The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Waiting on a UPS delivery. An L5 CES from Gryphon.

It's 95 degrees out. It's 5PM. I think I'm in line after the lemon squeezer from Amazon and the $3.95 tool set from Ebay.

Somewhere.. a guitar is melting. Thinking of an image by Mike McGlothlen.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fingers crossed for you!

User Info Menu

You'll be fine, just don't open the box in an air-conditioned room w out letting it acclimate first.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    You'll be fine, just don't open the box in an air-conditioned room w out letting it acclimate first.
    True. Going to put it in the cooler garage for an hour. Then in the cooler still house for an hour. Would like to open and check for damage but Gryphon packs their guitars exceptionally well so trying to avoid any new finish crazing is first choice.

User Info Menu

I would leave it overnight. You’d be surprised how well a cardboard box and guitar case can insulate

Should arrive tomorrow.. 106 outside and delivery in the heat of the day. Sigh. Going to let it acclimate as long as I can stand the wait. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Last edited by Spook410; 08-17-2022 at 02:29 AM.

User Info Menu

what I did in the past with not to extrem temperature differences:

I took the case out of the box and let it sat closed for 8-10 hours then.

opening the box will give good indication, about what is going on inside and how to proceed.

but one more thing: how many guitars do you already have ?

and how much more do you think you'll need ?

In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621

and how much more do you think you'll need ?

In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty.

Seriously?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Should arrive tomorrow.. 106 outside and delivery in the heat of the day. Sigh. Going to let it acclimate as long as I can stand the wait. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I would let it sit for a few hours, then open the box and leave it like that overnight, or take the case out and leave it like that overnight. At least. I know it's hard....

User Info Menu

I am going to go against all advice. Frankly if the guitar is well packed the guitar should not be anywhere near a hot temperature. Possibly as high as 80 degrees but even at 90 it would not fall apart. No cold weather to cause big change in temperatures as such so I don't see a problem. If the box is delivered and feels to be a reasonable temperature not burning hot from sitting in the sun or ice cold from sitting in front of some a/c unit it will be fine. I would open it up immediately and make a visual inspection and touch the guitar so to see the temp. Assuming nothing alarming I would string it up and start playing it.

The big problem is winter and drastic change. My guitars sit in my house and the temps can go as high as 86 degrees and I don't always run the a/c. I don't mind heat and they are fine. I think the overly care of not opening the guitar is just not warranted. My guess is the temp of the guitar inside the case has not change in any direction more than 10 degrees. This has zero effect on the guitar.

User Info Menu

^
    Respectfully disagree Mark.
    Going from a day of 106 temps (it'll be even hotter in a truck) to being immediately opened in an air-conditioned house is a severe change. It's not the same as a guitar just sitting in a house at 86 degree temp.
    Why risk it?

User Info Menu

I think in addition to finish damage, I'd be concerned about glue melting. Probably less of a concern on newer instruments but if we were talking about a 20's L5 I'd concerned about braces coming loose and things like that.

User Info Menu

^
    Respectfully disagree Mark.
    Going from a day of 106 temps (it'll be even hotter in a truck) to being immediately opened in an air-conditioned house is a severe change. It's not the same as a guitar just sitting in a house at 86 degree temp.
    Why risk it?
    Point taken certainly why risk it but I still disagree unless like I said the box feels very warm. I say with because I doubt the temps get through the box, packing material, and case to 106 degrees. In hot sun yes certainly. Also the meling point of hide glue it 145 and titebond is around 150. George I certainly will not fault your logic but I would check the surrounding out and proceed if things were otherwise ok. My concern is you take the guitar and not open it for a day and then when you do and somehow it is damaged? The best remedy for this and maybe the way to do it no matter what is to videotape the opening of the guitar and process.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Point taken certainly why risk it but I still disagree unless like I said the box feels very warm. I say with because I doubt the temps get through the box, packing material, and case to 106 degrees. In hot sun yes certainly. Also the meling point of hide glue it 145 and titebond is around 150. George I certainly will not fault your logic but I would check the surrounding out and proceed if things were otherwise ok. My concern is you take the guitar and not open it for a day and then when you do and somehow it is damaged? The best remedy for this and maybe the way to do it no matter what is to videotape the opening of the guitar and process.
    It depends on whether the box has been sitting in 100+ degree temps over a few days or it came from an a A/C environment over a short period of time. Granted 106 temps probably won't penetrate the box and case in an afternoon but who knows how long it's been exposed to that extreme heat. Feeling the case is an ok idea but I'd err on the side of caution, if you waited all this time another 12 hrs won't hurt.

I wrote about this before but a very long time ago I took delivery of a 1930 L-5 in the dead of winter. The case felt fine to the touch but when I opened it I watched the entire back craze in about 10 seconds right before my eyes.
    Lesson learned, nitro and extreme temp changes don't mix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Seriously?
    always in good spirit.

I, among the others, hope that your new instrument will arrive in perfect condition.

I think one can not have too much instruments of any kind, I have three Pianos in the living room.

I wrote about this before but a very long time ago I took delivery of a 1930 L-5 in the dead of winter. The case felt fine to the touch but when I opened it I watched the entire back craze in about 10 seconds right before my eyes.
    Kinda hurt just reading that..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I think in addition to finish damage, I'd be concerned about glue melting. Probably less of a concern on newer instruments but if we were talking about a 20's L5 I'd concerned about braces coming loose and things like that.
    interesting, how summer and winter bring different kind of stress to the instrument.

horse glue only came to my mind after you had mentioned it.

seriously worth thinking about, but it needs some moisture content as well to losen up maybe.

I learned in the internet that hide glue gets less sticky, with each time it is heated up, and that

the parts, that need to come off later on for repair, like neck and top, are glued to the body with

the least sticking glue on the entire guitar.

unlike the braces.

not sure, if a large fabricator like Gibson does or did that, but custom guitar shops like

Santa Cruz ect. sure do it this way, as it all so reasonable.

User Info Menu

I’d open it up immediately. He’s not in the hot humid environment of the NE, but the NW. it’s much cooler here.

I had a delivery last week. Guitar is full nitro finish.

Opened it right up and played it straight away. Temperature here on the truck may have been 85-87 degrees, 77 outdoors.

Another advantage of living in the NW. We’ve had a mild summer here…Only 1 day of 90 degrees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop

Another advantage of living in the NW. We’ve had a mild summer here…Only 1 day of 90 degrees.
    You mean the Pacific Northwest. The inland Northwest (Spokane, Boise, Missoula etc.) have had a lot of record heat.

Here on the California coast it has been pleasant. But the Central Valley has seen quite a few excessive heat warnings.

Climate change affects much more than a nitro finish on a guitar. That said, Congrats Spook on the L-5 CES. Masy she inspire your playing for many years to come.

It's not as cool as the coast where I'm at. 106 outside today and the truck will be out in that all afternoon before a late delivery. Still, the truck (and warehouses, et al) has to present a suitable human habitat so guessing the inside truck temperature won't be so high.

I don't think I need to wait to open.. but I'm going to anyway. May or may not save a few finish checks by letting the guitar adjust to a 25 degree change. An hour or two in the garage then into the house for a bit. Maybe sleep on it then have something akin to a Christmas morning in August.

Of course... that assumes UPS ever actually delivers the dang thing.

User Info Menu

"Still, the truck (and warehouses, et al) has to present a suitable human habitat so guessing the inside truck temperature won't be so high"

those warehouses and trucks are not air conditioned. there have been many reports of UPS workers passing out from the heat this summer, it's all over the news.

"Still, the truck (and warehouses, et al) has to present a suitable human habitat so guessing the inside truck temperature won't be so high"

those warehouses and trucks are not air conditioned. there have been many reports of UPS workers passing out from the heat this summer, it's all over the news.

Thanks Winter. I feel a lot better now.

Though in fact, this is apparently a real issue for the drivers as the trucks lack AC.

Going to poke the box with a meat thermometer to check temp inside the box when it gets here. Will report back.

User Info Menu

I agree. Leave it overnight despite the temptation. I purchased a 68 year old archtop a couple weeks ago. Shipped from Seattle where the temp was in the lower 70s to upper 80s to Philly where it was close to 100. Guitar was well packed by archtop.com and it arrived without problem. I left it in the box overnight.

Good luck with your NGD!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    You mean the Pacific Northwest. The inland Northwest (Spokane, Boise, Missoula etc.) have had a lot of record heat.

Here on the California coast it has been pleasant. But the Central Valley has seen quite a few excessive heat warnings.

Climate change affects much more than a nitro finish on a guitar. That said, Congrats Spook on the L-5 CES. Masy she inspire your playing for many years to come.
    A high of 72 in Ocean Shores today. Climate change is overrated…this week. No way I’d ever live in Spokane!

Packed guitar is quietly resting in the garage after a tough couple of days on the road.

Outside Temp: 109 F

Inside the box temp: 111.2 F

Waiting for Delivery-dsc_0845-jpg