestion swap and 12AU7's in the v1/2 positions. I fell in love with the qualities you cited in the Roland but, having grown accustomed to the DRRI, I find myself constantly wanting more of what drew me to the Fender to begin with when I play with it for any extended period.

Thanks for the suggestions about the pedal trick everybody. I have an EQ pedal and a couple OD pedals to try but haven't had the opportunity as they're loaned out.

User Info Menu

Personal Update

Turning the bass/treble all the way down and using the mid control to dial in tone is not a feasible workaround here. The eq is definitely flat at any level provided all three knobs are at the same position and thus renders this approach moot. Unfortunately, I've had the best results incorporating the guitar's tone knob which I have never really done- I usually keep that all the way open to get the most output from my pu and use the amp in question to shape the tone. I do have a couple pedals I am going to try and see if they have much impact.

The problem seems to be isolated to the unwound strings. I can choose between mud city or unrelentingly chimey. Neither is particularly nice sounding, relative to other amps I've used.

User Info Menu

I've used a JC55 for years. It's as loud as I care to play and weighs 26 lbs. Back then, that was harder to beat. It was my main amp before I got a Little Jazz and after I gave up trying to lift my Boogie.

I can get a decent sound from it, but warmth is not its strong suit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BiscoDrew
    Personal Update

Turning the bass/treble all the way down and using the mid control to dial in tone is not a feasible workaround here.
    That method works because in analog tone stack circuits, additional gain is used for insertion loss recovery.

JC-40 is a digital signal processing (DSP) amp; input analog signal level is slightly boosted before analog conversion to digital. DSP is applied for tone, gain, and effects. With DSP there is no "insertion loss" and the old analog tone trick based on it is gone.

User Info Menu

I used JC-77 and JC-120-great amps for jazz guitarists...warm and big headroom,

User Info Menu

Good to know! I didn't think to make a distinction between analog and digital amps. I'm sorry the trick was of no use to the OP, but hopefully it can bail out some folk stuck with older JC models...

PK