The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can anyone tell me what model guitar this is. This is a pic from a youtube video of the late Scott Denett. The guitar he's playing appears to be a D'Angelico solid body but I've searched their website and cannot find anything that looks like it. It may be dicontinued or may be a custom guitar. I searched for some info on Scott to maybe get a gear run down and discovered that he unfortunately passed in October of 2020. He played it well, a real loss.
    Any ideas?

What model D'Angelico-scott-denetts-dangelico-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images What model D'Angelico-scott-denetts-dangelico-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a D'Angelico NYSD-9, from the Japanese-made Vestax era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    That's a D'Angelico NYSD-9, from the Japanese-made Vestax era.
    It's interesting the paucity of information about Vestax D'Angelicos. It's like there's no historical archive about guitars of that era, like they were wiped from the records when the company was restructured. I have an NYL7-W, a 17" 7 string with a solid top and wood tailpiece. It was given to me as a gift and to this day, I know nothing about the history of that guitar. Never even seen evidence that it was ever made.
    I guess it makes it even more precious.?

User Info Menu

Yup, David P is correct. Reminds me I must uncase my NYSD-9 and have a check on its sounds again.
    So many guitars and genre changes to explore is my
    quandary, and this week it is a new bass guitar and cabinet.

From an old D'Angelico Vestax catalog:

What model D'Angelico-img_2032-jpg

What model D'Angelico-img_2033-jpg

NYL7 in action:

Information from 2002:
    D'Angelico Guitars of America

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    From an old D'Angelico Vestax catalog:

Information from 2002:
    D'Angelico Guitars of America
    THANK YOU!!!! This is GREAT!
    And by the way, my 7 string a fantastic instrument!
    I now know the historical place it had in the old catalog. Thank you so much carlescountry!

Thanks David and others. Yes, digging into guitar history information is like an archiological dig. So much information gets buried.

Nice walking carlescountry.