The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I recently had the fortune to visit Florence, and among so many other places I went to see Michelangelo's David at the Accademia Gallery.

In the very same museum, literally just two rooms away, I've spotted this viola and violin:
    (both had spruce top and maple back)

Viola tenore del Quintetto "Mediceo",1690
    Antonio Stradivari (Cremona 1645 ca-1737)

What a wood, what a work...-1-jpg

What a wood, what a work...-2-jpg

Violino, 1716
    Antonio Stradivari (Cremona 1645 ca 1737)

What a wood, what a work...-4-jpg

What a wood, what a work...-5-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Road-worn

User Info Menu

and then you have people marketing guitars from the 90s as "vintage"

User Info Menu

I'm very skeptical that the guitars we have today (and yesterday/our vintage stuff) will hold up as nicely as these violins. That type of instrument is quite a lot sturdier and easier to maintain than most acoustic guitars. The short neck with the thick fingerboard is unlikely to warp or twist so much to be deemed unrepairable, the top and back are one-piece affairs so no glue-line will separate , the pull of the strings is much lower, etc. Only those guitars will last longer that are kept in climate-controlled environments, all pampered and rescued from the stages before any major damage has occured... sadly these museum-kept instruments - when they are not played regularly and vigorously- have lost their tonal magic and we must make do with their sheer physical presence and the IDEA what sounds they used to emit.

User Info Menu

...regarding the size difference between archtops and violin... there were cellos too what actually are bigger than an archtops. The cellos top were also the finest spruce.

User Info Menu

are there any prices for these instruments?

User Info Menu

no.

the Mediceo has been in the Gibson Montana workshop in the late sixties, it has been re-topped,

and has period correct tuners and tail piece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    no.

the Mediceo has been in the Gibson Montana workshop in the late sixties, it has been re-topped,

and has period correct tuners and tail piece.
    what does it mean "re-topped". Is its top completly replaced?

...btw wikipedia website of the instrument does not mention that, it is true it does ot mention restoration at all...
    Medici tenor viola - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

I am only kidding of course, I am sorry.

User Info Menu

Oh :-)

User Info Menu

How is it with classical guitars ...?
    the older the worse?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    How is it with classical guitars ...?
    the older the worse?
    The string-pull on classical guitars is lower than that on a steelstring flattop of course but since the tops are also thinner it has it's toll : warped tops > unplayable string-action. You would have a very hard time finding a really playable classical guitar
    that's much older than say 100 years - one that has not undergone major repair/surgery/modification. These instruments have a restricted life-span in which they can produce their best tone and by virtue of this aim for the best sound are very delicate and fragile.

User Info Menu

my favorite antique classical on youtube is this 1892 Antonio Torres gutiar from Charles Trepat.

great video, that I have listened to a lot:

User Info Menu

How about this : it’s from 1829!!!!!!

User Info Menu

^^ that is one sweet guitar.

sound is best described as haunting.