The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25
    Hi All,

I have a Heritage 535 that I really love. The guitar type (like a Gibson 335) is going to stick with me for some time to come. Feels good and is very versatile.

If you were to recommend a solid body to compliment this guitar type, what would that be?

I like a Fender telecaster HH professional that I played. But, being away from my 535 at the time, could not a/b the two to make an assessment.

I'd love to be able to go from one to the other on a whim, maybe keep the solid body on a stand in the living room where I can worry about it less, but forego the tweaking I currently deal with. I also simply want to worry less about the solid body, like I do my less comparable - to the 535/335 - Telecasters, Les Pauls, etc. A "beater guitar", sort of. Maybe I just shouldn't worry about it and play the 535 all the time? Though I think a solid body is different in a good way, another perspective, but I'd like it to be close. Less "context switching" as we say in the software industry. I just want the two to compliment each other.

In other words, please talk me into shelling out for the damn telecast hh professional. lol.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You have my support for a telecaster but to complement I would go traditional single coils. That will increase your available tones. Different scale, solid body, and different style of pickups.

If you push me I would be ok with a P90 neck but please keep the traditional tele bridge pickup

User Info Menu

In my reality, almost every one should own a tele. They are a workhorse of a guitar, that stands up to abuse. I would give a tele with SCs a try, and also see if you like alder or ash more. Fender was also making a pine tele recently. I almost bought one. I think it was the professional series.

I think of a tele doing three things: neck warm, bridge bitting with quack, and both together bell tones. Adjusting the height of the PUs can make a huge difference.

User Info Menu

Yep -- standard tele-style (doesn't have to be a fender). [Look at Warmoth, G&L, etc. for other options.]

This one in the Forum looks pretty nice!
    Last edited by marcwhy; 08-09-2022 at 11:22 PM. Reason: update

User Info Menu

The Telecater is a wonderfully constructed guitar.

User Info Menu

it is just a guitar, don't make such a fuss about it.

just buy it.

if you don't like it in the long term, sell it on.

Last edited by Filmosound 621; 08-10-2022 at 01:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I would say that it depends on what songs you want to play. Some tunes ask for single coils, like funky stuff... More of the same does not help you. A HH tele is in the basic just another HH guitar, although solid. If you like the tele, look into the Baja pickup configuration. They are more versitale with single coil, splittable H and out of phase...
    I take sometimes along with my L5, most a 335 or a LP Custom.

User Info Menu

Another vote here for a telecaster with single coils.

User Info Menu

Tele or Strat. I think the Tele may be more distinctive and versatile.

User Info Menu

I am confused. Are you looking for something different, with different sounds? Or are you looking for a solidbody that is similar to the 535?

User Info Menu

The correct answer is always “Telecaster”.

User Info Menu

I'll be the odd man out and say strat. Not a word against telecasters, but teles and 335s cover more of the same ground. A strat will get you a different range of equally iconic sounds. And I'll maintain that a strat single coil will make a nice jazz sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    I'll be the odd man out and say strat. Not a word against telecasters, but teles and 335s cover more of the same ground. A strat will get you a different range of equally iconic sounds. And I'll maintain that a strat single coil will make a nice jazz sound
    I was thinking that exactly. Especially those 2 & 4 positions. But Strats have always felt awkward in my hands.

User Info Menu

A Strat for comfort is my vote.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    A nashville tele then

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I am confused. Are you looking for something different, with different sounds? Or are you looking for a solidbody that is similar to the 535?
    I'm sorry I may be the one who was confused WRT whatever it is I really want. Reading everyones comments has really helped get my thinking straight.

On the one hand I'd like a guitar more durable, less expensive than my 535 I can have around, on a stand in a living room, to take to a session with friends, etc., that adequately covers the sounds of it. This is why I was thinking a telecaster hh kind of thing.

But on the other hand, if by "compliments the 535" I think in terms of more sounds at my disposal, then a telecaster with single coils is great, and obviously encouraged here by many of you fine people. And I think thats kind of where i was getting at with my post as well. I guess I thought a telecaster with humbuckers would get me both close, not 100%, to 535 tones and telecaster tones in a famously durable, less expensive package.

I have a Baja Telecaster and love it! But it's a different animal altogether. I have to tweak my gear when I switch between the two to give it justice. But maybe thats the way to go, in the interests of more versatility and to become a more well wounded player. And frequently switch between the two as a matter of principle. I'm still chasing tone anyways.

Thank you all!

User Info Menu

If you want a similar experience Dot Studio can be very good and cheap.

I would personally get something with P90s. Had a Tele with humbucker in the neck and it felt a bit too muddy and low-end heavy of a combo.

If you can find a used Jim Adkins model it is a thinline with TOM which would ergonomically be a bit closer. I have issues with guitars that have the strings close to the body, keep hitting the pickguard with the pick, not enough room for right hand fingers etc.

User Info Menu

If money is an issue, I'd suggest checking out the Yamaha Pacifica Strat type models. My second guitar is the cheapest one (with replacement tunes and neck pickup) and it's very good. Model is 012. I prefer it to my Fender Stratocaster which cost about 6 times as much.

Yamaha also makes a Tele type, but I've never actually seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by burchyk
    If you want a similar experience Dot Studio can be very good and cheap.

I would personally get something with P90s. Had a Tele with humbucker in the neck and it felt a bit too muddy and low-end heavy of a combo.

If you can find a used Jim Adkins model it is a thinline with TOM which would ergonomically be a bit closer. I have issues with guitars that have the strings close to the body, keep hitting the pickguard with the pick, not enough room for right hand fingers etc.
    I like the idea of P90s instead of the humbuckers. I'd worry about the semi hollow aspect though. Every one I played in that price range ended up rattling in the cavity somehow. One guitar I shake every now and then to get it to stop. Maybe I've lemons.

But I'm going to keep an eye on that model. Thank you.

User Info Menu

I have mostly been a HB player. Even on my SC guitars I tend to have SC PU that are fatter sounding then typical SC PUs.

When it comes to a telecaster, if it sounds too thin on the neck pickup, a typical adjustment (height change), will get enough of a round tone for me. (I can not remember if it is up or down to get the PU a little warm. I think it is up. If you go too far up, then the magnet will start to effect the strings in a negative way).

The problem with changing the height of the neck PU, is that it will effect the mid position sounds. I really like the mid position bell like tones, but I tend to sacrifice them for a warm neck sound. I have never been able to adjust the PU to really get both.

The bridge is cool but I barely use it. I guess if I was playing more country stuff... but I tend to use the mid selector when I am doing my faux pedal steel bends and other licks.

I do not believe you can get those air-y type strat sounds from a tele, but I find it difficult to get most strats to sound strat-ish. I am not a strat player so I have not really tried to dial in strat tones.

(The best strat I have played was a Tom Anderson. The second best was an EJ. I own an am standard, because I found a used one at a good price).

I guess what I am trying to say is that: a tele will sound different then any hollow body or simi-hollow, that I have played. At the same time it will not be as different then the ideal of strat tones. Dialing in the PU on a tele can make it go from thin to warmer.

User Info Menu

(Everyone should also own a guitar with P90s. P90s are a different beast and can sound excellent. They can get a certain raunchy tone but you can find some that have that element but are not as mean).

User Info Menu

If you like the Gibson vibe, I'd stick with a Gibson / Heritage, there are Gibson and Heritage models that tonally extend what you have.

User Info Menu

Surf green tele with a p90

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLemming
    I'm sorry I may be the one who was confused WRT whatever it is I really want. Reading everyones comments has really helped get my thinking straight.

On the one hand I'd like a guitar more durable, less expensive than my 535 I can have around, on a stand in a living room, to take to a session with friends, etc., that adequately covers the sounds of it. This is why I was thinking a telecaster hh kind of thing.

But on the other hand, if by "compliments the 535" I think in terms of more sounds at my disposal, then a telecaster with single coils is great, and obviously encouraged here by many of you fine people. And I think thats kind of where i was getting at with my post as well. I guess I thought a telecaster with humbuckers would get me both close, not 100%, to 535 tones and telecaster tones in a famously durable, less expensive package.

I have a Baja Telecaster and love it! But it's a different animal altogether. I have to tweak my gear when I switch between the two to give it justice. But maybe thats the way to go, in the interests of more versatility and to become a more well wounded player. And frequently switch between the two as a matter of principle. I'm still chasing tone anyways.

Thank you all!
    Well, if you have a tele, then I`ll do a 180 and suggest a les paul. If you get one with a spliced neck you can even use it in a bar fight if the baja is not available

User Info Menu

For this, I'd say you just need to just not worry that your 535 is too delicate to be treated like a working instrument and play it (except maybe in situations where there's high risk of theft or rhinoceros stampede). It's a semi-hollow guitar, not a Cremona violin. Don't drop it or slam it into a wall and It'll be fine.

Thank you all!
    I think the ability to get different sounds is the whole point of having more than one guitar. In your shoes, I'd just stick with the Baja tele.