The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Looking to size up a bit from my midget guitar. Like the short scales I've been using until we get up near the 12th fret and my fingers get jammed. Probably should look in the 24+ range scale length, but not at the moment.

Curious whether anyone can speak to the "sound" difference. I "know" the FV's are after the gypsy sort of (what to me sounds like) "raspiness", but what I think I'm after is a lively top in a jazz box. Maybe the AR610/805 types would do that better? Mostly played electric, but nice to have an acoustic presence when desired. Thoughts or experience? I've been able to listen separately but not side by side. Fairly... this is a slow moving project... and I see no rush in it. I have a decent guitar on hand, and this is an eventual but not immediate step.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi there

I can’t speak to the AR models

But I am very very happy Vignola owner (FV680)

I think it would fit the bill v.nicely for what you’re after

I can’t say that I experience as particular ‘gypsy’. The tone is neither dry nor raspy. The aesthetic is there, of course

But it’s a very versatile guitar that will do a fair approximation if needed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EvansDrD
    Hi there

I can’t speak to the AR models

But I am very very happy Vignola owner (FV680)

I think it would fit the bill v.nicely for what you’re after

I can’t say that I experience as particular ‘gypsy’. The tone is neither dry nor raspy. The aesthetic is there, of course

But it’s a very versatile guitar that will do a fair approximation if needed
    I very much agree with this assessment. While the FV may look the part, it does not sound at all like a Selmac, and that makes sense given that the construction, scale, and strings are much different. I have not played the Eastman, but did play Frank's personal guitar, and it was as nice an archtop as there could be. Considering how well Eastman makes archtops, I think you would be very happy with the guitar.

That all being said, I did own a 7-string 805, and I really liked it. I also had what I believe is a 605, and that too was really nice. But the smaller size on the FV is a winner to me. If I ever want to play an archtop again, it will probably result in me buying one of the Vignola models.
    Last edited by JSanta; 09-14-2022 at 04:50 PM.

User Info Menu

P.s. forgive typos etc. tapping on smartphone and multi-tasking

+1 on the above re: size of the Vignola. It’s very comfortable

Access to higher frets is very good to boot

User Info Menu

I only have, and still own, the AR610. The guitar is everything I’ve ever desired in an acoustic electric. In fact, the guitar does everything extremely well. I bought it for $1500 three months back. It’s the end of my acoustic guitar search. It’s acoustic voice is exceptionally loud, even while I don’t play with a pick. While electronically it’s got an exceptional voice. I’m telling you that Eastman got this one right. Good luck!

Eastmans: AR610/805 equivalent type vs. FV680/880-d6af786a-4c99-4f38-9ac7-8f7f99b83589-jpegEastmans: AR610/805 equivalent type vs. FV680/880-9bb474d8-ffc2-42fe-a1af-ea2d57f0ffdf-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I only have, and still own, the AR610. The guitar is everything I’ve ever desired in an acoustic electric. In fact, the guitar does everything extremely well. I bought it for $1500 three months back. It’s the end of my acoustic guitar search. It’s acoustic voice is exceptionally loud, even while I don’t play with a pick. While electronically it’s got an exceptional voice. I’m telling you that Eastman got this one right. Good luck!
    The part in bold perfectly describes my Eastman FV-880 (Frank Vignola model) as well, and I suspect it very well could nicely describes other Eastman archtops too.

My other archtop is a Gibson Citation and despite having that instrument, the Eastman is still a keeper in my opinion.

Tony

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Much appreciated. In the end, the "solution" will likely be a trip to play these somewhere to understand more of the differences. Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    IWhile the FV may look the part, it does not sound at all like a Selmac
    It also does not look at all like a Selmac or any other gypsy guitar I know of. (Then again, I'd never heard about American gypsies either )

You're aware that you're comparing a 17" hog-backed AR610 with a 16" maple-backed AR805? Or were you defining a spectrum where the former would give the bassier/boomier/warmer extreme and the latter the clearer/brighter end of the scale?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB;[URL="tel:1220645"
    1220645[/URL]]It also does not look at all like a Selmac or any other gypsy guitar I know of. (Then again, I'd never heard about American gypsies either )
    They are called ‘wooks’, and they follow Jambands around the country. Also ‘gutter-punks’ are a group of nomadic like folks that travel around the country hoping rides on trains (like the hobo days)

We have ‘Gypsies’ in the States, though I believe that word is no longer PC. The thing is, our nomads don’t DO anything. They have a culture ‘sort of’ but they aren’t creating art, music, or culture, they just kind of sponge off of it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hartguitars
    The thing is, our nomads don’t DO anything.
    Don't feel left out, most of ours (those who are actual nomads) are exactly the same - unless you count turning their camping grounds into dumps, tune and sell old cars (probably best not ask where those come from) and probably a couple of other things I'm not aware of. I think most would happily let their caravans grow roots and stop nomading around if townships let them.

There may be a few actual artists among them but I bet most of those have given up the nomad life long ago.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Hartguitars;1267500]They are called ‘wooks’, and they follow Jambands around the country. Also ‘gutter-punks’ are a group of nomadic like folks that travel around the country hoping rides on trains (like the hobo days)

We have ‘Gypsies’ in the States, though I believe that word is no longer PC. The thing is, our nomads don’t DO anything. They have a culture ‘sort of’ but they aren’t creating art, music, or culture, they just kind of sponge off of it.[/QUOTE

Full time vanlifers we also call them in North America.