The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 80

User Info Menu

So I took a big chance and sent a bunch of money off into the unknown and then Fed Ex dropped off a guitar at my door a few days later.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1995 Gibson Citation-0727221125-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-0727221126-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-0727221131_hdr-clipped-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-0727221132-clipped-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-dsc07590-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-dsc07591-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-dsc07609-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-dsc07592-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-dsc07614-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-dsc07620-clipped-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-dsc07603-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm really enjoying the Citation. Sounds great and wonderfully different than my other Gibson archtops. A very balanced and lively sound.

User Info Menu

Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Congrats, If it sounds as good as it looks it's a keeper.
    Nice flatsawn back too, those typical quartered backs are kind of eh imo

User Info Menu

Congratulations! And I for one am happy to see a sunburst Citation. You’ve truly some collection! Enjoy it!

User Info Menu

May she inspire your playing for many years to come. What a beauty!

User Info Menu

Bluedawg,
    Wow! I don’t even have the words. Congratulations. That is absolutely beautiful.
    The pinnacle. If you don’t mind me asking, what does Gibson call that color? Is it Bourbon Burst? It looks kind of like Heritages Wineburst. Nonetheless, it is gorgeous. I would need a shower, shave and a massage before I played something like that!
    Beautiful.
    I’m happy for you bud!
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Bluedawg,
    Wow! I don’t even have the words. Congratulations. That is absolutely beautiful.
    The pinnacle. If you don’t mind me asking, what does Gibson call that color? Is it Bourbon Burst? It looks kind of like Heritages Wineburst. Nonetheless, it is gorgeous. I would need a shower, shave and a massage before I played something like that!
    Beautiful.
    I’m happy for you bud!
    JD
    I think it's just the classic Vintage Sunburst. The light in my house certainly brings out the red in it, especially with the flash on my old digital camera.

Here are the pictures that Laurence Wexer used on his Gbase ad. Changes in lighting really make a difference in how it looks. Less red comes out with his lighting.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1995 Gibson Citation-citation-back-jpg 1995 Gibson Citation-95-citation-front-jpg 

User Info Menu

Kinda sorta amazing. What a great looking guitar. Enjoy. Savor. Indulge. Hope you have a blast with it for years to come.

User Info Menu

Bluedawg,
    A gorgeous representation of Gibson’s premier Archtop guitar. Wishing you many years of enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I once owned its twin sister:

1995 Gibson Citation-citation-vsb-x1_1-jpg

Same year, one number apart. Fabulous guitar--enjoy yours!

Danny W.

User Info Menu

1995 Gibson Citation-80a5e4db-6e33-4822-a715-b14d165daf85-jpeg1995 Gibson Citation-632a788b-3c46-4f06-9020-aec078b4a1ca-jpeg

User Info Menu

Beautiful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    I once owned its twin sister:

1995 Gibson Citation-citation-vsb-x1_1-jpg

Same year, one number apart. Fabulous guitar--enjoy yours!

Danny W.

Thanks

I wish I could have given you my money and bought one of yours, but the stars weren't aligned for that then.

There's another sister 1995 still for sale in Minnesota.

Used Gibson Citation | LaVonne Music

I would love to have that quilt, but we liked the color and the price of the one at Wexer's. And the figuring on the back of mine isn't too shabby now that I can see it for myself.

The one at La Vonne's doesn't have the case cover either .. FWIW. Kind of funny that the case cover on mine says Gibson USA, when the custom shop was officially opened and making the upper end archtops in 1994.

Their asking $35K for a 2016 blonde in Germany and the prices I've seen on the 70s and 80s Citations are just as crazy if not more.

2016 Gibson Custom Shop Citation - Antique Natural | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    1995 Gibson Citation-80a5e4db-6e33-4822-a715-b14d165daf85-jpeg1995 Gibson Citation-632a788b-3c46-4f06-9020-aec078b4a1ca-jpeg

So how do I get the pictures to align the way I want them?

I tried rotating and saving before I uploaded, and they still load in sideways.

User Info Menu

What has worked for me:
    edit the photo file by cropping slightly or changing the angle by a few degrees and save.
    For some reason, the photo upload feature on this forum wants to rotate vertical photos that are straight from the camera

oh yeah.....Nice Guitar!

User Info Menu

Gibson's Citations are absolutely ne plus ultra archtop guitars. Yours is a true beauty.

Enjoy it thoroughly.

User Info Menu

Big WOW factor ! Top of the food chain. A huge Congrats !
    No where to go now but down.
    The way Gibson is going I doubt we will ever see one made again.
    Beautiful !

User Info Menu

Bluedawg,

That is absolutely a killer! Sort of takes your breath away. I think Joe D captured it with his comments. Congratulations. Must be wonderful taking her into your hands and caressing some lovely sounds out of her! Makes some of us jealous for such an opportunity, but happy for you.

Cheers, and enjoy the journey.

User Info Menu

BD that is a beautiful guitar and glad you got it. Larry has a Super 400 I sure would like to get he is a fine person to work with. A guitar like this while not an investment it is sinking money into something that at least has something behind it. What is behind it is the work put in the guitar and that it sits at the top of the food chain. One certainly could overpay for a guitar like this but within a reasonable amount it is a fine guitar to own. I hope you get in the practice room and play every one of the frets in with all types of chords and tunes. That will give you the rundown on what the guitar is like.

The good thing about a guitar like this is that at least for me it has a good exit strategy if things come up. You might take a loss, but you have a sellable guitar with nothing to explain to anyone about the details. These days I have learned that trying to explain something in reselling a guitar normally is just not good. This Citation deserves someone like yourself who knew what they wanted and went after it.

User Info Menu

Vinny1k is right--we may never see another Gibson Citation produced again.

User Info Menu

Bluedawg

For the benefit of all forum members, how was your experience with Laurence Wexer, fine fretted instruments.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Glad you found your Gibson Citation! Considering how much you paid for your 1993 Legrand Natch in 1993, the Citation ASB would have been $6300 in 1991! I figure an MAP of $9000 for it in 1991, MSRP $12850. I know that the 1990 Super 400CESN had an MSRP of $10 000.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Bluedawg

For the benefit of all forum members, how was your experience with Laurence Wexer, fine fretted instruments.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Overall, it was a good experience. He answered my questions quickly and sent me extra pictures when I asked for them.

He was also very pleasant on the phone and on emails. He says he prefers phone conversations. I really wish I could take him out to dinner now and then and get him to tell me stories from his past.

Many people here on the forum spoke highly of him and recommended him as a good source for guitars. That helped a lot.

Once he knew the money was on its way, he had the guitar packed and shipped almost immediately.

There was a cover inside the case that did not make it into the box. When I asked about that he shipped it right away.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1995 Gibson Citation-img_6169-005-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Glad you found your Gibson Citation! Considering how much you paid for your 1993 Legrand Natch in 1993, the Citation ASB would have been $6300 in 1991! I figure an MAP of $9000 for it in 1991, MSRP $12850. I know that the 1990 Super 400CESN had an MSRP of $10 000.

I worked in a music store in the early 80s. I was dreaming of 175s and L5s even then.

The store was a Gibson dealer, and we would get the brochures and flyers for Gibson products. Somewhere in my storage boxes are the little ads for the Byrdlands, L5s, Super 400s and such from the early 80s.

At the time they were advertising the Kalamazoo Award archtops as the top of the line. I think the list on those was maybe $2500 in the early 80s.