The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Does anyone have any advice on amp set up on my vibrato channel (treble bass reverb speed intensity) for my Fender 65' deluxe reverb reissue so that i may get the best Jazz sound out of it. or setting for the normal channel. Also im using a 2009 fender telecaster highway one with joe barden pickups. are these good pickups? the guitar was my graduation present so i didnt pick it out... not the specs any how. i wanted a tele but didnt make any other specific requests.. but anyhow any info would be appreciated

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

JazzOmaha? Is that Omaha Nebraska by chance?

Anyway, as far as setting up the tones on you're amp, it's very much up to finding a sound you like. But often times jazz guitarists use effects (vibrato, chorus, reverb, tremolo) VERY sparingly. Try to keep it simple and clean and let the tone come from you.

The Joe Barden pickups in your guitar are very well liked by many players, but I don't see them used by jazz players as often as blues or rock players. That's not to say they're not good for jazz, just not as common a choice.

User Info Menu

Start with clean tone, #1 input on the Vibrato channel, Volume at 3

Treble & Bass at 5, Reverb at about 2, Speed 0, Intensity 0

Then select the front pu and try these guitar settings:

1) Volume 7, Tone 3
    2) Volume 10, Tone 3
    3) Volume 7, Tone 10
    4) Volume 10, Tone 10

Get in your head how that has changed the tone, decide which one you like the best. Then experiment with other settings, especially try all the tone settings from zero to 10 on the guitar.

Then listen to an artist that has a clean tone that you really like and see how close you can get to his tone by just playing with the guitar settings (leave the amp alone for now). Then try another artist.

That's a start. Once you've experimented with the guitar and start to have a feel for it's different sounds then start messing with the bass and treble on the amp to learn those controls.

And feel free to play around with the reverb, that ones easier to get a feel for.
    Last edited by fep; 04-16-2010 at 12:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Tele: neck pickup, roll off half the tone and a bit of volume.

DRRI: I'd start with it flat and see what it sounded like. The Deluxe can be a rather bright sounding amp; a common mod is to cut the bright cap, or install a bright switch.

User Info Menu

Deluxe Reverbs can get pretty bright. I've heard that the vibrato channel also activates the bright switch, so either don't use that channel or turn the treble down more than you think. Honestly, you could probably set the amp fairly flat, maybe have the bass bumped a little (6 or 6 1/2) and the treble backed down a little (maybe 4 or so). You'll probably get a lot closer by rolling the tone and volume back on your guitar, especially the volume. Not too much, maybe just down to 7 to start off with.

User Info Menu

Hey, hey, we all descend at once!

User Info Menu

Yep, you two are twin sons of different mothers (should have capitalized for Fogelberg/Weissberg fans).

User Info Menu

Ya know, Randy, I didn't pay enough attention when me and BDLH's posts hit at the same time, but we really did say pretty much the same thing!

User Info Menu

Barden neck pickup is excellent for jazz = just roll the tone back about a quarter of a turn. DRRI will be fine if you have it modded to be able to turn the always-on bright switch off. Then you should be good to go. Do I hear an echo, here?

User Info Menu

YES it i omaha nebraska why? and im off to experiment. Thanks! one last question... what is this "bright switch" i don know a whole lot about the tech side of things

User Info Menu

If you are playing live in Omaha, let me know where and I'll look for you after I move there in July!

User Info Menu

Ah, many Fender amps have a 'bright' switch which inserts a capacitor into the signal path. The DRRI has this in the permanently 'on' mode without a way to switch it off. So, you can either remove it (cut the cap) or install a switch to turn it on or off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Do I hear an echo, here?
    Yes you do. I think it is due to that damned bright DRRI.

User Info Menu

Oh, I thought it was because the reverb was cranked

User Info Menu

okay maybe i can have the place i purchased the amp modify this for me. its that same place i purchased my guitar across the river in council bluffs. i recently found out john mayer bought his signiture guitar there. (roses and stuff on it) its an amazing strat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazz omaha
    okay maybe i can have the place i purchased the amp modify this for me. its that same place i purchased my guitar across the river in council bluffs. i recently found out john mayer bought his signiture guitar there. (roses and stuff on it) its an amazing strat.
    Was it Lidgett Music? I love that store, nice bunch of guys. I go there everytime I get to Omaha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by derek
    Was it Lidgett Music? I love that store, nice bunch of guys. I go there everytime I get to Omaha.
    yes it was =) theyre great and the gave my parents a good deal on my guitar and sold me my DRRI for 800 dollars new

User Info Menu

i have a fender blues junior i play a tele california through it i back off the treble middle and bass to zero then put the tone on the guiter on three and use the neck pickup am i mad or does anyone else do this with their amp signed ginger ptang ptang olay biscuit barrell smith