The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here after reading on this forums for years!

I am in the process of buying a 1965 Epiphone Howard Roberts near where I live. It is in very good condition, except for a weird dent in it, on the top at the left bass edge.... it is quite big and it does seem like a hole. It has been repaired with some kind of glue or resin (varnish maybe?) and it's hard to see exactly what it is... Price is ok, 3000$.

I'm really into the HR model, and this one is really nice. But this thing turned me off a bit... I didn't see it at first on the photos, but in person, it turned me off just a little. Not because of the esthetic side of it, but more in terms of value (eventual resale), tone, weakness in the top...

I just don't know what to do. Should I by it anyway? Is this a big deal? Should I ask for a much lower price?

Here are some pics:

Epiphone Howard Roberts 1965 question-aa26b4bb-6f78-4a71-a9de-7be0da9bcb14-jpg

Thanks!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Any advice on this?

User Info Menu

This guitar is the standard HR model of that year. Few of these were made. They can be wonderful instruments.

My advice depends on what your priorities are and your purchase situation is. The dent does affect resale value because most purchasers look for these 1960s Epiphones as collectibles. So I'd put that into the equation. The next issue is the extent of the damage. You can put your cell phone into the oval hole or use a scope to investigate any internal damage. If none, the dent is not that big a deal, especially if you are looking for a player.

The Epi 1960s I've played have all been very good guitars.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply! It is definitely a player for me, but resale is always in the equation...

About the pricing, I saw that it is over the Guitar Blue Book evaluation... do you think 3000$ is a fair price for a guitar in this condition?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Map0Spread
    Thanks for the reply! It is definitely a player for me, but resale is always in the equation...

About the pricing, I saw that it is over the Guitar Blue Book evaluation... do you think 3000$ is a fair price for a guitar in this condition?
    The blue book values seem pretty far off from the current market from what I’ve seen. Check out the Reverb price guide (Epiphone Howard Roberts 1968 Sunburst Price Guide | Reverb), as well as Reverb and eBay sold listings for more reference points.

That’s a fairly rare guitar, so it’s hard to judge prices, but I think it’s worth offering the seller less, or at least asking if he’ll come down, if you really like the guitar. That repair is in a spot where it probably won’t affect the guitar’s integrity or sound, but it doesn’t look very well executed. So it should be priced at the low end of the market.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply.

He asked 3500$ first, then my offer at 3000$ was accepted... but that before I drove there and saw the dent in person. Kinda hard to lower it more now....

User Info Menu

price is fine even w/the damage.
    is the nut width 1 11/16" or narrower?
    '65 is the transition year to narrower.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply.

He asked 3500$ first, then my offer at 3000$ was accepted... but that before I drove there and saw the dent in person. Kinda hard to lower it more now....
    it doesn't have to be. "Hey, man, that gouge in the top was not evident in the photos and I didn't know it was there until I saw the guitar in person. I'd like to revise my offer to $2800." Or something like that.

User Info Menu

Yes, simply be open and honest about your true feelings. If he’s married to the guitar and would rather sit and wait for another buyer to come along he’ll perhaps pass on your amended offer.

But he’s got to know that your original offer was before you actually saw the guitar. Remind him of that.

User Info Menu

I have seen a couple of those for sale here in Canada for around that price. There is a ‘67 listed here in Toronto for $3795 CDN which is about $2900 USD. It doesn’t appear to have any issues and has been listed for a long time. Capsule Music
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I have seen a couple of those for sale here in Canada for around that price. There is a ‘67 listed here in Toronto for $3795 CDN which is about $2900 USD. It doesn’t appear to have any issues and has been listed for a long time. Capsule Music
    Keith
    That one has a narrow nut width

User Info Menu

It's narrower, but still wider than my '78 X-500.

User Info Menu

Is the price still ok with the narrow nut?

User Info Menu

Oh yeah I saw that one at Capsule music first! Not as nice as the other, specially around the headstock, but other than that no issues and it has a refret.

User Info Menu

Is the price still ok with the narrow nut?
    About right if all else checks out ok

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    That one has a narrow nut width
    Oh yes, I didn’t think about that. That would reduce the value a bit.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I don't know your entire situation and why you want a Howard Roberts. One strategy to consider if distance isn't an issue is to visit the seller and try the instrument and then think about it.

I am a big fan of the HR. I like the sound while practicing without an amp. I don't really notice a lot of difference between a traditional archtop and the HR with amplification. I've had an Epi spruce top and now a Gibson laminate top. They do feedback like any archtop with a floater.

I would do an internal checkup and play it for a few minutes to get a sense of the feel of it. Then tell the seller you need to think about it for a day and leave.

If you really like it, you will like it the next day. If you like it, an extra few hundred won't matter over a period of 10 years. If you plan on flipping it, you may take a financial hit at that price.

When I get a guitar from someone who is in easy travel distance, I try it first and leave. I can think more clearly out of the seller's environment. Doing this, I have had some experiences where the seller will drop the price on the spot just to get the hassle of selling over with. That may help the decision know you can sell it later easier if it doesn't work out in the long run.

Lastly, I do believe in the golden rule of being the sort of prospective buyer that I would want to deal with. You should want both parties to be happy.

User Info Menu

Sometimes a guy just can't walk away! You know what I mean.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

I'm interested in the HR for a couple reasons... When I was younger, I saw Gilad Hekselman in a small club with his Gibson HR, and it just blew me away, for both the looks and the tone. I've wanted one forever, even though I never tried one before this one.

I also have a semi-hollow, a laminate with set in pickups, couple solid body... I really dig the tone of an archtop with a floater. So I was naturally led towards the HR, specially the Epiphone for its carved top.

Tried this one, really loved the tone, but the setup wasn't for me... action a bit high, flat wounds... I think my guitar tech could set it up great, no signs of structural damage, neck reset or anything. But the tone was awesome in my 65' Princeton.

Not planning on flipping it... but resale is always a thing, specially if the magic doesn't happen after a couple months.

Your opinion is very valuable, I also think they're awesome!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

My rule of thumb is if I am paying 4 figures for a guitar, I want a no excuses one. Wait for a clean one.

Admittedly I break this rule all the time.

User Info Menu

Wait for a clean one. That gouge in the top bothers me. My own valuation of this guitar with the gouge in the top is $1200. The market is unkind.

I own a 1965 Epiphone Howard Roberts Custom.

User Info Menu

The Epiphone Howard Roberts bought at Silver&Horland, NYC, in august 1980
    Epiphone Howard Roberts 1965 question-epi-howard-roberts-jpg
    I still have a copy of the invoice : $700 (not so cheap, inflation calculator says a bit over $ 2500 today)
    It is a digitized slide but you can see a ding near the bass side of the tailpiece .
    At the same time I had a Johnny Smith with the same kind of PU . Sold the Smith but kept the HR as I preferred its sound . The only reason for letting it go was that a mate proposed a swap with an ES150CC otherwise perhaps I'd still have it. These Epi HR are geat !

User Info Menu

Bothers me too, but they are so rare and this one's got the 1 11/16 nut width, or very close at least... I missed a super clean one a month ago on Reverb, that sucks.

I'm thinking of getting an Elferink built for me too, these are awesome.

User Info Menu

I just pulled the trigger on a 1967 blonde Epi HR that has been on Reverb for about a year. It has a couple cosmetic issues such as a repaired crack on the top and a worn place on the back from some rodeo buckle or something. The seller generously accepted my offer. It has an 1 11/16" nut. Did any of the early Epi's have the skinny neck? I'm not so sure. I've had a Gibson HR Artist and a Gibson HR Custom from the mid '70's. The Artist was stolen and I sold the Custom which I now regret. I've always wanted to have an early Epi HR. I will post a NGD soon! Can't wait for it to arrive.
    Ted
    Epiphone Howard Roberts 1965 question-c7ad1667-3d08-4b1b-9d33-dad6a27a87dd-jpeg