The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Curious about the Eastman FB680CE. This follows my earlier inquiry on Heritage guitars. So that's to put it into the context that I'm just enjoying my current axe and improving my techniques (yes all of them need work), but got an eye out for another e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-y. This Frank Vignola 16-inch catches my eye. Top seems to follow the Ken Parker idea that allowing more of the top to resonate without F-holes is good for the acoustic performance (his current m.o.). These don't seem to be all that common, and getting one's hands on a new or used one to sample, kind of tough without a firm order or a bit of travel. So it's in this spirit that I'm curious what your experience as a player of this model both plugged in and "plugged out" (unplugged), and whether there's any relative advantage to the sound ports as you've found them from your playing (relative to other tops) or whatever else you can tell me. If you have multiple instruments as many do, why and when do you pick this one up to play?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have one of these and I absolutely love it

The build quality is exceptional and it is a joy to play. Very comfortable.

I would describe it as a real Swiss Army knife of a guitar. It’s very lively and responsive but rolling back the tone and volume warms it up really nicely

It covers a wide range of sounds and styles

It shines when plugged in and I like hearing a mix of the amplified and acoustic tone

Unplugged is ok. It has a nice tone and is loud enough for bedroom use (and the sound port probably helps here), but it wouldn’t work in a live or ensemble setting

In short: this model rekindled my love of jazz, the guitar, and for jazz guitar

it’s the only archtop I currently own, having previously owned and very recently sold some more ‘desirable’ ones (Gibson, Slaman). This is a matter of taste, of course, and YMMV

There are some vids of our very own Doug Martin tearing it up on one of these. I’d say these vids capture its tone and range. Alas, the guitar doesn’t help one in playing as well as Doug

weaknesses - the finish could be nicer, as could the tailpiece (it’s metal with a wooden cover). I’d have preferred a black Kent Armstrong pup to a gold Lollar one (again - a matter of taste). The vol and tone pots would benefit from an upgrade for better control.

User Info Menu

Mine is the FV-880CE-sb. If I understand correctly, the primary difference between the 680 and 880 is that the 680 has mahogany back and sides, while the 880 has maple, and both (?) have spruce tops.

I got mine just a month or so ago and then two weeks later, got a 1995 Gibson Citation, the finest archtop I have ever played.

I agree with what EvansDrD says about the Eastman, but mine seems to have a lively acoustic only sound. Maybe that is the maple compared to mahogany? I do agree that the acoustic volume is fine for playing at home, but you would want to amplify to play out.

To me, the pickup can sound nice and warm and I would not consider changing it for something else. I play it through my AER Comapct 60, if that makes any difference.

To me, the Eastman FV-xxx is different enough from a traditional archtop that they can co-exist in my collection without my feeling they are redundant. From what I read, Frank Vignola's gypsy jazz involvement was a very real influence on the design of this guitar. Though I am not at all involved in gypsy jazz, what I have listened to sounds more like these Eastmans than like a more traditional archtop such as my Citation.

These Eastmans are quite comfortable to play and the wider string spacing is certainly welcome for a more fingerstyle approach. As for the quality, I again agree with Evans DrD and therefore don't need to repeat what he said. I can say that if the OP buys one of these (whether 680 or 880), consider it a keeper.

Edit: Here is a review of the FV-680 from Rich Severson:

Tony
    Last edited by tbeltrans; 09-02-2022 at 06:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Still thinking this thing through and wonder whether you guys have sampled the FV model as well as these other two. I think I'm fine with depth and smaller bouts, but wonder about the liveliness of the tops. All 3 of these seem to fit that mode. Thoughts? Ear experience? Many thanks.

User Info Menu

Just received a used 22 FV680. The top is quite lively, it has a great acoustic tone. Fairly bright, but it works well for bedroom practice. Additionally, I like the brightness of the acoustic tone blended with the pickup rolled off a little. The acoustic tone cuts over the electric tone in a manner that is really pleasing to my ears. For reference, my only other archtop/hollowbodies are an early 90's Epi (Peerless) Joe Pass (laminate) and a mid 2000's Artinger Hollowbody (carved top and back HOG). This guitar is much more lively than either of those, but the electric tone can approximate both of those guitars. It's a winner. Keep your eyes on sales, I purchased mine for just under $2k.