The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

OK I was sitting around with an hour to kill before playing some music with my buddies, so of course I scoured the internet for guitar gear (and midcentury furniture, but let's not digress). I checked out Craigslist, then Reverb. Nothing caught my eye.

Something triggered a memory of an amp I used to have, an Epiphone Valve Jr., a little 5-watt tone monster which I perhaps foolishly sold to finance a guitar purchase a few years ago.

Next thing I know, I'm on Ebay, and there's one in nice condition for $150--a bit more than I paid for mine, but they don't make these anymore and the price has gone up a bit on the used market. These things are quite popular among the Tele set as offering premium tone at bedroom volumes, and also as a base for modding.

I checked to make sure it was the desirable Version 3, and it was. 5" later, it was mine. Well will be mine in a week. Shipping was cheap too.

You know, I don't really need a new amp. I have a small battery amp--a MicroCube--that ticks the portability box. But I don't have a tiny tube amp.

Funny thing is, I haven't bought anything on Ebay in probably a year if not longer. I had to update some of my personal info, it had been so long. But the relationship between an impulsive buyer and his source has been rekindled. Who knows what will end up on my doorstep next.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like a fun modding project indeed!

User Info Menu

Not to worry, I pick up your slack by buying on eBay many times every week. Been a member since’99, but I’ve only 905 feedback.

Those are from guitar sells, audio gear, and records, lot’s of records!

User Info Menu

I've never been drawn to this little amp, but just checked out its specs.

Description

• Power: 5W.
    • Channels: 1.
    • Inputs: 1.
    • Preamp tube: 1 x 12AX7.
    • Power amp tube: 1 x EL84.
    • Speaker outputs: 1 x 4 ohm, 1 x 8 ohm, 1 x 16 ohm.
    • Controls: Volume.
    • Speaker: 1 x 8? Eminence Lady Luck 70W.

Having the option to connect this rig to extension cabs of 4, 8, or 16 ohms is very cool. I thought it was limited to the tiny 8" speaker...(even though it's rated at 70 watts!)

I have a '70 Fender Vibro Champ that is always connected to a 2x10 extension speaker cab, with 2 CTS AlNiCo speakers that sounds HUGE.
    This Epiphone appears to have even more speaker flexibility than my VC.

Enjoy your new amp. And maybe give us a mini review once received.

User Info Menu

I recently quit Ebay after almost 600 transactions. I recently tried to list a 35mm camera for my wife and was refused because I wouldn't give them my banking info - apparently, they want to pay directly to your bank acct instead of using PayPal. Haven't really done much on there in the last few years anyway so as long as I can still buy with PP, I'm OK. Cool amp, BTW.

User Info Menu

Well it came. It was everything I expected--packed super well--the box and packing material (carpet underpad) weighed probably 15# alone.

It gets loud quick. At 9 o'clock, it's warm and mellow, good for jazzy stuff. At 12 it's saturated and creamy, like, well, vintage Cream. At 3 it's eyeball-popping distortion.

I took it to a friend's house for an impromptu jazz session. We're breaking in a new pianist. His day job is orthopedic surgeon. He's not too bad, though he tends toward flowery stuff and doesn't swing too hard. I think we can play with him with a little time. Need a singer too.

Anyway, the EVJ did just fine, and I think it could compete with a drummer with a small kit in a smaller room.

Well, only one thing was missing--reverb. So I went on Ebay, and now have an EHX Holy Grail Neo on its way. I was the only bidder--$80 for a used pedal in good condition. The market must be kind of flat for such.

Now I will have a small rig easy to move from room to room or take places.