The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Hello!

Lately I have seen somthing quite wired in relation to this model, or may be to the whole conpany, but this model, the Excel Ss is in which I am interested in.

I have seen that some Excel ss have inlays in all over the fretboard (I think the newer ones, like a more deluxe mood) and in others the inlays go to the 17th fret, line the Premier series. But the model name seems the same, without any differentiation.

Not only that. The price in sites like reverb.com is very different. Ones by $2000 and the others by $1000 (beeing used or new). does anybody knows why, or have sone information? and which other differences exists between them?

I am about to buy one but dont know how much it should be.

Thank you all!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pablopassini
    Hello!

Lately I have seen somthing quite wired in relation to this model, or may be to the whole conpany, but this model, the Excel Ss is in which I am interested in.

I have seen that some Excel ss have inlays in all over the fretboard (I think the newer ones, like a more deluxe mood) and in others the inlays go to the 17th fret, line the Premier series. But the model name seems the same, without any differentiation.

Not only that. The price in sites like reverb.com is very different. Ones by $2000 and the others by $1000 (beeing used or new). does anybody knows why, or have sone information? and which other differences exists between them?

I am about to buy one but dont know how much it should be.

Thank you all!
    D’Angelico has three basic series:

Premier - Lower cost, made in Indonesia, cheaper electronics and hardware, finishes aren’t as nice, woods aren’t as nice

Excel - Made in Korea, overall better build quality, better pickups and hardware, nicer woods. Excel specifically has a lam spruce top (premier and deluxe have lam maple)

Deluxe - some differences in spec vs excel, but same basic quality.

User Info Menu

FWIW I really like the SS Excel but would hesitate to take Premier for free.

User Info Menu

Would not get the Premier. Cheaper hardware and materials and less quality control. I think it's below the threshold of a decent guitar.

The Excel on the other hand is a pretty good guitar. Over time the main difference I've seen is some have full length blocks (like a Gibson 335) and some just have a block under the bridge. I don't know how to distinguish this on a used one bought online unless you can have the seller look. Which you want is a matter of preference. They also have fixed bridge vs a tailpiece. Mine is the tailpiece / block model and I like it quite a lot. The only functional complaint is that the headstock is slightly heavy. Not like it dives but the guitar works better with a non-slippery strap.

I see these on Reverb all the time for less than $1000. Seems to be a good deal for what you're getting.