The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Wow, very nice one! I had seen it on the seller's website, but the price and the conversion to Canadian dollar was really bad for me... I would've bought it though.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    it doesn't have to be. "Hey, man, that gouge in the top was not evident in the photos and I didn't know it was there until I saw the guitar in person. I'd like to revise my offer to $2800." Or something like that.

I agree completely. I see only about 2 reasons you may absolutely have to take it:
    1. You've given him money, even * after seeing it *....
    2. The seller is a good friend...

Then if he's a friend, he'll understand, and you can look him in the eye and try to help etc,

But if he isn't a friend and he doesn't have any of your money, say good-bye, with something like :
    " I am genuinely sorry but I cannot ' un-see that gouge '. "
    " And, I'll never be able to look at it again, and not ' see that gouge '.

And unless he has a gun to your head, if you want out, you get out.

Good luck and I know how you feel !

MHO of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Map0Spread
    Bothers me too, but they are so rare and this one's got the 1 11/16 nut width, or very close at least... I missed a super clean one a month ago on Reverb, that sucks.

I'm thinking of getting an Elferink built for me too, these are awesome.

That may be the best solution for a lot of reasons these days !!

MHO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    I just pulled the trigger on a 1967 blonde Epi HR that has been on Reverb for about a year. It has a couple cosmetic issues such as a repaired crack on the top and a worn place on the back from some rodeo buckle or something. The seller generously accepted my offer. It has an 1 11/16" nut. Did any of the early Epi's have the skinny neck? I'm not so sure. I've had a Gibson HR Artist and a Gibson HR Custom from the mid '70's. The Artist was stolen and I sold the Custom which I now regret. I've always wanted to have an early Epi HR. I will post a NGD soon! Can't wait for it to arrive.
    Ted
    Attachment 94865

Very nice guitar !
    Mine had a number 09xxxx usualy considered to be 1967. The neck width at nut was around 42,5 mm.
    Hope you enjoy it as I did !

User Info Menu

may I ask what you paid for that natural Howard Roberts? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTWolfe
    may I ask what you paid for that natural Howard Roberts? Thanks!
    I PM'd you.

User Info Menu

I don't understand why the HR design hasn't taken up a larger share of the archtop market. The differences in sound between the f holed and round holed versions diminishes quite a bit when amplified. The acoustic sound is quite pleasing and does contrast with the traditional top.
    Last edited by Marty Grass; 10-28-2022 at 05:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Howard Alden got one of that design from Bob Benedetto long ago, and I've liked his tone with it. I don't think he's still playing it much, probably no longer in perfect shape. The tone is somewhat brighter than many other players, and it's easy to tell the difference when listening to recordings of Howard and Jimmy Bruno together, both with 7-string Benedettos. That may not be entirely due to the design, though; the fingers do make a difference, as do volume and tone settings on the guitars and the amps. The big hole does make it more difficult to mount a pickup, though, and it's impossible to install an inset humbucker. That may put some people off.