The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

1989 Gibson L5 CES-dsc_0855-jpg1989 Gibson L5 CES-dsc_0856-jpg1989 Gibson L5 CES-dsc_0862-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow! That's what a buddy of mine used to call a real zipper-buster!

Congrats- now I'm lusting after an L5CES again!

User Info Menu

Congrats, enjoy that one

User Info Menu

Gorgeous! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

That top is perfect. Actually, the whole thing is. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Gibson L-5 Timeless Beauty! Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Spook410,
    Gorgeous - wishing you tons of enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Absolutely gorgeous ! A BIG Congrats.
    Gryphon is a stand up music store. I have dealt with them since the 1970’s. Not cheap but very honest store. Do enjoy.
    Glad it was a happy ending.

User Info Menu

Probably the best looking L5-CES I've seen... bet it plays and sounds great! Happy NGD!

User Info Menu

Good job spook it looks amazing you really can’t go wrong on this. Play it well!

User Info Menu

A blonde L-5CES is pretty much the top of the electric archtop food chain.

Great score!

User Info Menu

That nice tight grain on the spruce top! Just glorious, ain't it?

User Info Menu

Beautiful woods! Congratulations Spook!

User Info Menu

Congrats Spook! That is a beautiful instrument. Again, kudos on your patience taking care to let it acclimate.

Tony

User Info Menu

Whoa..
    that’s really beautiful. I’m Happy for you.
    Enjoy it and play the heck out of it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    JD

User Info Menu

Absolutely stunning looking guitar. Congratulations !!
    Love the flame maple back on yours. It lacks the pickguard and bracket. Maybe it was taken off right from the start or - like my own blonde L5CES - it gassed out and you have new PU covers and maybe also a toggle switch nut. They shine so nice now.
    Do you intend to reinstall the pickguard?

User Info Menu

Was the issue of out-gassing Gibson pickguards still occurring in the late '80's?

User Info Menu

yes, even later too

User Info Menu

My 97 L5 CES had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original pickguard was outgassing. They shipped it un-installed. I will be buying a new one. Looks like they run around $200. However, there also appears to be a shortage of proper pickguard material at the moment so not sure how that will go. Hate to spend $350 on one even if it is really well made.

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Absolutely gorgeous ! A BIG Congrats.
    Gryphon is a stand up music store. I have dealt with them since the 1970’s. Not cheap but very honest store. Do enjoy.
    Glad it was a happy ending.
    You know.. thing is.. they may not be cheap but lately the prices have been pretty competitive. I paid $4000 for a perfect L5 Studio burst just a little while back (thanks again for the PSA you provided.. great guitar). Since then I've seen two others: Solid green (not olive) for $6250 and solid brass color for $8000. Also there was kind of an awful looking one in poor condition with the faded blue burst (kinda like green pond scum.. not a good look) for $4250 but wasn't really viable. So, not that the sellers are getting their asking prices but it makes the $4K for mine look pretty reasonable. This 1989 L5CES was $7300. Seems high if you are used to $5K L5's but that's not what they cost any more. And you can't find one from this period in this condition even in the $8K to $9K range. Seems there aren't many on the market (and at 68 I've waited long enough). Not to mention new ones having a $15K price tag (and a rosewood board). $7300 is a lot of money for a guitar and it makes Campellone's look even better, but don't feel like it was priced too high especially given the diminished risk of a known seller.

So.. yes, they are the best seller I've ever done business with. Responsive to questions, quick shipping, best packing ever, and overall very nice to deal with. Thing is, I don't think they are all that expensive any more. Not that they came down.. the rest of the world went up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    You know.. thing is.. they may not be cheap but lately the prices have been pretty competitive. I paid $4000 for a perfect L5 Studio burst just a little while back (thanks again for the PSA you provided.. great guitar). Since then I've seen two others: Solid green (not olive) for $6250 and solid brass color for $8000. Also there was kind of an awful looking one in poor condition with the faded blue burst (kinda like green pond scum.. not a good look) for $4250 but wasn't really viable. So, not that the sellers are getting their asking prices but it makes the $4K for mine look pretty reasonable. This 1989 L5CES was $7300. Seems high if you are used to $5K L5's but that's not what they cost any more. And you can't find one from this period in this condition even in the $8K to $9K range. Seems there aren't many on the market (and at 68 I've waited long enough). Not to mention new ones having a $15K price tag (and a rosewood board). $7300 is a lot of money for a guitar and it makes Campellone's look even better, but don't feel like it was priced too high especially given the diminished risk of a known seller.

So.. yes, they are the best seller I've ever done business with. Responsive to questions, quick shipping, best packing ever, and overall very nice to deal with. Thing is, I don't think they are all that expensive any more. Not that they came down.. the rest of the world went up.
    Due to the free advertising that the online platforms provide (Ebay, Reverb and Craigslist among others), there are a lot of ads for guitars at absurd prices. I would say you made very fair deals at today's market prices. Looking backward at yesterday's prices is a fools errand. That ship has sailed. Your Gibson L-5's are "blue chip" investment grade archtop guitars and will always command attention and hold value. Congrats again Spook. You made a couple of wise buys and have a couple of great guitars to enjoy and inspire your playing.

User Info Menu

Congrats!

Don't let anybody drool on it.

Beautiful!

User Info Menu

Love the pink Chablis finish on your L-5CES. I think that was a proper 90s Gibson designation of the finish: Chablis.

You need a pickguard to dress her properly. And I love the maple: not quite curly, not quite plain but somewhere in between.

Be good to her. The price is right for this beauty!

User Info Menu

Actually Gryphons’s used prices are very fair. Almost all are consignment sales from a mostly rich clientele so the guitars are stellar. They charge a 25% consignment fee and won’t except anything with playability issues. They ship insured by Heritage so a no risk buy unlike Reverb or EBay. When I start downsizing I will use Gryphon.
    I sold a couple through them and they sold immediately.

On a side note prayers for Frank Ford (co-owner ).
    He had a bad stroke and now needs a walker and can no longer repair guitars.