The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Struggling a little with fingerstyle on the narrow spacing. I haven't played much guitar in the last couple years either...

(Not sure why the original posting was deleted)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The perfect electric jazz guitar sound. I like your less-notey fingerstyle lines. I can hear your ideas better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    The perfect electric jazz guitar sound. I like your less-notey fingerstyle lines. I can hear your ideas better.
    If you mean when I'm playing faster, they are not articulating? - It's because i've been practicing for almost 2 years on bass so i'm trying to apply the fingerstyle technique I developed there to this teeny little instrument with the strings almost on top of each other.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    If you mean when I'm playing faster, they are not articulating? - It's because i've been practicing for almost 2 years on bass so i'm trying to apply the fingerstyle technique I developed there to this teeny little instrument with the strings almost on top of each other.
    I meant compared to your pick style. Not a criticism. I think I enjoyed the fingerstyle pacing a bit more this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I meant compared to your pick style. Not a criticism. I think I enjoyed the fingerstyle pacing a bit more this time.
    Thanks. A criticism would be ok though. One reason I think the fingerstyle sounds better is that my time is better with fingerstyle. When I had my spinal injury in 2002, it left me with permanent nerve damage to my right bicep and i've never been able to hold the pick firmly so it wiggles around. But for some reason, that muscle doesn't seem to be affected when playing with fingers so I feel better about the note placement. I can actually play some stuff with my fingers that I haven't been able to play in 20 years due to nerve thing...

User Info Menu

More, more!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    More, more!
    Will do. I actually practiced guitar for 2 hours this morning. I haven't practiced anything but bass for so long...Don't want to lose my bass skills though

User Info Menu

Sweet, sweet tone and swingin' chops. Sounds like jazz to me!

User Info Menu

Warms my heart to see Jack playing guitar again! Did I detect a smile on his face? :-)

User Info Menu

That's good stuff Jack. A lovely sound.

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Warms my heart to see Jack playing guitar again! Did I detect a smile on his face? :-)
    Probably a smirk because i messed something up, lol.

Thanks for the kind words! Means a lot.

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing and guitar. Yes, it blows my mind when I pick up a guitar after playing my Fender bass.

User Info Menu

Sounds great, Jack! Wonderful playing, wonderful tone!

User Info Menu

Very nice, Jack. It’s a bit of a new approach for you.

Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeko
    Beautiful playing and guitar. Yes, it blows my mind when I pick up a guitar after playing my Fender bass.
    in this case, it's been about 20 months of playing nothing but bass!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker;[URL="tel:1218735"
    1218735[/URL]]Struggling a little with fingerstyle on the narrow spacing.
    Struggling? A rare opportunity to hear a monster struggle a bit. It only happens when they try something totally new. It’s both instructive and inspiring.

User Info Menu

Will do. I actually practiced guitar for 2 hours this morning. I haven't practiced anything but bass for so long...Don't want to lose my bass skills though
    Do you practice reading bass clef, or just playing without music? When I'm doing a show on bass I don't touch a guitar and live strictly in bass clef for a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Do you practice reading bass clef, or just playing without music? When I'm doing a show on bass I don't touch a guitar and live strictly in bass clef for a month or so.
    I need to do that but sadly, I do not. I went through a few months reading on bass but did not keep it up.

User Info Menu

I need to do that but sadly, I do not. I went through a few months reading on bass but did not keep it up.
    It's a pretty cool process, at first you have to mentally transpose one line/space for every note, but after a week or so it becomes 2nd nature without thinking about it, just like reading treble. But even after a few weeks the higher ledger lines can surprise you. I never work on both at the same time, I always give it a week or so to transition, both ways.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    It's a pretty cool process, at first you have to mentally transpose one line/space for every note, but after a week or so it becomes 2nd nature without thinking about it, just like reading treble. But even after a few weeks the higher ledger lines can surprise you. I never work on both at the same time, I always give it a week or so to transition, both ways.
    It always amazes me that piano players can read both clefs at the same time .

Treble clef is easy for me. Bass clef is always a bit of a transposition.

User Info Menu

Sounds very relaxed and musical Jack Z!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    It always amazes me that piano players can read both clefs at the same time .

Treble clef is easy for me. Bass clef is always a bit of a transposition.
    Like anything else, we become what we practice. With time playing separate clefs becomes 2nd nature.

User Info Menu

Jack,

Beautiful finger style playing! So have you become inspired to explore fingerstyle electric after checking out Mateo Mancuso?

I agree about the difficulty switching between bass and guitar. That’s why, for me, playing a Gibson has never been an option. Between the shorter scale and a 1.68 nut it’s just not ergonomic, at least not for my hands. Besides some custom instruments I play Eastmans which have a slightly longer scale and, for the most part, 1.75 nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustic
    Jack,

Beautiful finger style playing! So have you become inspired to explore fingerstyle electric after checking out Mateo Mancuso?

I agree about the difficulty switching between bass and guitar. That’s why, for me, playing a Gibson has never been an option. Between the shorter scale and a 1.68 nut it’s just not ergonomic, at least not for my hands. Besides some custom instruments I play Eastmans which have a slightly longer scale and, for the most part, 1.75 nuts.
    No, I love mateo but i switched to bass almost exclusively after my dad passed in jan, 2021 (he was a bassist). I only recently started playing guitar again and found that I have no pick chops so I'm using the same techniques I use on bass The eastmans don't help me because it's not the nut width that is the important thing for me, it's the string spacing at the bridge and eastman uses the same spacing as gibson there. What I would need is a guitar with 14-16mm spacing at the bridge but even with that, the thinner strings make it way harder to articulate with bare fingers. Not 100% sure but I believe Mateo uses nails. Nails also make it easier to use narrow spacing...

User Info Menu

I also play a lot by right hand fingers on hollowbody but sometimes I go back to the pick.
    The articulation by pick seems to be more obvious and precise.I only play guitars with nylons with my fingers/rh/.