The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

…took my Heritage 575 to band practice and plugged it into some Peavey Bandit 112 that stood there. It sounded amazing. My ideas of a good amp just went down the drain.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

But a Peavey Bandit 112 is a good amp…….

User Info Menu

Yep nothin’ wrong with that amp.

I had one, oh, about 40 years ago. Hated the name, but a good and loud amp.

User Info Menu

Bandits are great!

User Info Menu

Ditto, Bandits are widely known as decent SS amps with good cleans.

User Info Menu

Dime a bandit with a good humbucker guitar and you’ve got one of the meanest punk guitar sounds ever!

User Info Menu

Andy Brown used to use a Peavy. When people laughed about it, and were amazed that he got good sounds out ofi it, he said he got it because he needed something he could keep in the trunk of his car through Chicago winters. During the pandemic he had weekly livestreams from home using an old blackface Fender Vibrolux Reverb. He sounded the same with either amp, as far as I could hear. He's also used an Evans, with the same sound. FWIW.

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with a Peavey Bandit. I had an 1980s Bandit 65 that I foolishly sold. It sounded terrific and had a really nice spring reverb. All my archtops sounded great with it. The only thing that annoyed me about it was you had to plug in the footswich to access the clean channel, and they're not exactly pretty looking.

I guess I’m damaged by the Peavey I had 30 years ago. It sounded awful no matter what you did.

Maybe it’s the room. But now I’m curious, I’ll drag my amp over there next week and compare.

User Info Menu

Yep Bandits are very giggable amps

User Info Menu

In the practice room of the first bigband that I played in, stood one of these red stripe 112 Bandits. If I recall correctly, it was a 80 Watt single speaker model. I thought it was not only heavy, but also lifeless and above all not clean enough at modest volume. I never liked it.
    Here is a pic of me with that amp from way back when I still had lots of hair.
    I was shocked-12307506_1034317093265961_5204071893419769062_o-jpg

User Info Menu

Had one, hated every minute I had to use it, sold it ASAP ... tastes are different.

I was shocked-01-jpg

User Info Menu

Count me on the "love it" side of the great Bandit debate.

User Info Menu

Despite what they say, even bad wine gets better with age

Peavey is good at clean, the gain has been a hit and miss

User Info Menu

My recollection is that they weigh close to 50 lbs.

User Info Menu

He plays with a Peavey in all his videos and sounds majestic!

User Info Menu

I did a theater musical recently and told me they had an amp for me. After the first rehearsal I brought my own.

User Info Menu

Peavey was good enough for these guys. Don't trust everything you read over on thegearpage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankhond
    …took my Heritage 575 to band practice and plugged it into some Peavey Bandit 112 that stood there. It sounded amazing. My ideas of a good amp just went down the drain.
    I've had a Peavey Bandit 112 (redstripe, made-in-USA, jagged-logo version) since the early 2000s. It's always provided a good sound for my uses (big band, small kinda-sorta jazz ensemble). Still have it, still use it.

I've only had two complaints:
    1. It's heavy. It seems like it's gotten heavier as I've gotten older and less fit. Maybe it's absorbing water from the air.
    2. I don't care for the cosmetics. I liked the Peaveys with the side metal strips better. But this is of no real consequence.

User Info Menu

And some more Peavey praise!

User Info Menu

I report that it was the excellent London jazz guitarist Alban Claret who turned me onto the power of El Bandito as it was the house amp at my local pub.

He plugged his Moffa into it.

The house amp is now a Tonemaster Twin. Not sure if they still have El Bandito.

User Info Menu

Another Bandit user here, long time ago, decades, but it did me right for quite a while.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    My recollection is that they weigh close to 50 lbs.
    As stock, 43.9 lbs (19.91 kg) according to the manual. Heavy enough.