The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

This guitar has an interesting history for me. I almost bought it twice and then I made my own version of it, which I sold, and then I finally bought it lol.

So 4-5 years ago I saw this 50's black special Gibson L-50 on Reverb. It had a DeArmond floating pickup on it. Nothing special, but something that I knew had a cool vibe and serious potential. I snoozed and I missed it.

About 3 years ago, I saw the same guitar for sale at Thunder Road Guitars PDX. By then, someone had put a TK Smith pickup in it, and I realized that was the exact thing I would do if I got a player's condition L50. Unfortunately someone bought it before I could.

Then just a few weeks later there was a 30's black special L-50 at Carter's. I bought it and added a TK smith pickup.
    Belated NGD - Gibson L50TK-img_2089-jpeg
    It was so cool, sounded amazing, but the big 30's V neck and the tiny frets were just too much of a pain to play, so I sold it. But I missed it.

Well, earlier this year, the original guitar that inspired this journey came back up on Reverb and I bought it. I liked it instantly, and I realized there was one missing piece to complete the look: a worthy pickguard. I asked TK Smith if he would be willing to make me some guards (I also needed one for my Trenier Broadway and for my Epiphone Deluxe). For this particular guitar, I traced the pickguard from my ES-150 but added a cutout for this bigsby style pickup, a bit of a throwback to Charlie Christian and Oscar Moore. The result: the most badass guitar.
    Belated NGD - Gibson L50TK-img_4993-jpeg

And it sounds so good. TK Smith's pickups are really amazing, with the closest sound I've heard in modern pickups to the classic recorded jazz, blues, and country guitar sounds from the 40s-60s. I recorded some bill jennings on it a minute ago. I'll put the youtube clip below, but you can check this out and more on my instagram.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice.

User Info Menu

Classy looking guitar and impeccable tone and playing. I really dig the pick guard and pickup.

User Info Menu

Very cool! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

That is SO cool!

User Info Menu

Excellent playing there, too. Impressive all round.

User Info Menu

omphalopsychos,

GREAT guitar!

User Info Menu

Wow, cool guitar and great sound!

Is that a Gibson amp next to it? Which amp did you use for recording?

I agree that is a great vintage tone.

User Info Menu

Nice to see something different than a CC pickup! Really looks fantastic in black with that pickup. Great job on the pickguard too!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Wow, cool guitar and great sound!

Is that a Gibson amp next to it? Which amp did you use for recording?

I agree that is a great vintage tone.
    Thank you Jeff! Yes that's a vintage Gibson EH-185 next to it, but for this recording I used my personal favorite amp, a late 50s Fender Harvard.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Reading through this I'm remembering our friend neatomic and thinking about how much he was into this sort of stuff. Here's to him.

User Info Menu

Well said.