The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I'm looking for suggestions on Tune O Matic (TOM) bridges (or any adjustable bridge) for my Ibanez GB10EM. It came with a floating wood bridge (walnut) but as far as I know, which may not be much, one cannot achive spot-on intonation with a non-adjustable bridge. I want to swap out the bridge for an adjustable. I'm guessing a TOM bridge is the only option but my Question is; Is there an adjustable bridge that will produce a similar warm sound of the wooden saddle?

I see lots for sale but which one.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

AFAIK, probably not. Every saddle/bridge base/guitar combination is different, but in general TOM saddles are brighter than wooden ones. Sometimes this is beneficial, more often not, at least for my ear. You can get TOM bridges with different insert material, including various metal alloys, nylon, and perhaps even wood. But the metal frame will have at least some impact. All I can suggest is to try some and see what you like. It's completely reversible, and easy enough to swap parts and pieces, as long as the posts are the same spacing in the base(s). You may have to buy complete sets of saddle/base, and in fact that's even easier than buying just saddles, and much more reliable. Keep in mind that the base needs to be fitted to the top, and that's not trivial, although certainly not impossible for anyone with adequate woodworking skills. I have several TOM saddles sitting around, some removed from guitars, some purchased to try better intonation. They just sit. I have no archtops with TOM bridges, because the wooden saddles intonate close enough for me, and I don't like the sound of the metal. YMMV.

User Info Menu

sgosnell is spot on. Check out pix of the great archtop players and you’ll see wooden bridges.
    There definitely is an internet guitar forum over-nittyness over intonation. Good enough for Wes, Barney, Pat, Larry coryell. Good enough for jk.

Is that SE too warm as it is? Do you want to spark it up? If that’s the case, then sure a TOM will do that.

I have plenty of Ibanez TOMs I’ve taken off and replaced with nice warm wooden bridges.
    YMMV, IMHO, LSMFT

jk

User Info Menu

Agree on each material having different tone. It is not subtle in my experience. Quite like wooden ones but the intonation is a deal breaker to me. Tried ABR with nylon saddles but that made the guitar too dull.

Currently have locking aged Faber with nickel plated brass saddles. Great quality, reasonable price. It is brighter and adds some "zing" in a nice way, better sustain as well. I'd rather have that and remove some treble.

User Info Menu

In what situation is the intonation of a wooden bridge a deal breaker.
    Seriously, as most my work was solo chord melody and truly never heard anything so out that it made any difference.
    So I’m curious.
    jk

User Info Menu

You can get a luthier to cut a wood bridge in which the breakover is in the intonated spot.
    If there's a metal bridge that has adjustable pieces that sounds like wood, I haven't seen it.
    Throw a TOM bridge with nylon saddle pieces on there. You'll see what I mean, different, not wood.
    A while back I made bridges with an ebony platform and individual wood saddle pieces that were held on by string pressure. It worked well for me but if someone played hard enough or when you change strings, the pieces fall out. The experiment continues.
    Al Carruth makes archtop saddles with an 1/8 inch bone inlay that is cut to the correct intonation of individual string gauges. Change your strings, change the inset. Great idea. Sounded really good too. He'd take the bone blank, set a piece of string beneath the string itself and mark the right spot. Then he'd cut away the saddle on either side. He could also put a piezo beneath the bone piece if needed. Brilliant solution from a brilliant luthier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    In what situation is the intonation of a wooden bridge a deal breaker.
    Seriously, as most my work was solo chord melody and truly never heard anything so out that it made any difference.
    So I’m curious.
    jk
    Sure having a wooden bridge that does intonate is possible. Even a factory one might be good enough with the right string gauges and bridge height set to sweet spot. In my experience switching to Thomastik BB114 with the high action that I like never did. Don't want to bother with a luthier or shaping my own.

To All, Thanks for the input. The responses in general were about what I was expecting but thought maybe there was some new adjustable rosewood or ebony bridge out there that I have not found in my search. I wanted to throw the question out there just in case.

I have change to an ebony bridge and and like better than the stock bridge but intonation isn't a lot better. One set up video I saw advised setting the angle of the bridge so that the A and B to intonate and live with what you get from the other strings, as opposed to the the E and e as I've always done. I got closer setting the angle with the E and e.

I also bought a TOM that fit my base posts and inserted graphtech saddles. Intonation is on the money naturally but a bit too bright. Reminds me of the Chet Atkins sound, not bad, just different. In the end it's really just a matter of preference and what person can live with.

Jimmy blue I thought I had seen a bridge similar to what you mention. I think it had an bone insert for the G that was set back a bit. I've thought trying something similar just for grins. I'm sure many other more talented ametuer and professional lutheriers have worked on this delima.

I have a classical that requires the right strings to bring the intonation to a satisfactory level. The guitar is much more complex than it appears.

User Info Menu

I've been in the exact same spot you're in, I'm very sensitive re intonation and am now contemplating whittling out my own bridge for my GB15. I've done so successfully for my Trenier Jazz Special and have a spare piece of ebony left over. It's not that difficult but you need patience, good tools and a good plan how to go through the various stages of such a build.

gitman, We're on the same page. The ebony bridge I have may have enough flat space on top to angle the string grooves a bit to further compensate enough to intonate closer to where It should be, maybe even on the money. Can't hurt to try, if I screw it up... oh well, can't make an omlet without breaking some eggs. You're right, patience is a must. I've done enough ametuer luthering on my guitars to learn that all too well.

Here's something I found last night. Looks interesting. It's from a Europian company called "Rall's Guitars & Tools". Not sure if I'm allowed to add the link so I apologize in an advance if I'm breaking some rules.

https://shop.rall-online.net/Archtop...lastic-Saddles

Tune-o-matic bridge for my Ibanez GB10EM-adjustable-archtop-bridge-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Tune-o-matic bridge for my Ibanez GB10EM-adjustable-archtop-bridge-jpg 

User Info Menu

Looks interesting. If you find a way to firmly fix those sliders in place to avoid tuning stability issues it might be a decent solution. Hope the plastic is harder than nylon otherwise it would kill resonance and sustain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pap
    gitman, We're on the same page. The ebony bridge I have may have enough flat space on top to angle the string grooves a bit to further compensate enough to intonate closer to where It should be, maybe even on the money. Can't hurt to try, if I screw it up... oh well, can't make an omlet without breaking some eggs. You're right, patience is a must. I've done enough ametuer luthering on my guitars to learn that all too well.

Here's something I found last night. Looks interesting. It's from a Europian company called "Rall's Guitars & Tools". Not sure if I'm allowed to add the link so I apologize in an advance if I'm breaking some rules.

https://shop.rall-online.net/Archtop...lastic-Saddles

There is a somewhat similar design from hofner with 4 or 5 slots per string for setting the string length, havent tried one, but they look nice and sound

Rall has it, but its available in other stores as well

https://shop.rall-online.net/Archtop...-Hoefner-style

gitman, I had seen the hofner one somewhere and considered getting it. The post spacing on the rounded saddle one is only 69mm so won't fit either of the bridge bases I have, while the hofner is 76mm and will fit my ebony base. I can aways search for one that fits the other. What the hell it's only money and I my junk drawers and not full yet in case it doesn't work out.

burchyk, yep that was my first thought, how to keep those sliding saddles from moving to and fro during tuning. If they do move that would be quiet frustrating. I agree about the saddle material, plastic ain't just plastic, there's all types and it doesn't say what it is.