The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Decided to buy this guitar yesterday and started phoning around . I phoned one music store and they had just got two A150s in yesterday morning. Apparently, the store owner, Glenn was told by the Guild rep that there would be no more of this model for a year! So I thought about it for 20 minutes, then phoned him back. As luck would have it, Glenn was going fishing 2 miles from my place and said he would drop off the guitar at my house. Within 1/2 an hour I had my new baby!:-)

Guild A150 Savoy-150-savoy-blonde_detail2-705x529-jpg

Solid spruce top, laminated maple sides and back, DeArmond 1000 Rhythm Chief pickup, ebony finger board, 17" lower bout, 3" thick body, etc...

Thanks again Glenn.

Doug

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Guilds are groovy! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Can’t beat a carved archtop with a floating dearmond! What value volume pot does it have? The vintage ones have 1meg, which I think contributes to the sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Can’t beat a carved archtop with a floating dearmond!
    Ain't THAT the truth!

What value volume pot does it have? The vintage ones have 1meg, which I think contributes to the sound.
    500k volume and tone pots:

A-150 Savoy in Blonde | Guild Guitars

I might try 1 meg after a while, just to see if I can hear the difference.

Right now I'm giving the guitar a lemon oil bath after working on Blue Monk.

Doug

User Info Menu

Sweet! I've always been curious about the A150. I chose the X175 8 or 9 yrs ago and it's a really nice guitar!

User Info Menu

Since joining this forum I have gone through a half dozen archtops. I started out with a Chinese made Hagstrom. Moved on to a Korean made Peerless. Moved on to a couple of Gibsons that I am keeping. Also got the Korean made Guild A-150 used, but mint for a great price. I love the Guild. The build quality is outstanding as well as are the specs. I kinda feel like I should let it go because my Gibson 165 HE BJB makes the Guild redundant but I just can't bring myself to do it. Punches way above its weight IMHO.

BTW, the Guild has a pressed spruce top, not carved. Still great though.

User Info Menu

Guild A150 Savoy-burst5_zps5e85a58c-jpg

Though I've a different model, Savoy X-150 all maple laminate, I vouch for the Guilds. When Bill Fender had his Guitar shop not far from me, Legato Guitars, he hand deliverd this one to me where I was working at the time. Boy, did that cause a stir as everyone loved it.